Cruise Critic Community
patrice1

Tipping Question

We are seasoned cruisers, but we've only cruised in the US. We always bring $1 bills and tip at each round. Don't judge, we know we get remembered and better service altho others may think differently. But now we're on our first European cruise and we're wondering, while we will continue to tip like we have in the US, would tipping in US $ be welcomed by staff, or should we bring Euros? I'm asking because I don't know if it would be too hard for staff to convert the dollar bills or bank them. Bear in mind, we now live in Lisbon and would have to pre-order dollar bills at our bank.

2 hours ago, rikitikitavii said:

Tip in Euros.  We were told that the staff could have difficulty exchanging on the ship.

Thanks, that’s exactly what I wanted to know.

Perhaps researching the port ship’s port calls after your passage could lend an answer.

For example, if you are enjoying a TA from Europe to America, then you may try to evaluate what counties the staff may visit in America, and adjust you tipping currency.

Then again, if you are having a great time around Europe, chances are that the staff will enjoy €€€. 

We also tip per round and used dollars and even asked two different servers and they said no problem, they can easily convert so we had no problem doing this rather than deplete our euro stash.

Also, never saw anyone else tip so as a former bartender/server I'm happy with any cash left, I'll find a $$ exchange if need be!

🙂

On 8/7/2019 at 7:52 PM, rikitikitavii said:

Tip in Euros.  We were told that the staff could have difficulty exchanging on the ship.

Not true, the crew will gladly accept any "hard" currency ($,€, £ ,) but preferably notes and not coins.

The crew know where the money changers are in each port, also they would say pay their $$s into Western Union (or such agency) and transfer the money home.

2 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Not true, the crew will gladly accept any "hard" currency ($,€, £ ,) but preferably notes and not coins.

The crew know where the money changers are in each port, also they would say pay their $$s into Western Union (or such agency) and transfer the money home.

Ok, so the Maitre' D lied to me!!

8 minutes ago, rikitikitavii said:

Ok, so the Maitre' D lied to me!!

How can a Maitre 'D speak for a 1000 crew members.