Baltimore: Hyatt Regency or Marriott Waterfront?

hucifer

Staying one night pre-cruise in Baltimore and am considering both the Hyatt and the Marriott. The Marriott rooms look bigger, but are there any other glaring differences that make one stand out over the other? Location better at one?

I'd probably do the Marriott. You're closer to Harbor East, which is a better location these days, IMHO, than the old Inner Harbor. I wouldn't have said that a few years back, but it just feels that way these days. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, markeb said:

Subject is Marriott Waterfront. If Inner Harbor, my comment doesn’t apply. 

OP was asking for opinions of the Marriott Waterfront. There are 2 considered "waterfront". One I have stayed in (and therefore have some knowledge of), the other I have not.

I appreciate all of the responses. Sounds like Marriott is the favored of the two. I am referring to the Marriott that is just south of Little Italy. If I'm looking correctly at the map, it is a little further from the cruise pier than the Hyatt. Either way, I'm sure both are a cheap Uber to port.

The Hyatt is super close to a Starbucks. Super sad that I even use that as criteria.

I fly in early that morning, so I have a lot of time to explore the area. I've been to the aquarium before, and while it was pretty impressive, I'm not so sure I'll be doing it again.

Speaking of Little Italy...what is your favorite Italian restaurant for pasta? Asking for a friend. A friend who likes pasta.

The Marriott Waterfront on Aliceanna Street in Harbor East is fabulous.  And there's a HUGE starbucks around 1-2 blocks away ish on President Street...THAT too is awesome as it's a reserve store with all kinds of other cool drinks not offered at a lot of places.  A CVS, Whole Foods and a wine store are easily walkable.  Uber is around 15 bucks or so to the pier.  

For a quick, yummy lunch, the Harbor East deli has GREAT food at decent prices and you get a lot for your money.  

I agree with a previous reply...the Harbor East area is WAY nicer than the Inner Harbor.  It's newer and more upscale.  Also, IMO it's safer (please don't flame me, I'm in Baltimore a LOT).  I actually walked to the 24 hour CVS one night at almost midnight when I was really sick and needed cough medicine.  I walked fast, but didn't feel unsafe.  (There were a lot of people out and about leaving restaurants and the movies)

I've dined at both Amicci's and La Scala in the last year or so and they're both pretty good, though food is really subjective.  You'll get other responses for that question too.

Edited by megr1125
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 6:24 PM, hucifer said:

I appreciate all of the responses. Sounds like Marriott is the favored of the two. I am referring to the Marriott that is just south of Little Italy. If I'm looking correctly at the map, it is a little further from the cruise pier than the Hyatt. Either way, I'm sure both are a cheap Uber to port.

The Hyatt is super close to a Starbucks. Super sad that I even use that as criteria.

I fly in early that morning, so I have a lot of time to explore the area. I've been to the aquarium before, and while it was pretty impressive, I'm not so sure I'll be doing it again.

Speaking of Little Italy...what is your favorite Italian restaurant for pasta? Asking for a friend. A friend who likes pasta.

Sabatinos ! 

On August 3, 2019 at 12:14 AM, bEwAbG said:

I see veranda rooms available for booking all summer (May, June, July) both on Celebrity's site and my favorite TA's. 

Summit is doing non-Bermuda itineraries in August, if that's when you're looking.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:39 PM, megr1125 said:

The Marriott Waterfront on Aliceanna Street in Harbor East is fabulous.  And there's a HUGE starbucks around 1-2 blocks away ish on President Street...THAT too is awesome as it's a reserve store with all kinds of other cool drinks not offered at a lot of places.  A CVS, Whole Foods and a wine store are easily walkable.  Uber is around 15 bucks or so to the pier.  

For a quick, yummy lunch, the Harbor East deli has GREAT food at decent prices and you get a lot for your money.  

I agree with a previous reply...the Harbor East area is WAY nicer than the Inner Harbor.  It's newer and more upscale.  Also, IMO it's safer (please don't flame me, I'm in Baltimore a LOT).  I actually walked to the 24 hour CVS one night at almost midnight when I was really sick and needed cough medicine.  I walked fast, but didn't feel unsafe.  (There were a lot of people out and about leaving restaurants and the movies)

I've dined at both Amicci's and La Scala in the last year or so and they're both pretty good, though food is really subjective.  You'll get other responses for that question too.

This was VERY helpful, thank you megr1125! You're absolutely right that food is subjective. When I look up favorite restaurants in Yelp and see that Olive Garden is number one, well...

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:07 PM, Debbdo said:

We stayed at the Inner Harbor last year and walked to Little Italy and discovered Dalesio's,  which we loved. Great food, beautiful ambiance, wonderful service.  

Thank you Debbdo!

18 hours ago, Tony O said:

Sabatinos ! 

Thanks Tony O. Holy cow, so many recommendations and none of them are the same! Looks like I can't go wrong.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 9:15 PM, markeb said:

I'd probably do the Marriott. You're closer to Harbor East, which is a better location these days, IMHO, than the old Inner Harbor. I wouldn't have said that a few years back, but it just feels that way these days. 

Marriott Waterfront no question! Starbucks is around the corner, next to the Landmark Theater.

I agree with megr's post.  

For homemade lovely authentic Italian, try Cafe Gia in Little Italy or Cinghiale in Harbor East. Have fun. 

I would stay at the the Royal Sonesta or the Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor. They are a block away from each other and roughly the same quality, so just look for price.  It's about $20-25 uber from BWI (I live in the area and have to fly out quite a bit). $9-10 Uber to the Cruiseport. The area is great. You are blocks from the heart of the Inner Harbor, a 1/2 mile from Little Italy, or if you go the other direction (right on Light) you can go right into Federal Hill. I live in Fed Hill and the food and drink scene is great. Some young bars on weekends, but there are plenty of good places to avoid the college crazy and you avoid chain food...

As far as Little Italy, I'm a fan of La Tavola, or if you are looking for more tradional red sauce kinda food Chiapparelli's or Amiicci's. Wherever you choose, save dessert for Vaccaros.

15 hours ago, BruinsFan08 said:

I would stay at the the Royal Sonesta or the Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor. They are a block away from each other and roughly the same quality, so just look for price.  It's about $20-25 uber from BWI (I live in the area and have to fly out quite a bit). $9-10 Uber to the Cruiseport. The area is great. You are blocks from the heart of the Inner Harbor, a 1/2 mile from Little Italy, or if you go the other direction (right on Light) you can go right into Federal Hill. I live in Fed Hill and the food and drink scene is great. Some young bars on weekends, but there are plenty of good places to avoid the college crazy and you avoid chain food...

As far as Little Italy, I'm a fan of La Tavola, or if you are looking for more tradional red sauce kinda food Chiapparelli's or Amiicci's. Wherever you choose, save dessert for Vaccaros.

Dessert in Vaccaros, even if there is a line!

• 1 month later...