tobacco bay or Crystal Beach

Bdoeb

Hi, 

I am cruising to Bermuda for my 4th visit and go, primarily, to take pictures and enjoy the nature experiences.  Due to time constraints, I will not have time to get to both of the above mentioned beaches. In terms of good photography, which one should I choose?   I am not into snorkeling or swimming, especially the end of October.

Bdoeb

1 hour ago, Bdoeb said:

Hi, 

I am cruising to Bermuda for my 4th visit and go, primarily, to take pictures and enjoy the nature experiences.  Due to time constraints, I will not have time to get to both of the above mentioned beaches. In terms of good photography, which one should I choose?   I am not into snorkeling or swimming, especially the end of October.

Bdoeb

Never heard of a Crystal Beach. There is a Crystal Cave. The most photogenic beaches are the South Shore beaches where the sand has a pink tint. Horseshoe Bay is the easiest to get to. I would pick it over Tobacco Bay. Or Crystal Caves for good photography. Although you can do good photography in the cave too. 

Edited by Charles4515

Tobacco Bay is my least favorite beach on Bermuda. It also gets extremely crowded because it's small, so your photos will mostly be filled with other beachgoers unless you get there very early. There are other good photo opportunities in and around St. George as a whole though.

If you really want good beach photo opportunities, I'd go out to Cooper's Island Nature reserve. There are beaches all around and great views if you walk past Turtle Bay to Long Bay and the observation tower.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you figured out I meant Clear water beach, not crystal. Good grief.  The benefit of Tobacco Bay is it's proximity to Ft. St. Catherines. But Clearwater is near the nature preserve.  I assume for photographs, Clearwater is the better choice. Also, I think it is a bit hard to get to, no?

Anyway, I appreciate the repsponses. Since I've been to Bermuda 3 times prior, I have done most of the south shore beaches. I walked from Atswood Park to HorseShoe Bay, so saw and photographed a lot along there. I love the varigated shades of jade in the water and the rock formations.

Clearwater, not Crystal, yes! Sorry that I misspoke also! 

We did Clearwater on our last two trips to Bermuda. It takes a bit of knowledge on the bus system, but is not really too difficult. As mentioned, we took a bus from St George. There are buses that go directly to the beach, but they are infrequent. But, there are frequent buses that will drop you off at an intersection that require you to walk about 10 to 15 minutes to the beach. Always you can catch a bus back to St George if you are willing to wait.

The beach is well worth any inconvenience, but you must allow the entire day for the excursion. Taxis are available but since never having used them, I do not know the cost.

Thanks for your help. I think I am going to Tobacco Bay. I hear it is very scenic. It is easier to get to than Clearwater. It is near St. Georges and St. Catherine's Fort, so I think we are going there. My travel companion has never been to Bermuda, so I think that would be better for her as well.  I've been to Bermuda 3 times before, and if not so expensive, would love to fly down for a week.  I just love it there. Eventually, I will probably get to Clearwater on another trip, since I know I will go back again!