cruise ship transfers

52 minutes ago, tally111 said:

can't remember the response i may have gotten about transfers from cruise ship in san pedro(royal princess) to LAX. Is it better to use the ship transfer and what is the cost?

For an easily accessible port like San Pedro we never use transfers.

You have several options

Uber/Lyft based on demand usually under $35/car/4 people

Super Shuttle/Prime Time Shuttle Under $20 pp

Taxi they have a set rate around $60/car 4 people

We have cruised out of San Pedro many times.  We have taken many forms of transportation to the port and we have finally settled on Princess transfers.  When we fly into LAX it makes it less stressful for us.  They are always waiting for us, they collect the luggage and wait with us for the shuttle to the Marriott.  We need accessible transportation and they never have failed us.  Princess is great!

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2019 at 11:49 AM, tcworld said:

We have cruised out of San Pedro many times.  We have taken many forms of transportation to the port and we have finally settled on Princess transfers.  When we fly into LAX it makes it less stressful for us.  They are always waiting for us, they collect the luggage and wait with us for the shuttle to the Marriott.  We need accessible transportation and they never have failed us.  Princess is great!

Do you fly in the day before?  I didn't realize Princess would do transfers to hotels.  Any extra information would be greatly appreciated 😊

We always fly in early, and fly out the day after disembarkation. Flying back to the east coast the same day has you landing late evening. No longer our thing. We always use a group shuttle like Super Shuttle. Have not experienced negative issues.

12 minutes ago, JKulessa said:

Do you fly in the day before?  I didn't realize Princess would do transfers to hotels.  Any extra information would be greatly appreciated 😊

The Princess transfer to a hotel if you fly in the day before your cruise is part of the Princess extend your stay package which you buy.  It includes the airport to hotel transfer, the hotel room for the night, and the transfer to the ship the next day.

In the past, sometimes when we have flown in on the day of the cruise and had purchased the Princess transfer from airport to ship Princess bused us to the hotel where we waited for later arrivals before boarding buses to the ship.  Since then we have been bused directly from the airport to the ship.

We live here in the San Diego  .when we take any cruise from San Pedro we drive up the night before & stay at the Hilton double Tree Hotel  who will shuttle you to & from the port  free .All you do is sign up . In our case booking there we can leave our car with free parking ;which is a big savings for us  .

If we were flying into either Long Beach airport (closest to the port ) or LAX  ,we would definitely take a Uber  to the port because it is direct & only for us & the least costly  .Just be careful in that not to try & fly in the same day of the cruise  ;because not only flight delays ;but ,LA traffic can be really mean (estremely heavy on the freeways

37 minutes ago, JKulessa said:

They do not unless you purchase a hotel package through Princess which does include transfers to the hotel and then to the port.

When we sail out of San Pedro we take the Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle to the Crowne Plaza which is right beside the port the day before we sail.  We get a room with a view of the port so that we can watch the ship arrive the next morning.  The hotel has a shuttle to the ship about a mile by road or walking about half a mile.  Walking with luggage is not for us.  The hotel is right next to the USS Iowa battleship with easy walking distance.  If you book the transfer online they give a discount.  When we debark there is always a pre-paid shuttle waiting to take us back to LAX.  Later this year we will be doing it again for our cruise to HI.  

55 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

When we sail out of San Pedro we take the Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle to the Crowne Plaza which is right beside the port the day before we sail.  We get a room with a view of the port so that we can watch the ship arrive the next morning.  The hotel has a shuttle to the ship about a mile by road or walking about half a mile.  Walking with luggage is not for us.  The hotel is right next to the USS Iowa battleship with easy walking distance.  If you book the transfer online they give a discount.  When we debark there is always a pre-paid shuttle waiting to take us back to LAX.  Later this year we will be doing it again for our cruise to HI.  

This past March the on line shuttle price, Super Shuttle, was actually a few dollars more than what we paid with no reservation right at the pier.

14 minutes ago, worldtraveller said:

If you do a Princess transfer do you have to collect your suitcases when you get off at the port or do they automatically handle it for you so you just have deal with your hand luggage?

You have to collect your luggage then take it to the Princess representative that will be in the baggage claim area.  Sometimes they take it from there and sometimes you have to move it to the bus.

20 hours ago, satxdiver said:

We do exact same thing, but we do not pre-booked, lots of shuttles just outside they maybe are right there or you have to wait maybe 20 minutes.  Last time we did it, we were only two people, used super shuttle, so had a direct trip to hotel.  

5 hours ago, worldtraveller said:

Sorry I meant after you take the bus from the airport to the cruise port.  Do you have to collect them from under the bus when you arrive at your ship and turn them in to a porter or does Princess handle that for you?

Our luggage showed up in our cabin. We did not have to deal with it after getting on the coach.  (airport to ship)

6 hours ago, worldtraveller said:

If you do a Princess transfer do you have to collect your suitcases when you get off at the port or do they automatically handle it for you so you just have deal with your hand luggage?

When disembarking and taking a transfer---you collect your luggage, go outside and there will be Princess reps directing you to the coach taking you to the airport. You will be taking your own luggage to the coach and getting it again as you get off the coach before checking in for your flight.

or

If you are taking a Princess disembark tour with airport drop off the reps will tell you what to do re: luggage. Last time I did this I put my tags on the bags, put them in hall the night before I disembarked and next time I saw them was after the tour when I arrived at the airport. A number of Princess reps were standing with the bags outside the airport door.

The transfers worked well for me in Europe & South America, but at San Pedro I would just arrange uber, shuttle or taxi. There is also Enterprise car rental nearby.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:02 PM, JKulessa said:

Princess runs buses for the folks they've sold pre-cruise hotel stays, but will not normally sell seats on those buses to others.

In San Pedro, that's not really an issue because several hotels there run free shuttles to and from the World Cruise Terminal.  Two will even park your car for the duration, as well.