what is the luggage policy for land/Sea Alaskan trips?

lv2teach

I am trying to figure out the luggage policy for an Alaskan  land /Sea cruise. the explanation is as clear as mud. I called and the person just read me what I had read. we are doing the land portion first. we fly in from Seattle through Holland . Spend the night in Fairbanks then on to Denali. then to the ship.

it says we get one bag for that portion of the trip. Is that one bag(backpack tote) the one we need to carry with us , or will they also deliver one to our room at night?

1 hour ago, lv2teach said:

I am trying to figure out the luggage policy for an Alaskan  land /Sea cruise. the explanation is as clear as mud. I called and the person just read me what I had read. we are doing the land portion first. we fly in from Seattle through Holland . Spend the night in Fairbanks then on to Denali. then to the ship.

it says we get one bag for that portion of the trip. Is that one bag(backpack tote) the one we need to carry with us , or will they also deliver one to our room at night?

When we did our cruise/tour a number of years ago, everyone was told for the Denali portion of the trip, we would each be allowed one small bag (carry on), and one regular (checked) bag that would come with us on the trip to Denali.  Any extra bags (and, yes, some people had multiple checked bags) would go directly to the ship.  We were given tags "Meet me onboard" and "Meet me in Denali" to put on the bags in Fairbanks before heading out to Denali.

The "Meet me onboard" bags were trucked directly to the port, the others were checked on the train.

Edited by Shmoo here

Most luggage in Alaska is transported by truck and will meet you in your next destination.  Your carryon needs to be small enough to fit under a train/bus seat (roller bags are too big for that).  You will receive room keys, luggage tags for your next destination, and an itinerary before/when arriving at each of your stops.  HAL does a great job at managing all of this.

Here is a link to the tour tips that seem to buried in the HAL website:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/marketing-assets/manage-my-cruise-already-booked/faqs/Tour_Tips.pdf

4 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

When we did our cruise/tour a number of years ago, everyone was told for the Denali portion of the trip, we would each be allowed one small bag (carry on), and one regular (checked) bag that would come with us on the trip to Denali.  Any extra bags (and, yes, some people had multiple checked bags) would go directly to the ship.  We were given tags "Meet me onboard" and "Meet me in Denali" to put on the bags in Fairbanks before heading out to Denali.

The "Meet me onboard" bags were trucked directly to the port, the others were checked on the train.

thank you . this helps me a lot.