Is Instant Coffee Considered a Food Product by AUS Immigration?

We are flying into Sydney for our Princess cruise to New Zealand.  Because of all the "cautions" I've read about on this board, we have obtained letters from our doctors listing our prescription meds including dosage, and I will be bringing them in original containers (which are HUGE compared to what I normally carry).  But what about instant Starbucks coffee packets?  Are they considered a food product?  Much as we have enjoyed several Princess cruises and their specialty coffees, we find their standard "free" coffee to be horrible!  Just wondering if we need to declare this on our entry documentation.

2 hours ago, Wisconsin Travelers said:

We are flying into Sydney for our Princess cruise to New Zealand.  Because of all the "cautions" I've read about on this board, we have obtained letters from our doctors listing our prescription meds including dosage, and I will be bringing them in original containers (which are HUGE compared to what I normally carry).  But what about instant Starbucks coffee packets?  Are they considered a food product?  Much as we have enjoyed several Princess cruises and their specialty coffees, we find their standard "free" coffee to be horrible!  Just wondering if we need to declare this on our entry documentation.

Anything that’s factory packed isn’t a problem 

As others said, DECLARE  anything you consume. Worst case they will take it off you and very politely explain why xyz is not allowed.  No trouble or fines.

Coffee in SEALED packaging is ok. Candy, chocolate etc is ok. Anything containing HONEY is not allowed.

Many times my airline colleagues were caught out for not declaring food items on their incoming passenger card and immediately fined. Usually passengers are just given a warning and the items are confiscated. But airline crew should know better.

There was always one with "Just an apple/cup noodles/mars bar". Otherwise legal or not,  if it's not declared,  they were on trouble. Good!

And by the way, we DO have Starbucks in Australia. 

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Anything that’s factory packed isn’t a problem 

Not true. For example, factory packed honey, and factory packed salami is a problem, as just a couple of examples.

But coffee should be fine.

5 hours ago, buchhalm said:

As others said, DECLARE  anything you consume. Worst case they will take it off you and very politely explain why xyz is not allowed.  No trouble or fines.

Coffee in SEALED packaging is ok. Candy, chocolate etc is ok. Anything containing HONEY is not allowed.

Many times my airline colleagues were caught out for not declaring food items on their incoming passenger card and immediately fined. Usually passengers are just given a warning and the items are confiscated. But airline crew should know better.

There was always one with "Just an apple/cup noodles/mars bar". Otherwise legal or not,  if it's not declared,  they were on trouble. Good!

And by the way, we DO have Starbucks in Australia. 

I'm sure you have Starbucks in Australia - they seem to be worldwide, just like McDonald's!  Unfortunately, they don't have Starbucks on the ship.  The instant Starbucks (sold as Starbucks Via in the U.S.) isn't as good as "real" Starbucks, but it's not bad for instant.  And thanks for the warning about honey . . . that rules out our favorite granola bars for snacks.  Oh well, it's not likely that we'd fade away to nothing without them! LOL

6 hours ago, Wisconsin Travelers said:

And thanks for the warning about honey . . . that rules out our favorite granola bars for snacks.  Oh well, it's not likely that we'd fade away to nothing without them! LOL

Honey and honey products are fine as long as they are declared and inspected if needed. Australia Border Force has a lot of information here 🙂

Screenshot (13).png

16 hours ago, Wisconsin Travelers said:

I'm sure you have Starbucks in Australia - they seem to be worldwide, just like McDonald's!  Unfortunately, they don't have Starbucks on the ship.  The instant Starbucks (sold as Starbucks Via in the U.S.) isn't as good as "real" Starbucks, but it's not bad for instant.  And thanks for the warning about honey . . . that rules out our favorite granola bars for snacks.  Oh well, it's not likely that we'd fade away to nothing without them! LOL

Canola bars are ok,processed packaged food as snacks , coffee .

But You will find a lot of things from home here,don’t worry you will survive.

17 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Not true. For example, factory packed honey, and factory packed salami is a problem, as just a couple of examples.

But coffee should be fine.

That’s what we are talking about coffee or did I miss something.

I didn’t read honey or salami?

We have not had a problem on the last two trips when we had decaf.  Plus it was packaged loose in a zip lock bag.  We spend a month or so in Thailand and take our own decaf.  It is difficult t obtain in some of the smaller towns where we stay.

On 8/7/2019 at 12:20 AM, Wisconsin Travelers said:

e are flying into Sydney for our Princess cruise to New Zealand.  Because of all the "cautions" I've read about on this board, we have obtained letters from our doctors listing our prescription meds including dosage, and I will be bringing them in original containers (which are HUGE compared to what I normally carry).

Oh, please tell me the original containers are not necessary when coming into Sydney!  so much bulk!

In the past when traveling to Europe, we have taken a Digital photo of Rx bottle showing our name, prescription name, and dosage, as well as putting a pill next to container.  Will this suffice for Australia so that we can leave the bulky containers at home?   

Edited by GloriaF

Gloria, I hope your idea of digital photos is acceptable because that would make life a whole lot easier for us too!  From what I've read on the Australia government website and immigration site, it sounds like they want the whole gigantic container, PLUS a prescription or letter from your doctor listing the name and dosage of each medication.

Let's see what people on the board have to say and keep our fingers crossed!

We went to New Zealand a couple of years ago and I thought nothing about my blood pressure and cholesterol tablets.

when we landed ,the customs card asked if I had personal medication, I ticked yes.

Talk about a ordeal.

I had the two original boxes in my hand with my name on the boxes 

Me and my family were taken into a room and two people with gloves and masks open the boxes.They wanted some further documentation ( which I didn’t have )and I said I didn’t think these would be a issue.They are a common medicine.

They said they are a controlled substance by prescription.

After the supervisor come in and said if we take them of me it will only give me hardship as I would have go find a doctor and get more.

they let me go with a cation.

ORIGINAL PACKAGE AND PRESCRIPTION.

Singapore chewing gum is controlled and codeine will put you trouble.

Edited by Chiliburn

Chiliburn and GloriaF:

I hope you don't mind that I copied your comments and posted them on another thread regarding bringing medicine into NZ or Australia.  I think both of you have made some excellent points that more people should be aware of.  Since this thread is about instant coffee, I think lots of people would never read your posts because they don't realize that the conversation about food products has moved into a conversation about medications.  The place I posted your comments is under Australia and New Zealand Cruisers and the title of the thread is something about bringing Melatonin into New Zealand.

Thanks for your insights!

12 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

We went to New Zealand a couple of years ago and I thought nothing about my blood pressure and cholesterol tablets.

when we landed ,the customs card asked if I had personal medication, I ticked yes.

Talk about a ordeal.

I had the two original boxes in my hand with my name on the boxes 

Me and my family were taken into a room and two people with gloves and masks open the boxes.They wanted some further documentation ( which I didn’t have )and I said I didn’t think these would be a issue.They are a common medicine.

They said they are a controlled substance by prescription.

After the supervisor come in and said if we take them of me it will only give me hardship as I would have go find a doctor and get more.

they let me go with a cation.

ORIGINAL PACKAGE AND PRESCRIPTION.

Singapore chewing gum is controlled and codeine will put you trouble.

Thanks for the feedback, even though it is not what I wanted to hear.  I guess I need to collect letters from doctors stating which medications they prescribed and why including dosage.  And bring original bottles.

I’ve answered this question a few times on this forum.

More than likely you won’t have a problem.

NZ can be over zealous and it was Queenstown a smaller airport.

But it did start our holiday bad.

Returning to the states you could have a similar experience.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 5:20 AM, buchhalm said:

As others said, DECLARE  anything you consume.

Very important! We were behind an Indian family who got yelled at because they brought an undeclared can of food. The officer said it was HIS decision to declare something admissible or not.

1 hour ago, Floridiana said:

Very important! We were behind an Indian family who got yelled at because they brought an undeclared can of food. The officer said it was HIS decision to declare something admissible or not.

Yep, another who says, Declare, Declare, Declare