Any value in pursuing a higher deck cabin?

grimace95120

Hello all,

Looking for some advice if I may. We currently have cabin 7358 ( Deck 7 S1 aft sky suite) booked on Reflection.

Cabin 1665 ( Deck 11 S1 aft sky suite) has just become available.

Is there any value at all in pursuing this higher deck cabin?

Does it just come down to a personal preference of being 2 decks down from the “up top entertainment”, or 2 decks above the “ down below entertainment”?

We're not  overly experienced cruisers with just 2 under our belts, both on higher decks ( 11 and 12). Does deck 7 afford more comfort if the waters were to get a bit rough or vice versa?. My wife is a bit prone to motion sickness. Nothing bothered her on our last 2 as long as she kept up with her  medications.

Any advice from the community would be really appreciated.

Thanks

We've sailed both high and low and my preference would be to say on 7, honestly. With being aft and lower in the ship I think you will feel less movement in high wave situations and your wife will love you for it. More than usual, perhaps?

7 will have less soot, maybe, but if you sunbathe on the balcony those above you will likely see you, if that's a concern.

Both locations have great views of the wash, as well as 180 degree views and the side of the ship.

LOL, no one needs to see me sunbathing ! Thank you for the feedback, that's exactly what I was looking for. I was 99% sure I was going to stay put, but its nice to have another opinion to back me up. Appreciate you taking the time to respond 

It's just going to be personal preference, I think.  I have stayed in 7358 and really enjoyed it.  Biggest downside is the walk to the elevators but that applies to all aft rooms.

I don't think the difference between deck 7 and deck 11 will affect how much motion you feel.  The aft tends to bounce around no matter how high or low you are.  

31 minutes ago, grimace95120 said:

Hello all,

Looking for some advice if I may. We currently have cabin 7358 ( Deck 7 S1 aft sky suite) booked on Reflection.

Does it just come down to a personal preference of being 2 decks down from the “up top entertainment”, or 2 decks above the “ down below entertainment”?

We're not  overly experienced cruisers with just 2 under our belts, both on higher decks ( 11 and 12). Does deck 7 afford more comfort if the waters were to get a bit rough or vice versa?. My wife is a bit prone to motion sickness. Nothing bothered her on our last 2 as long as she kept up with her  medications.

Thanks

For anyone who is prone to motion sickness, the best cabin location on a ship is low and center.

10 minutes ago, varoo said:

For anyone who is prone to motion sickness, the best cabin location on a ship is low and center.

That is the general advice, yes.  I think the overriding factor is distance from center (in either direction) but I amend my earlier comment to note that you will feel more motion if you're higher up.  I was thinking in terms of the distance between 7 and 11 only being four decks apart, so I'm not sure it ultimately makes that much difference.

24 minutes ago, varoo said:

I hear this a lot.  I agree with the 'center' part somewhat but even that makes minimal difference.  If the ship is rocking and swaying you are going to feel it regardless of where you are.  The difference of being high vs. low in our experience is not noticeable.  My suggestion would be to not make that these things your motivating factor.  Pick the cabin based on what's the most convenient. 

3 minutes ago, Sascol said:

I hear this a lot.  I agree with the 'center' part somewhat but even that makes minimal difference.  If the ship is rocking and swaying you are going to feel it regardless of where you are.  The difference of being high vs. low in our experience is not noticeable.  My suggestion would be to not make that these things your motivating factor.  Pick the cabin based on what's the most convenient. 

I also used to be a skeptic, until I saw for myself that the location on the ship makes an enormous difference.

But there is no need to take my word for it.

The next time you are on a ship that is rocking and swaying badly in a storm,  just take the central elevator on the ship down to deck 1 and get off there.

If you stay down there for even a short time, you will notice the difference for yourself.

6 minutes ago, varoo said:

I also used to be a skeptic, until I saw for myself that the location on the ship makes an enormous difference.

But there is no need to take my word for it.

The next time you are on a ship that is rocking and swaying badly in a storm,  just take the central elevator on the ship down to deck 1 and get off there.

If you stay down there for even a short time, you will notice the difference for yourself.

The downside to some of the lower cabins is more mechanical noise/vibration from the ships engines.

Thanks all for the feedback. Our first cruise ever was in an corner aft, and I have to say it kind of spoiled us. Back then there was no Luminae or Michaels club, so we have that to look forward to. I do appreciate the low and center comment though. We will have to be satisfied with one of the two

2 hours ago, grimace95120 said:

Hello all,

Thanks

Not too high.  Best cabins are midship with cabins above and below.  I would stay in cabin 7358.  Deck 11 is just below the buffet- while we didn't mind our sky suite on that deck, some of our neighbors complained of noise from the deck above.  Especially vacuuming late and early, moving of chairs, etc.

We prefer aft cabins, and up high. Just because it feels like we get better views that way.

Our next cruise will be reflection deck 12 very back of the ship. A little concerned because it's under the buffet but hoping being an aft cabin the noise won't be as bad as if we were right under where the servers would be pulling their carts all around, just people eating.

If you are looking for the least motion on the Reflection, then 3172 is the most central cabin with the least motion. Central is not just about forward & aft and up & down - it's also about port & starboard - so an inside cabin has less motion than an outside cabin.

7 hours ago, grimace95120 said:

Hello all,

Thanks

We really enjoyed 7358 on Reflection in June- did not have any motion sickness altho I can be prone to it. Very quiet cabin (it and its neighbor concierge cabin are in their own corner behind a door accessed only by the room key).

We always stay in Sunset Verandas and try to get deck 7 or 8.  People can only look down on you if they are standing at or near their railing and purposely looking down.  Never an issue for us.  They would see the same thing if I was sitting by the pool!  If the head of your chair is fairly close to the slider they won't see much anyway.  

Captain Kate herself has answered this one.

WHAT’S YOUR TOP TIP FOR COMBATING SEA SICKNESS?

Stay occupied to get your mind off the motion. Eat bland food like crackers, bread or plain rice and stay on lower decks towards the centre of the ship.

Source:  ESCAPE Australia

Edited by fleckle

19 hours ago, tkline said:

We prefer aft cabins, and up high. Just because it feels like we get better views that way.

You brought my nostalgic memories 🙂

We once were upgraded by Princess and got obstructed view room with portholes.

See those portholes on the highest deck in the aft. Two from each side?

We are not prone to any sea sickness and sea was calm whole cruise, but every morning we were waken up by the fact that we are rolling in our beds. It was funny, but I can imagine what seasickness prone people would feel in our situation.

(It was wonderful cabin otherwise as adult only pool in the aft was all ours later during late evenings... it was like our personal "balcony" with a pool)

image.png.0fbe1ab3fd1871371ec6018d4ce2a4ee.png

22 hours ago, varoo said:

100% correct. Do a simple test. Take a new pencil. Set the eraser on the table and assume the eraser is your cabin on the lowest deck mid ship. Now rock the pencil around and see what happens at the top vs the eraser. Closer to the bow or the stern and you will notice a lot of fore and aft up and down if the ship is going into the waves.

22 hours ago, Sascol said:

The difference between pitch vs. roll makes all the difference in the world.

If the ship is rolling (left to right and right to left) the location makes not a lot of difference.  You will feel it pretty much everywhere.

If the movement is pitch (up and down at the bow) your position on the ship makes a huge difference.  Your experience, for example, on deck 12 all the way forward will be night and day from the experience on deck 4 midship.  Not even close.  Much worse forward and high.

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

If the ship is rolling (left to right and right to left) the location makes not a lot of difference.

I've been mulling this over. If I am standing as close to ship's center as possible, in 3172 on Solstice, and it rolls 10° left and then 10° right I will probably feel it and need to work on balance, right?

However, if I am in 1502 on Solstice and the roll is the same I would expect to feel like I was being thrown down to one side and up on the other, much like an analog metronome, if you can visualize that.

Not being critical, of course. Just discussion.

2 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

I've been mulling this over. If I am standing as close to ship's center as possible, in 3172 on Solstice, and it rolls 10° left and then 10° right I will probably feel it and need to work on balance, right?

However, if I am in 1502 on Solstice and the roll is the same I would expect to feel like I was being thrown down to one side and up on the other, much like an analog metronome, if you can visualize that.

Not being critical, of course. Just discussion.

Yes, I think my "not a lot of difference" should have been phrased as "not as much difference as pitch".  It would be more as you state.