Unexpected Expenses

oskarNZ

Cruise lines can charge what they want, and will know how popular certain attractions are.

When I-pads were still fairly new, there was a series of three lectures on board our ship; a friend on a different line also attended similar lectures, but whereas ours were free, she paid $10.

Probably a better speaker....

A small line, Thomson, now called Marella, charged a certain price for an excursion, and met with people from a different ship using the same coach line, with similar guides and all ate the same lunch in an hotel. The other line charged £10 more than Thomson. 

Thanks to all those who shared examples of things that cost extra.

I still feel a bit none-the-wiser as to whether this is mostly an NCL thing or also typical of some of some of the other lines I’ve yet to cruise (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess in particular), but I guess I’ll figure it out with more research.  

To those who who are saying they are fine with the extra costs (activity costs in particular) or think it’s a good way to keep overall cruise fares down, I am fine with your opinion, it’s just not one I share.  Let’s respectfully agree to disagree.  

8 hours ago, oskarNZ said:

Thanks to all those who shared examples of things that cost extra.

I still feel a bit none-the-wiser as to whether this is mostly an NCL thing or also typical of some of some of the other lines I’ve yet to cruise (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess in particular), but I guess I’ll figure it out with more research.  

To those who who are saying they are fine with the extra costs (activity costs in particular) or think it’s a good way to keep overall cruise fares down, I am fine with your opinion, it’s just not one I share.  Let’s respectfully agree to disagree.  

Hi Oskar

Whether you think any given activity should be included in the cruise fare or not obviously does not affect reality.

So you say you are "none-the-wiser", that would be because you didn't ask a specific question. You were just expressing a general feeling of frustration when the realization of certain extra costs beyond your expectations were understood.

As said previously, most cruise lines are not all inclusive. Some are. Say what it is that you are looking for, or ask if you need to pay extra for XXX, on Princess (or any other line), and you will get an answer. 

A good rule of thumb for the mainline cruise companies is that your base fare pays for room and board, some entertainment, and transportation to your port of calls (although this is not guaranteed). Most cruise ships have a gym and some deck activities that are available to everyone. Otherwise, anything else that is promoted as an "attraction" will have an additional cost, and this is where you would need to ask your specific question on that cruise lines' specific forum page.

hope this helps

16 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Not taxes, it was the 20% gratuity she would’ve paid if she purchased the package.

Aw, thanks.  Based on the figure she shared, that sure makes sense and perhaps similar charges were added for the other free packages they had selected.  IDK.  

18 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Not taxes, it was the 20% gratuity she would’ve paid if she purchased the package.

Wanted to do a cruise on NCL. So I got a price from my TA and there were two price quotes. One without the so called FREE perks and one with. Needless to say. I was confused. You are so correct. They are not free as with other cruise lines. However. You may want to notice. All free offers from other cruise lines comes with a substantial price for the cruise. So are you paying for the FREE perks? You are at least subsidizing it for sure. Read the fine print! NCL advertises on there TV commercials FREE. They are correct. Not charging you for the perks just you must pay the gratuities for them. If you purchased the package you would still get charged the gratuities, so it is a good deal.

13 hours ago, oskarNZ said:

Why should someone pay for drinks or go karting or excursions, if they do not do them?

I would rather have a reasonable base fee with typical things including (food, entertainment, etc), and make everything else for a fee.  That way I only pay for things I want to do/use/have.

Don't kid yourself, EVERYTHING costs.

BTW, if you want everything included, there are cruise lines that do this.  EVERYTHING is included, even excursions.  They are the ones called "luxury" lines.  Funny thing is, they have high prices.  But, they are not that much more than a suite on a mass market line, with drink and internet packages, and booking excursions in all the ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Not charging you for the perks just you must pay the gratuities for them. If you purchased the package you would still get charged the gratuities, so it is a good deal.

Maybe.  In the case of my SIL, she does not even drink alcohol.  She signed up for the free package thinking she could use it for soda or fancy water.   For what she was going to use it for, even the grat charge was more that it was worth to her.  So she cancelled the package.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi Oskar

Whether you think any given activity should be included in the cruise fare or not obviously does not affect reality.

So you say you are "none-the-wiser", that would be because you didn't ask a specific question. You were just expressing a general feeling of frustration when the realization of certain extra costs beyond your expectations were understood.

As said previously, most cruise lines are not all inclusive. Some are. Say what it is that you are looking for, or ask if you need to pay extra for XXX, on Princess (or any other line), and you will get an answer. 

A good rule of thumb for the mainline cruise companies is that your base fare pays for room and board, some entertainment, and transportation to your port of calls (although this is not guaranteed). Most cruise ships have a gym and some deck activities that are available to everyone. Otherwise, anything else that is promoted as an "attraction" will have an additional cost, and this is where you would need to ask your specific question on that cruise lines' specific forum page.

hope this helps

Could I have been more specific in my question - absolutely.

But I did ask

“..what I’m wondering is if anyone has been on a cruise before expecting something to be included in the cost and found it wasn’t?

Followed later by

“I’m not wanting to start a debate, I just like to make sure I’m informed.”

When I’m not travelling, I’m researching it.  And because I’m yet to find the cruise line that perfectly fits my family, I often browse through them all.  Yes, I could have asked the same question on half a dozen different specific forums, but I saw an area called “Ask a cruise question” and thought I might be able to ask it once.  My mistake.  

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Don't kid yourself, EVERYTHING costs.

I’m confused - when did I say otherwise?

I’m just trying to better inform myself about what’s included in the fare and what isn’t.  

18 minutes ago, oskarNZ said:

I’m confused - when did I say otherwise?

I’m just trying to better inform myself about what’s included in the fare and what isn’t.  

But again, as so many posters have already said, what is included and what is not is not only cruise line specific, but ship (or ship class) specific. So asking such a general question isn't really going to help you. Your research is better directed towards those lines and ships that have the amenities that your family wants or needs. From there you can seek specific answers as to extra costs (or not).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mom says said:

But again, as so many posters have already said, what is included and what is not is not only cruise line specific, but ship (or ship class) specific. So asking such a general question isn't really going to help you. Your research is better directed towards those lines and ships that have the amenities that your family wants or needs. From there you can seek specific answers as to extra costs (or not).

Exactly.  On the line I prefer, all non-alcoholic drinks are included and there is no extra cost for specialty dining or room service (the only food you'll pay extra for is caviar service).  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Maybe.  In the case of my SIL, she does not even drink alcohol.  She signed up for the free package thinking she could use it for soda or fancy water.   For what she was going to use it for, even the grat charge was more that it was worth to her.  So she cancelled the package.  

Smart on her part.

Yes..there are more and more "extras" nowadays.  I believe everything will be "a la carte" within the next several years...only the buffet will be included!  If the people keep spending on these "extras", there will be more of them!

2 hours ago, oskarNZ said:

But I did ask

“..what I’m wondering is if anyone has been on a cruise before expecting something to be included in the cost and found it wasn’t?

Followed later by

When I’m not travelling, I’m researching it.  And because I’m yet to find the cruise line that perfectly fits my family, I often browse through them all.  Yes, I could have asked the same question on half a dozen different specific forums, but I saw an area called “Ask a cruise question” and thought I might be able to ask it once.  My mistake.  

Hi

OK. So when you said "you were none-the-wiser", you were in fact asking whether people had been on cruises expecting something to be included and found it wasn't. Now I understand... in my case the answer is "no". I can't speak for others. My main confusion would be that how could my experience help you unless I explained what I understood. 

Again, I would have disregarded a comment like "I'm not wanting to start a debate", because that is what normally follows when people make comments or ask questions on this site. You have been a member long enough to understand that. Sorry if my trying to be helpful wasn't what you were looking for.

6 hours ago, oskarNZ said:

But I did ask

Followed later by

IMO, you  did just fine  by asking you question on this forum.

• Thanks 1

Very fair question....btw my very first cruise ever in the 1980’s I didn’t know I was expected to tip everyone the last night x 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) and it added up to a LOT!  TA never told us, and there was no cruise critic back then, and for those who say “you SHOULD expect to tip, it’s a service industry and it’s expected” - ummmmmm...18% of cruise fare like it was a meal out?  Or ????  Lesson learned!  So there ARE surprises, although with the internet and cruise critic, at least there’s the opportunity to research and not be TOO surprised...

Now that I’m a bit more experienced, I assume everything other than buffet & MDR is extra for food, and since I can pre-book shows it’s clear when there is an upcharge.

If booze is included, it’s prominently advertised as a selling point, so assume it’s extra.  Activities on ships I never know, so I’d research it here, the cruiseline’s website, etc...hopefully on board at least they’d disclose before charging you.  

There used to be a thing going several years ago when you’d have dinner and the waiter asked if you wanted water, if you weren’t careful they’d pour you mineral water out of a bottle and not say anything, just hand you a bill at the end of the meal.  I haven’t seen that happen for my last two cruises, but I’m also scrupulous about asking for “tap water”...

(can you tell I get on a soapbox about surprise charges?  I don’t mind spending money on something I choose to pay for, I just don’t like hidden charges)

BTW the upcharges - from what’s been posted here, that’s the profit portion of cruising - the cruise fare evidently barely breaks even for the cruise line, so they are constantly selling during the cruise, and that’s their profit.

• Thanks 1

For what it's worth, very few of the activities cost extra on Royal Caribbean, IMO.  

Tours of the ship, the Escape Room, and specialty classes (cupcake decorating, sushi rolling, guacamole making, jewelry making, fitness classes) are pretty much the only "extra charge" activities. 

The water slides, dry slides, trampoline, laser tag, bumper cars, ice skating, rock wall, Flowrider (surf simulator), mini-golf, zipline, carousel... all of those activities are included in the base price, as are the various shows (ice skating, aqua theater, main theater, lounges, game shows, movies, etc.).  

Specialty restaurant dining is something that I would think one would expect to be extra since they're called "specialty" in the first place.  You'll also pay extra for beverages beyond water, milk, juice at breakfast, coffee/tea.  Specialty meals and beverages can be purchased individually, or as part of a package, based on one's desired level of consumption.  Room service has a per-delivery/order charge, but the food itself is free (order however much you want with each order placed)

Likewise, anything you purchase in a store or in the spa/salon is extra, but that's also something that I think one would expect to pay extra for.  Ditto for shore excursions or internet service.  

It's entirely possible to eat several square meals a day and go to a different show each night and not spent another dime beyond the daily service charge / gratuity.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

For what it's worth, very few of the activities cost extra on Royal Caribbean, IMO.  

Tours of the ship, the Escape Room, and specialty classes (cupcake decorating, sushi rolling, guacamole making, jewelry making, fitness classes) are pretty much the only "extra charge" activities. 

The water slides, dry slides, trampoline, laser tag, bumper cars, ice skating, rock wall, Flowrider (surf simulator), mini-golf, zipline, carousel... all of those activities are included in the base price, as are the various shows (ice skating, aqua theater, main theater, lounges, game shows, movies, etc.).  

Specialty restaurant dining is something that I would think one would expect to be extra since they're called "specialty" in the first place.  You'll also pay extra for beverages beyond water, milk, juice at breakfast, coffee/tea.  Specialty meals and beverages can be purchased individually, or as part of a package, based on one's desired level of consumption.  Room service has a per-delivery/order charge, but the food itself is free (order however much you want with each order placed)

It's entirely possible to eat several square meals a day and go to a different show each night and not spent another dime beyond the daily service charge / gratuity.   

Thank you so much - this is exactly the kind of info I was after.

I started doing a bit of googling into Royal Caribbean this morning before heading to work and it did seem that most of the activities like ice skating etc were included which is great.  If I was understanding things correctly, some activities require a one-time ‘free’ reservation, but I’m fine with that.  Royal Caribbean might be a cruise line for my family to try.  

Out of interest, regarding the specialty restaurants, can I please ask if most sit-down restaurants on Royal Caribbean charge a one-off fee (eg. pay $30 and order what you want from the menu) or do most have a la carte menus with individual prices per item?   

Thanks again

2 hours ago, erdoran said:

There used to be a thing going several years ago when you’d have dinner and the waiter asked if you wanted water, if you weren’t careful they’d pour you mineral water out of a bottle and not say anything, just hand you a bill at the end of the meal.  I haven’t seen that happen for my last two cruises, but I’m also scrupulous about asking for “tap water”.

(can you tell I get on a soapbox about surprise charges?  I don’t mind spending money on something I choose to pay for, I just don’t like hidden charges)

Thanks for your reply - very helpful.

Completely agree about not liking hidden charges.  In my case it’s also the unexpected charges, where I end up as annoyed with myself as the business if I haven’t done the research needed to avoid the surprise.

The water thing is a great point. I’ve had it happen to me too in a land-based restaurant.  In most cases, I’d pick tap over bottled even if it was free, so it’s a good idea to clarify what you’re after.  

29 minutes ago, oskarNZ said:

Out of interest, regarding the specialty restaurants, can I please ask if most sit-down restaurants on Royal Caribbean charge a one-off fee (eg. pay $30 and order what you want from the menu) or do most have a la carte menus with individual prices per item?   

OskarNZ, although I'm not sure exactly how the speciality restaurants work on Royal Caribbean as we never bothered going to them when we cruised on Rhapsody of the Seas a few years ago, however there are so many included options, including full service sit down meals in the Main Dining Rooms, plus the buffet, and usually other places depending on the ship you choose. If you look through the deck plans on the Royal Caribbean website you'll be able to see all the dining places on the ship you are considering, then you can look up each restaurant and it will show whether it costs extra. Ditto activities. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If you look through the deck plans on the Royal Caribbean website you'll be able to see all the dining places on the ship you are considering, then you can look up each restaurant and it will show whether it costs extra. Ditto activities. 

Good tip - thanks.  

I noticed that we are getting an increasingly wide range of Royal Caribbean ships coming down to our side of the Equator and also into Asia, so I’ve been looking at them more seriously.  

8 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Yes..there are more and more "extras" nowadays.  I believe everything will be "a la carte" within the next several years...only the buffet will be included!  If the people keep spending on these "extras", there will be more of them!

Yes, I fear you could be right.  

8 hours ago, oskarNZ said:

Thanks again

It depends.

The steak house (Chops) and the Italian (Giovannis) are fixed price.  You get one entree, and as many of the other courses as you want.  There is an exception in Chops that Maine Lobster is extra.  And they also have a Seafood Tower that is extra.

The Asian restaurant (Izumi) is typically ala carte.

If you buy a dining package (we typically get the 3 dinner one), for Izumi, they give a certain amount of credit against your bill.  We have never managed to eat enough to hit that limit.

For water, on RCI, they serve tap water in the MDR, unless you ask for bottled.  And if you want bottled, they will charge.  If you have any of the packages, it will not cost extra.

Again, if you want NO extra charges, look into the luxury lines.  They include everything.

Edited by SRF
  • Thanks 1