Equinox Retreat

Pickels

For those who have hung out on the Retreat Sun Deck--- Nice?  Windy?  Worth It?  Not Worth It?

Please advise if you have any Pros/Cons, we would really appreciate it!  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Pickels said:

For those who have hung out on the Retreat Sun Deck--- Nice?  Windy?  Worth It?  Not Worth It?

Please advise if you have any Pros/Cons, we would really appreciate it!  Thanks.

Also interested, we board in September. We are particularly interested in the service levels...

From reviews I have read and pics I have seen posted, very little shade, no bar (staff goes elsewhere to get drinks) and one person commented that it was very windy. We have no interest in baking in the sun, so doubt we will use this at all on our next cruise in a suite.  I did get a chance to peer up at the space when on EQ last month. (not in a suite then) Couldn't see much, but certainly didn't look very inviting. 

The Retreat Sundeck on the Equinox very nice. It is generally deserted from passengers, except on sea days when there might only be 15-20 people gathered on the side of deck where there is shade. The padded loungers, tables, and sunbeds are much nicer than those available elsewhere on the ship with the exception of maybe the solarium.

Servers rove asking for your drink orders and will get you anything available on board. For lunches between about 11 and 2:30, they offer 5 simple options like Luminae hamburger, fruit plate, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, and chicken sandwich. They also offer iced towels to cool you off.

This brings me to the biggest negative about the space: it's too hot. There is not hot tub, pool, shower, or misters to cool you in the intense Caribbean sun. The deck and even the side tables are so hot, they'll burn your bare skin. They plan to add some water features in the space at the basketball court during the final dry dock in 2021. 

It's really too bad about the deck. I imagine in cooler or more cloudy weather, it will be wonderful. I used it for a while last week, and had to walk down to the solarium pool a couple of times to cool off.

EquinoxRetreat.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, misterkevin said:

The Retreat Sundeck on the Equinox very nice. It is generally deserted from passengers, except on sea days when there might only be 15-20 people gathered on the side of deck where there is shade. The padded loungers, tables, and sunbeds are much nicer than those available elsewhere on the ship with the exception of maybe the solarium.

Servers rove asking for your drink orders and will get you anything available on board. For lunches between about 11 and 2:30, they offer 5 simple options like Luminae hamburger, fruit plate, Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, and chicken sandwich. They also offer iced towels to cool you off.

This brings me to the biggest negative about the space: it's too hot. There is not hot tub, pool, shower, or misters to cool you in the intense Caribbean sun. The deck and even the side tables are so hot, they'll burn your bare skin. They plan to add some water features in the space at the basketball court during the final dry dock in 2021. 

It's really too bad about the deck. I imagine in cooler or more cloudy weather, it will be wonderful. I used it for a while last week, and had to walk down to the solarium pool a couple of times to cool off.

EquinoxRetreat.jpg

Are the servers dedicated to that area or the same staff serving all the pool areas?  

Are the drinks complimentary or do you pay if you don’t have a drink pack?  

Thanks 

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

1 hour ago, miched said:

Are the servers dedicated to that area or the same staff serving all the pool areas?  

Yes, there are plenty of servers in this area dedicated to the suite passengers here. Some of them are wait staff from Luminae. Service was excellent.

1 hour ago, miched said:

Are the drinks complimentary or do you pay if you don’t have a drink pack?  

No, not on the Retreat Sundeck like they are in the lounge. The staff asked me for my Sea Pass card when I ordered drinks or water. I would imagine, however, many suite passengers have a drink package as part of their perks?

21 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Need to book a couple of cruises aboard Reflection before they ruin this ship as well.  According to the published dry dock schedule that will be downgraded in 2023.

This isn't a downgrade. It's an upgrade. While this area is now off limits for non-suite passengers, many other areas of the ship are upgraded with the Revolution. Many cabins are refreshed, there are new towels. beds, and linens, lounges have been redecorated, new carpeting is installed, and more. Further, if you're looking for a place on the Equinox like this where it's quiet and away from the crowds at the pool, you can find the Spa deck in front of the gym on 12 now is filled with loungers and they were almost always empty. Also the deck in front of the basketball court is filled with loungers, and it was very quiet. Things change, but it's not all bad. It just depends on your outlook.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

This isn't a downgrade...........

Absolutely a DOWNGRADE.  

Reducing the already crowded deck space is degrading the space for the majority.

Let their newer ship have the 'ship within a ship' concept but why destroy what many previously enjoyed.  

If I want to pay suite prices there is so much better like MSC Yacht Club which definitely better and cheaper.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, misterkevin said:

EquinoxRetreat.jpg

Do you know when in 2021 the second dry dock is?  I am wanting to cancel my March 2021 cruise if there is no water features.  I’m not talking about a hot tub because that would not cool me down and I don’t do public ones.  I would be happy with just a shower with cold water!  Maybe they can bring a hose up there and hose us down!!

• Haha 1

On 8/10/2019 at 12:00 PM, riredsox said:

Do you know when in 2021 the second dry dock is?  I am wanting to cancel my March 2021 cruise if there is no water features.  I’m not talking about a hot tub because that would not cool me down and I don’t do public ones.  I would be happy with just a shower with cold water!  Maybe they can bring a hose up there and hose us down!!

No, I can't find the exact date, nor could I google it. Maybe somebody else here knows?

I wouldn't cancel due to this, unless you're used to a smaller ship where it's easier to find a lounger. The caribbean isn't quite as hot in March as it is in July/August, and the other benefits are so worthwhile in my opinion, it wasn't a dealbreaker, just unfortunate.

42 minutes ago, Hypo said:

My wife has mobility issues and cannot climb stairs.  Is there elevator access to the Retreat sundeck?

Thanks

Right now, No, because of the shortened Dry Dock. It is planned for the 2nd dry dock in early 2021.

3 hours ago, Hypo said:

My wife has mobility issues and cannot climb stairs.  Is there elevator access to the Retreat sundeck?

Thanks

No there is no elevator. I had a torn meniscus and climbed the stairs to get there daily. 😨 

First come, first served. If there was shade available, it was delightful and serene. There were always plenty of staff on hand to serve your favorite beverages. As others mentioned, snacks and lunch available specific hours as well. If there was no shade available I left. 🤷‍♀️

Our shaded balcony on deck 12 did not get used nearly as much this year over last year because we could not stand the uncomfortable straight back chairs. Were they placed there to "encourage" guests to head to the Retreat deck at the opposite end of the ship? 🤔

We were aboard for two weeks in June and in all fairness, there were people sunbathing. Sunbathing in the Caribbean will be much more tolerable in February than June, July or August. I have never and would never use a public hot tub, swimming pool out of desperation, but lacking both of these in the Retreat, there should be at least a shower to cool off. 

Full disclosure, none of the above detracted from our cruise vacation and we returned home and booked the Equinox again for June 2020. Just keeping it real. 🤨

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 1:40 PM, misterkevin said:

The Retreat Sundeck ...

Edited  .....................see post above

EquinoxRetreat.jpg

The area  looks really nice..

Adding more shade, a  nice fixed canopy over lounger areas, and some misters,  even in the short run, could be a big help   

Hope they post warning signs about surfaces and the deck being very hot!  

20 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Well, if there's no elevator access, I won't be going up there.

If no pool, misters or hot tub, I won't be up there either. I could bring up a kiddie inflatable pool but where would I get the water?