"Sorta" Live from the Explorer in the Norwegian Fjords

boblerm

Bob, I've always so enjoyed your live blogs when you've sailed on Crystal and I'm enjoying your current Explorer narrative just as much - so much so that I'm looking at future itineraries that might work for us on Explorer, we've only ever cruised on Crystal but that may soon change 😁

Are there a number of bars open in the evenings to choose from that offer live music, similar say to the Cove or the Avenue on Crystal? Also is Compass Rose usually closed for lunch on Explorer? I think I read that on another thread. if it is, does that mean the only choices at lunch are the pool grill or the buffet? 

Thanks again for taking the time to post while you vacation and keep on enjoying!

10 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

Also is Compass Rose usually closed for lunch on Explorer? I think I read that on another thread. if it is, does that mean the only choices at lunch are the pool grill or the buffet? 

On Explorer either Prime 7 or Chartreuse is open for lunch. On sea days, both are open. These restaurants are plenty large enough for the lunch crowd without being as cavernous as Compass Rose. It's a great option.

15 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Thanks for taking us along on your cruise. Fantastic pictures and commentary. Really enjoying both your and Susan's threads.

1982CruzStart, thank you for your comments, and thank you for following.

13 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Panko crusted shrimp is one of our favorites and we cannot get enough of them. I’m telling The Boss she needs to make her version of them this week. 

Z and TB

Z ,you are one lucky guy!

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The brunch made my mouth water.  Just 2 1/2 months until we board Explorer again!  The panic crusted shrimp is perfect for my DH.  Keep enjoying your cruise!

Jackie, I do not think that I could not enjoy this cruise if I tried!

10 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

Bob, I've always so enjoyed your live blogs when you've sailed on Crystal and I'm enjoying your current Explorer narrative just as much - so much so that I'm looking at future itineraries that might work for us on Explorer, we've only ever cruised on Crystal but that may soon change 😁

Are there a number of bars open in the evenings to choose from that offer live music, similar say to the Cove or the Avenue on Crystal? Also is Compass Rose usually closed for lunch on Explorer? I think I read that on another thread. if it is, does that mean the only choices at lunch are the pool grill or the buffet? 

Thanks again for taking the time to post while you vacation and keep on enjoying!

Shirin,

How nice of you to post here! I am so pleased that you are following this, and that you are considering Regent.

cAPS lOCK oN has already answered your question about lunch, the only exception (I believe, and someone please correct me if I am wrong) is embarkation day.

As to lounges, there are 3, a duo or trio in one of them for listening and dancing, in one will be a piano player, and the orchestra in the third.  There is nothing quite like Avenue Saloon, however.

• Thanks 1

Certificates left on our beds last night. I am so proud.

20190811_225612-01-1743x1313.thumb.jpeg.ff9b43e06e98a96468c5ee88f1f9ec0d.jpeg

Also left our mid cruise comment cards. Excuse me, it's only our 4th night, don't rush us!

Yesterday was a pleasant sea day. I had busy agenda planned. I was planning on working out in the fitness center, but never made it as I was occupied with... sitting around, napping, thinking deep thoughts.... 
Priorities.

Compass Rose last night. It's only the 4th night and I am running out of superlatives. 

Norwegian Gravilax (always available),

20190811_195227-01-2128x1307.thumb.jpeg.52a91af5164a0431f6533a5b2cb0fab3.jpeg

Shrimp and Pork Dumpling (special) 

20190811_201537-01-2128x1339.thumb.jpeg.141abbde1c7872f37d9d3223e1931ab9.jpeg

Dover Sole (always available) before and after. Does any know of another cruise line that you can get dover sole any night, no pre-order needed? And really good dover sole.

20190811_203103-01-2128x1292.thumb.jpeg.cff82beaea24507323edc1925f9c2956.jpeg
20190811_203233-01-2128x1123.thumb.jpeg.ce4b0a1dff0ed9ef79918b1c6dde132a.jpeg

What? Desert again? But it was only sorbet, so that doesn't count. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

20190811_210432-01-2128x1011.thumb.jpeg.80273d2e645b7db6002f9b0492b94b18.jpeg

The entertainment last night was a cellist. A cellist? Bor-ing right?
Wrong. She was.... whatever the opposite of boring is. When it ended, I couldn't believe that 45 minutes has past, the time just flew.
Her name is Elena Bosworth. I know that many are not into the evening shows, but I humbly suggest that if you see her name on the program, try to make it. I don't think that you will regret it.

Cruise Director John Baron continues to delight. 

Edited by boblerm

As I write my comments, I realize that I may sound a bit like a Regent advertisement. Let me explain where I am coming from.

When I cruise, I do not expect perfection, I assume that there will be some glitches, missteps and foibles along the way. I tend to not dwell on these things, I will not allow small stuff to dampen my enthusiasm for my cruise experience. And unless it is something truly awful , (like stale pretzels!!😖) it may not make it to my report.

But in the interest of being an honest reporter, I have thought long and hard, and present a comprehensive list of other things that have been less than perfect to date:

1) one evening at dinner, I had to wait a bit too long for my water glass to be refilled.

2) on one occasion, the soup was not piping hot. It wasn't cold, but it could have been hotter. 

3).......can't think of a number 3.

Just sayin'. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We are in Harstad, Norway today, our northernmost port of call.

Accord to the Passages, internet availability may be spotty from from here on in. So if a day or 2 go by and you don't hear from me, please do not think it is because I have forgotten that I am doing a report, just can't connect. 

50 minutes ago, boblerm said:

As I write my comments, I realize that I may sound a bit like a Regent advertisement. Let me explain where I am coming from.

When I cruise, I do not expect perfection, I assume that there will be some glitches, missteps and foibles along the way. I tend to not dwell on these things, I will not allow small stuff to dampen my enthusiasm for my cruise experience. And unless it is something truly awful , (like stale pretzels!!😖) it may not make it to my report.

But in the interest of being an honest reporter, I have thought long and hard, and present a comprehensive list of other things that have been less than perfect to date:

1) one evening at dinner, I had to wait a bit too long for my water glass to be refilled.

2) on one occasion, the soup was not piping hot. It wasn't cold, but it could have been hotter. 

3).......can't think of a number 3.

Just sayin'. 

Bob - with reference to complaint (1) above --  just be grateful it wasn't the wine glass that needed a refill!!!

42 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Bob - with reference to complaint (1) above --  just be grateful it wasn't the wine glass that needed a refill!!!

Gerry, that would be even worse than stale pretzels! 😄

Above, I said: "Great idea; I lke your style and will emulate it in February for our Splendor Inaugural cruise."

Well now I give up! There is NO WAY that I could compete with this great stuff.  False advertizing, this "Sorta"disclaimer!

People will have to put up with my bland details in February, sorry.

14 hours ago, boblerm said:

As to lounges, there are 3, a duo or trio in one of them for listening and dancing, in one will be a piano player, and the orchestra in the third.  There is nothing quite like Avenue Saloon, however.

Thank you, Bob - sounds like there will be more than enough to keep us occupied in the evenings. I love the fact that Regent has an available anytime menu and like you I'm very impressed that lobster and Dover sole are on that list. I know I can order this on Crystal at anytime but it does need 24 hours notice and I'm not usually that organised.

Agree that sorbet does not count for calories (nor does sugar free ice cream with regular chocolate sauce:classic_biggrin:)

If you happen to see John Barron, would you mind asking him who will be on Explorer in November?  I'm just very curious.  It likely will not be John (but he will be on our Splendor cruise in March).  

I've learned on this thread that you are also a Crystal cruiser.  Any tips for a newbie (sailing September 3rd)?  Thanks much!

You guys have a great attitude for going on a cruise.  Your food shots outstanding as are the tour shots.  Enjoying the trip with you and look forward to be on the Splendor in April (on a b2b) for about 30 days.  Like you we cruise looking for a good time with a few mistakes or what ever along the way.  On Regent we had a few things happen, but nothing that would mess up the whole cruise.  It's important how they handle it and Regent has done that to our satisfaction.

The Brunch, have a question maybe you or someone may know the answer.  If you're on a segment that has 2 Sunday sea days, do they have 2 Brunches or just one?  So have fun and enjoy your cruise, and thanks for the blog.......

19 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

False advertizing, this "Sorta"disclaimer!

But it pretty much takes all of my willpower to resist posting about a gazillion photos, so I am actually showing great restraint! 😉

_DFC0469-2.thumb.jpg.716470b43fe57e99ddb2c7030ab6f893.jpg

Yesterday we were in Harstad (pronounced Harshta)

The weather couldn’t have been better. Our excursion was “Tronedes Church and Historic Center”.

The church is circa 1250 Romanesque

_DFC0594-2.thumb.jpg.5b9cd1c707b23723490e51e845a60617.jpg

_DFC0610-2.thumb.jpg.112e8d7e6bcb970f4566df4d745d4867.jpg

The Historic Center is a museum of the history of the Haalogaland region.

_DFC0541-2.thumb.jpg.5d2838673c2c6ee649b3f0b9a0817df1.jpg

The church and museum were interesting, but what I mainly  came to Norway for is.......

_DFC0484-2.thumb.jpg.96b15fa0b62a40db889459ef2167eb21.jpg

_DFC0529.thumb.jpg.90588f33c173f5fa20f039a61c06a660.jpg

_DFC0572-2.thumb.jpg.f636498f714f687f8ac8c18621bfa3d8.jpg

We had the seven seas society for gold and above members last night. The aforementioned master cellist Elena Bosworth performed for us, fabulous.

20190812_182002-01-1706x829.thumb.jpeg.c621a012beb03af796397181fa7bce1d.jpeg

Dinner in CR, the highlight for me was Caviteli "Michaelangelo", with veal bolognase and porcini mushrooms appetizer.

20190812_201357-01-1706x1211.thumb.jpeg.e6ea1078ebba22baaa79f2ab6d8eb7bd.jpeg

Jeannie ordered the chef's recommended entree which was red snapper. The waiter said it was mild and flaky, but she found it to be firm and somewhat overcooked. No worries, she told the waiter, and he quickly brought out the anytime scallops which she loved. 

Sailawy from Harstad was lovely 

LRM_EXPORT_3351060378198_20190813_091454464-1536x747.thumb.jpeg.9798ee956e680d4b584bb85c715342e9.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_3340090750494_20190813_091443494-1536x747.thumb.jpeg.8468d1d976177027b8f484f235501d81.jpeg

10 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

Thank you, Bob - sounds like there will be more than enough to keep us occupied in the evenings. I love the fact that Regent has an available anytime menu and like you I'm very impressed that lobster and Dover sole are on that list. I know I can order this on Crystal at anytime but it does need 24 hours notice and I'm not usually that organised.

Shirin, the items that I mentioned are merely 2 of many that are always available.  You can see the list here, just click on "dinner"

https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I've learned on this thread that you are also a Crystal cruiser.  Any tips for a newbie (sailing September 3rd)?  Thanks much!

Jackie, have you reserved specialty restaurants on the planning center on the Crystal web site yet?

We love the Avenue Saloon in the evening where there is a piano player that takes requests, interacts with guests, always have a  good time there.  If I think of any others, I will add them.

Which ship and what itinerary are you doing?

5 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

The Brunch, have a question maybe you or someone may know the answer.  If you're on a segment that has 2 Sunday sea days, do they have 2 Brunches or just one?  

My understanding is that it is offered on all Sunday sea days, but couldn't say for sure.

Oops, sorry, I see DaveFR has already answered, and apparently I was incorrect.

Edited by boblerm

1 hour ago, Boatmans Lady said:

The Gravelax was my go to appetiser as it really is sublime.

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures.

Yes, but there is also shrimp cocktail, crab salad, lobster bisque, etc, etc....😁

• Like 1