Changes beginning in Venice

uktog

I read this morning that they are starting to ban the largest ships from the channel in Venice - hardly surprising 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7335651/Cruise-ships-finally-banned-Venice-following-decades-long-battle.html

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out in the coming months. I do like the little hotels near San Basilio hope I can stay in one again in 2020 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Thanks for the link.  It’s about time, but they really do drag their feet.  Now we will have complaints about all the cruise ship coaches blocking the roads!  Venice is beautiful, but it’s a real challenge for the tourist industry.  Spoilt.

Phil

I foresee a full withdrawal from Venice in the future if they don't find a way around this. I would be happy to sail out of Ravenna or Trieste but the problem would be finding a functioning airport in the vicinity. I think Venice Marittima could be used in the future if they could build an alternative canal into the harbour. The era of ships sailing on Guidecca is definately over pretty soon. 

• Like 1

Those pictures of the ships looming over the city are terrible, even leaving aside the number of passengers they disgorge. 

That said, in the latest Azamara sale email there is a fantastic itinerary from Venice to Istria, down the Dalmatian coast, around to Sorrento and Corsica and then to Nice. 

If we hadn’t visited most of those places in the last few years I would try to get on that trip (although I guess if we hadn’t been I wouldn’t be so enthusiastic about it...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laurieb said:

We have b2b cruises out of Venice in October 2020; I hope changes won’t affect us too much. The three sisters are to be in Venice October 10 2020.

First we all go to Koper-that was why I booked. Venice is  pain to  fly in or out. If they change the cruise so I do not ahve to lfy home from Venice great. As far as sailing into Venice it was lovely both times.  But we need to keep Venice safe from ships.

2 hours ago, laurieb said:

We have b2b cruises out of Venice in October 2020; I hope changes won’t affect us too much. The three sisters are to be in Venice October 10 2020.

You know the saying "Rome wasn't built in a day"?  There's a reason the city chosen for the illustration is in Italy.  Maybe my grandkids won't be able to sail into Venice, but I'm betting I'll have another chance or two before these changes are in place. :classic_cool:

• Like 3

Doubt that it will actually happen as the Italians have been talking about it for years but as far as I am concerned - it is about time.  If you want to see Venice by water, take the local public transport.

DON

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 2:14 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

You know the saying "Rome wasn't built in a day"?  There's a reason the city chosen for the illustration is in Italy.  Maybe my grandkids won't be able to sail into Venice, but I'm betting I'll have another chance or two before these changes are in place. :classic_cool:

Indeed. I'm reminded of the old bit:

Welcome to Heaven: We have French chefs, English policemen, German mechanics, and Italian lovers. It's all organised by the Swiss.

Welcome to Hell: We have English chefs, German policemen, French mechanics, and Swiss lovers. It's all organised by the Italians.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3