Jump to content

Opinions on Asia Cruises (Singapore to Tokyo)


Recommended Posts

First I will say I'm from USA, am a foodie and don't like smoking, therefore I stay away from the casino.  After reading highly mixed reviews on RCL Asian cruises I'm calling on those who've done it . 

For those of you who've done an Asian Cruise on RCL would love your opinion on how it went, food etc.   Do the staff on the ship speak English at all?  Is there a mix of food or mostly Asian?  Is there still free tea and lemonade?  Is there any "no miss" type things.   Is the internet package worth getting or not?  Thank you in advance for your responses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On cruises that do not originate in mainland China we have found the food to be very good and English is still the main language.  Sailing between Singapore and Hong Kong we have found many Brits, Aussies and Canadians along with a few hundred Americans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, peanutbutterjelly said:

First I will say I'm from USA, am a foodie and don't like smoking, therefore I stay away from the casino.  After reading highly mixed reviews on RCL Asian cruises I'm calling on those who've done it . 

For those of you who've done an Asian Cruise on RCL would love your opinion on how it went, food etc.   Do the staff on the ship speak English at all?  Is there a mix of food or mostly Asian?  Is there still free tea and lemonade?  Is there any "no miss" type things.   Is the internet package worth getting or not?  Thank you in advance for your responses.

If you’re looking at the Singapore to Tokyo Ovation cruise in 2021, look at the roll call to get a feeling for the cruise.  It’s very popular and there are already 101 pages of posts.  IMO this will not be your typical “Asian” cruise.  Ovation doesn’t normally sail “Asia”.  It’s based in Australia and Singapore to Tokyo is the second leg of a three leg transpacific from Australia to Seattle WA for the Alaska season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Much as I love Singapore, it's  not very 'asian'  its extremely cosmopolitan with a  wonderful melting pot of culture and language.

 

and Tokyo( all the Japanese port cities actually) will be equal parts English and Japanese with  bi lingual signage  

 

we tend to eat local so if the menu would be  mostly that I'd be ecstatic.  but there will always be some basic bland Americanized food available if you need a break.  even I get tired of sushi every day.  

 

is it actually Tokyo or is it ending  in Yokohama?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would definitely be interested in hearing more about Asian cruises. I could see myself being tempted if I have the opportunity in the next few years. While I am interested in improving my linguistic skills, having access to English-speaking crew would be very appealing especially if traveling between different regions with different prevailing local languages. I'm a fan of land travel but this interests me too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We enjoyed spending a few days precruise in Singapore and a few days postcruise in Hong Kong, two great cities.  The cruise gave us a taste of Thailand and Vietnam.  Makes me want to return to Thailand, avoid Vietnam.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

The Ovation Apr/2021 is Singapore to Yokohama, and then Yokohama to Seattle.

I have a great mom and pop gyoza shop in Yokohama.  Nobody speaks a word of English but he has the best ramen in the city. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, peanutbutterjelly said:

First I will say I'm from USA, am a foodie and don't like smoking, therefore I stay away from the casino.  After reading highly mixed reviews on RCL Asian cruises I'm calling on those who've done it . 

For those of you who've done an Asian Cruise on RCL would love your opinion on how it went, food etc.   Do the staff on the ship speak English at all?  Is there a mix of food or mostly Asian?  Is there still free tea and lemonade?  Is there any "no miss" type things.   Is the internet package worth getting or not?  Thank you in advance for your responses.

Asian cruises are fun!

English is mandatory for all RCCL employees

English becomes a secondary language on culturally enriching cruises.

Entertainment is mixed but often times visual, and you are in Asia, so why wouldn't you want Asian entertainment?

Menu's have Asian dishes but don't expect it to be great.

New Spectrum has Asian pay restaurants. 

Chair Hogs don't exist - Chinese are polite.

Smoking is only permitted in the same areas as other ships, and "smoking" is against the law in Asia under a roof. 

Almost all aspects of the ship is the same, so yes, you can get free tea. 

Culturally enriching cruises mean you will be a minority, and so if you can handle that, then it's fun.  Most complaints happen because people were shocked that they were the minority on the ship. 

Been on two, and they were both awesome trips.

Internet package is up to you, but we always get a data package from our phone company instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, spookwife said:

I have a great mom and pop gyoza shop in Yokohama.  Nobody speaks a word of English but he has the best ramen in the city. 

I love ramen, and would love to check it out. What is the name, and is it easy to find?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I love ramen, and would love to check it out. What is the name, and is it easy to find?

  Hinode- cho station.  IIRC it’s a Black Line train stop.  Come out of the station and head straight across the street to the building with red stripes.  Go down that road until it dips.  Right at that cross street, ( there used to be a parking garage right there) then another right the next block.  It’s about halfway up on the left.  It’s small.  Maybe a ten minute walk.  Get the roasted garlic appetizer too.  His sauce has won awards.  I’ll see if I can hunt down the website. We were routinely the only gai-Jin  there.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Asian cruises are fun!

English is mandatory for all RCCL employees

English becomes a secondary language on culturally enriching cruises.

Entertainment is mixed but often times visual, and you are in Asia, so why wouldn't you want Asian entertainment?

Menu's have Asian dishes but don't expect it to be great.

New Spectrum has Asian pay restaurants. 

Chair Hogs don't exist - Chinese are polite.

Smoking is only permitted in the same areas as other ships, and "smoking" is against the law in Asia under a roof. 

Almost all aspects of the ship is the same, so yes, you can get free tea. 

Culturally enriching cruises mean you will be a minority, and so if you can handle that, then it's fun.  Most complaints happen because people were shocked that they were the minority on the ship. 

Been on two, and they were both awesome trips.

Internet package is up to you, but we always get a data package from our phone company instead.

 

Agree with everything you wrote.......except one: Chinese are polite.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Singapore to Tokyo and then Tokyo to Seattle is a repo after a drydock for the Ovation.  We were on the first Alaskan Sailing of the Ovation this past spring.  As the ship had been based in Asia.  When the Spectrum came out much of the crew moved to it.  They ship had dual signage but that will probably all be replaced during the drydock.  As mention the ship now does Australia and Alaska.  This is probably a one time trip and is not an emersion cruise.  I believe the roll call already has over 300 participants mostly for the US and Australia.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

 

Agree with everything you wrote.......except one: Chinese are polite.

 

14 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Asian cruises are fun!

English is mandatory for all RCCL employees

English becomes a secondary language on culturally enriching cruises.

Entertainment is mixed but often times visual, and you are in Asia, so why wouldn't you want Asian entertainment?

Menu's have Asian dishes but don't expect it to be great.

New Spectrum has Asian pay restaurants. 

Chair Hogs don't exist - Chinese are polite.

Smoking is only permitted in the same areas as other ships, and "smoking" is against the law in Asia under a roof. 

Almost all aspects of the ship is the same, so yes, you can get free tea. 

Culturally enriching cruises mean you will be a minority, and so if you can handle that, then it's fun.  Most complaints happen because people were shocked that they were the minority on the ship. 

Been on two, and they were both awesome trips.

Internet package is up to you, but we always get a data package from our phone company instead.

 

7 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

 

Agree with everything you wrote.......except one: Chinese are polite.

And the reason no chair hogs...the Chinese aren't into the pool area...but on the other hand you'll find chair hogs in the casino.

We enjoyed our Singapore - Shanghai on Mariner...would love to do that itinerary again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quantum of The Seas has been based in China for some time now,doing mainly short cruises to get the Chinese 'into' cruising & has been the subject of some pretty bad reviews,predominantly by people not expecting to be in a minority on what is essentially a Chinese cruise IMO,can't help feeling that RCI could have done better in informing people of what they were letting themselves into,we are booked on Quantums' repo cruise to Singapore next month,when we booked the cruise planner was set up as any regular cruise,showing the standard menus & restaurants,including Wonderland,that has all changed & Wonderland has vanished from the planner.

Also things which are usually free like Wave Rider,Northstar,etc are charged for,I believe to make up for the lack of takings at the bars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, snaefell said:

Quantum of The Seas has been based in China for some time now,doing mainly short cruises to get the Chinese 'into' cruising & has been the subject of some pretty bad reviews,predominantly by people not expecting to be in a minority on what is essentially a Chinese cruise IMO,can't help feeling that RCI could have done better in informing people of what they were letting themselves into,we are booked on Quantums' repo cruise to Singapore next month,when we booked the cruise planner was set up as any regular cruise,showing the standard menus & restaurants,including Wonderland,that has all changed & Wonderland has vanished from the planner.

Also things which are usually free like Wave Rider,Northstar,etc are charged for,I believe to make up for the lack of takings at the bars.

When I went on my first Quantum cruise prior to RCCL having put up "warnings" that this was culturally enriching cruise, they (RCCL) called us two different times to ask us that we understood what type of cruise this was.  Now, they have several warnings when you book that this is culturally enriching cruise.  Some people however book through other people, who often fail telling them they are going to China....and that maybe things might be different.  So people give bad reviews because they did not understand.  Just like the pricing structure is different due to various laws and the fact that in China, RCCL is a co-owner due to laws in the country.  Similar to Disney having to do things different in some cases.  But isn't the idea of going to China to explore the world?  So the cruise is a safe place to spend the night  as you move around.  But it is still filled with Chinese and everyone else is foreigners.  People with bad reviews just don't like be a foreigner sometimes, and expect things to go the way they want.  It's kind of sad when this happens. 

 

As far as polite.  I spent many hotel nights in China as well as on the ship.  Although the culture is different, the Chinese are very polite.  I would also say they are more polite than most Americans were.  However, sometime when they are on tours and in groups, they are very pushy but I think that is because they are mostly trying to stay in groups.  Break the group into individuals and the result is completely different. 

 

My take away is to always go without any stereotypes and go with an open mind and enjoy this type of trip. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely agree with you Joseph,some of the bad reviews were funny in that you had people complaining that there was Chinese food on board,like I say these were people expecting a cruise like they had been on before from,say Florida or New York where the menus would be what they were used to but the ship just happens to be stopping at some 'different' places,like I say when we booked the cruise planner did nothing to dispel that,I believe some of those who booked our upcoming repo cruise on Quantum direct with RCI  have now recieved letters warning them of the different environment they are about to enter,we booked through a TA so we have been told nothing apart from  what we have learned on CC Forums,getting info out of RCI has been nearly impossible,they have said that they don't know what goes on on board Quantum out East,very strange IMO!

Edited by snaefell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes just recently did Singapore to Hong Kong. Asians were in the minority but were perfectly polite. Maybe a short 3 day cruise might be different but we did a 9 day and no issues whatsoever. In fact the couple of Asian groups we met, one was a dad who had escaped Vietnam after the war and fled to America and was now taking his daughter to Hong Kong to attend university. Another on our excursion had fled Vietnam and was back for the first time to reconnect with his heritage. Such a lesson that it is about meeting people individually to realise we are all the same really. Large groups of any nationality can be confronting - as New Zealanders we find the Australians (our closest cousins) a bit loud in a group. Americans in a group, yes they have a lot to say lol. But when you meet people as individuals you realise we are all the same underneath. All the staff spoke English, the food was fine, not very Asian (I would have liked more Asian to try). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...