Cruise Critic Community
travelingla

Onboard fees for internet ?

I have searched on HAL and here and internet searches to no avail. I'd like to know what the cost of internet is if purchased ON the ship. I see in my account the price of the internet packages -- I want to compare for myself. 😉

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, travelingla said:

I have searched on HAL and here and internet searches to no avail. I'd like to know what the cost of internet is if purchased ON the ship. I see in my account the price of the internet packages -- I want to compare for myself. 😉

Thank you!

This is the price list that was effective about 1.5 yrs ago and still seems to correct.

image.png.c0cb860ebba942d7c996e52b33c553

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

This is the price list that was effective about 1.5 yrs ago and still seems to correct.

That is MOST helpful -- sorry I could not locate that myself. It shows me that package is much cheaper purchasing in advance of the cruise. Thank you so much!

We did a 7 day cruise in March and ordered the 'surf' package on board.  It cost $99.00.   Don't think it's any less ordering beforehand.  Anyone?

11 minutes ago, Paulinda said:

We did a 7 day cruise in March and ordered the 'surf' package on board.  It cost $99.00.   Don't think it's any less ordering beforehand.  Anyone?

People have been reporting that the "premium" package has been offered before sailing for just a little more than the "surf" package.

30 minutes ago, richwmn said:

People have been reporting that the "premium" package has been offered before sailing for just a little more than the "surf" package.

Yes, on our upcoming cruise we can get a discount on the premium package only.  Making it only $10 more than the surf package, and $40 less than the premium package onboard.

10 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Yes, on our upcoming cruise we can get a discount on the premium package only.  Making it only $10 more than the surf package, and $40 less than the premium package onboard.

I'm finding the same to be true for my upcoming 12 day cruise.  (I'm going to wait until boarding to purchase the Surf package because I'll have OBC to use and I don't need the Premium package.)

My experience agrees with Rich. Ahead of time, we paid $199.99 for Premium 16-days ($249.99 on the chart). I thought it was a flash sale but later read on CC that 20% off pre-pay Premium (only) was a standard thing. The funny-odd thing was the receipt on the desk when we got on-board stated we'd paid $249.99 even though my e-mail invoice and credit card statement said $199.99! We did need the Premium so my husband could take part in conference calls, but it was only $20 more than Surf.

There have been reports that if you have Surf and open an email attachment that requires Premium, they upgrade you without asking, charging your cabin.

56 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

There have been reports that if you have Surf and open an email attachment that requires Premium, they upgrade you without asking, charging your cabin.

Yes, I believe that is what happened to us.  We went back to the tech guy on board to set it back to the surf setting and he wasn't very happy about helping us.  He was the only person we actually complained about because of his attitude.  Typically HAL staff helps out with smiles and apologies for anything that goes wrong but this guy was sullen and not friendly.  

10 minutes ago, Paulinda said:

Yes, I believe that is what happened to us.  We went back to the tech guy on board to set it back to the surf setting and he wasn't very happy about helping us.  He was the only person we actually complained about because of his attitude.  Typically HAL staff helps out with smiles and apologies for anything that goes wrong but this guy was sullen and not friendly.  

Where, actually, do you find this tech guy on board ?  I have gone looking for one a few times and never found them.  They used to be found near the library but now we need to go to guest services and they relay a message to him/her as they work behind the scenes.  If you are talking about the person who gives Microsoft courses, they are not really HAL personnel and have nothing to do with the operation of the systems onboard.  That might explain why they were less than willing to offer help but, that being the case, they should have referred you to the proper person.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, richwmn said:

I called to find the price for my 32 day cruise on Rotterdam

in October - was quoted $287.98 for the premium plan.  It isn't listed on line yet, I have to call the Gifts, Indulgences etc. phone.

Edited by BJzink
Wrong ship first.

$287.98 would be the 20% off pre-pay amount for a rate of $359.98(9) on board.

HAL only allows you to purchase the Premium internet package online, before the cruise at a discount from the onboard price.  For the Surf and Social Media packages, you have to wait until you board.   You sign up right on your device, no front office visit needed.   

But in typical HAL fashion, they like to encourage you to buy services or other items ahead of the cruise instead of using your HAL issued OBC.   The want you to spend as much of your money as possible before you tap into their free provided OBC.   Same for shore excursions, beverage packages, specialty dining, etc.

Does HAL offer by the minute access? Princess does that, and it works just fine if all you want is to check email from time to time. If we needed to respond to an email or send one we would type it out in a text editor, connect, and then copy/paste it into our email client. Usually ran just a couple bucks per connection. 
I hate the thought of spending our cruise glued to our phones. Just the bare minimum for us.

We leave our  computers at  home  .  We only take our cell phones for emergencies  . We are on vacation  .So why mess it up with  taking precious time typing on a computer ?

2 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

Does HAL offer by the minute access?

Not any longer. You can purchase a cruise-long package, or by the day.

Wondering if any 5*’s have had experience with prepaying for internet and if they received reimbursement for their discount by way of OBC on board?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are on vacation  .So why mess it up with  taking precious time typing on a computer ?

For DH sending "brag" emails and "instant postcard" pictures is part of the fun of a cruise.

As you can tell by the frequent "live from" threads, many CC members like to share their adventures, and many at home like to read them.

Edited by catl331

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, richwmn said:

I bought the Surf package through the Navigator app on the day of embarkation last month for $89 and through Navigator I could use it on any device, but only one devise can be on it at a time. You buy and manage the package through the Navigator app, you can also at anytime upgrade to a higher package. The Surf has a limit of 200MB per day and I never used it up on any day. My cell carrier ATT has a data plan with Cellular at Sea that is $100 for 30 days, but the most data you can use is 200MB total, each additional 2mb cost $2 more. I was able to use the Surf plan with my smart phone's Wi-Fi calling capability to send and receive calls and texts. For me the $89 cost was well worth it for what we got.

Edited by terrydtx

12 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Where, actually, do you find this tech guy on board ?  I have gone looking for one a few times and never found them.  They used to be found near the library but now we need to go to guest services and they relay a message to him/her as they work behind the scenes.  If you are talking about the person who gives Microsoft courses, they are not really HAL personnel and have nothing to do with the operation of the systems onboard.  That might explain why they were less than willing to offer help but, that being the case, they should have referred you to the proper person.

Don't know if this guy gave any lessons but probably not.  He never looked us in the eyes while working on the computer.  Jolly fellow....NOT. Maybe just having a bad day as there were others with connection problems in line. 

The IT office was located on the deck below the concierge area (NS). 

15 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Where, actually, do you find this tech guy on board ?  I

on Koningsdam he had a desk beside Guest Services and was there quite often.  If it was unattended and I needed information from him, I just left a note with room number and he did actually call me (shock!).

10 hours ago, catl331 said:

For DH sending "brag" emails and "instant postcard" pictures is part of the fun of a cruise.

As you can tell by the frequent "live from" threads, many CC members like to share their adventures, and many at home like to read them.

As long as it is fun for your DH  enjoys it then we see your reasoning  .In our case we   use our time to see more of our cruise even if it is simply looking at the tranquil ocean as we pass over it  

Yes there are those who use the internet to send on board experiences while on the ship .  However ,in our case we use the internet ever day ,at home & when on the cruise we want to get away from it