cruise vs. cozumel resort

quilty964

Hi all, we took our first cruise in June to Alaska.  We were on the Westerdam, and loved both the cruise and land portions of our journey.  We are thinking of taking a winter caribbean cruise.  We usually spend a week in Cozumel at an All Inclusive resort.  We like to relax at the beach!  Can you just "relax" on a cruise??  I feel like we would have to see things in the ports, and it might not be as restful as a resort.   Decisions!! 

You can research the various islands to see what there is to do on them.  Many are just beach breaks.  You can do as little or as much as you want.  On a cruise, you wake up in a different area every day so there can be more variety, depending on the itinerary.  I started doing winter cruises to get out of the cold and love them for that aspect alone.  I'm not much of a beach person, though.

• Like 2

I love Coz. I would go there for a week in a minute but, I would never stay in an AI there. There is just so much to do and so many great local places to eat. We like cruises for where they takes us. We like to explore. On sea days it is easy to relax...but, it is not like being on a beach. 

• Like 2

Yes you can relax on a cruise ship.  That's what we usually do.  We go for the sunshine and warm weather, hang out at the pool, have a couple of beverages, go to the different music venues, have very good food and visit some of the ports for a bit. It's all low key stuff so no stress.  Of course my perception of relaxing may be different than yours and don't forget you are asking a question on a cruise site so opinions will slant that way!    Try a cruise and see if you like it or not.

• Like 3

The last AI I stayed at had terrible food.  The only way to get a decent meal was to go next door to the sister resort.  It was one of the reasons we decided to try a cruise for the first time.  Much better, more consistent experience.

• Like 2

It also depends on the cabin you select.  Once we were in an aft-wrap suite and in one port we decided to just sit on the HUGE balcony and watch the port activites (there were alot) instead of going ashore.  Food just a short walk (or phone call) away, pool one deck away, and other things closeby!

• Like 1

Being at a resort in Cozumel is far more relaxing than being on a cruise.  If I could only choose one, it would be an all-inclusive vacation over a cruise.  I have been on a number of cruises (I have 2 currently booked) but I go on 2 all-inclusive's most years as well. If you need a vacation just to unwind, and relax the mind, AI is the way to go.

Cruise-ships are bustling all the time and unless you rent a cabana, and like being by the pool, chairs are at a premium.

I love being pampered at a resort without all the up-charges, and the water is so great at Cozumel and no extra cost to snorkel.

Cruise excursions or leaving the resort to explore the areas are your choices so similar no matter what you choose.  Typically we are resort dwellers.

• Like 1

The three reasons that people go on cruises is to see new things, relax and eat. Sounds like you are "relax". Some of my best cruise days are in port and stay on the ship. Second best might be sea days. Yes, I love to see new things but at "this" age I seek moderation.

Also three days in FLL followed by a 10 day cruise could be pretty nice. 

It is probably about picking the right cruise.

• Like 1

These are different experiences.  One is not better than the other.  Strictly down to personal preference.  We do both.  Sometimes last minute.  Last November we did it on our own. Spent a week in Puerto Morales and a week in Playa.  It was wonderful and a very nice change from cruising or AI's.     Thinking of doing the same in Jan/Feb.  A month of beaches traveling up the Pacific coast of Mexico.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jlocole said:

Cruise-ships are bustling all the time and unless you rent a cabana, and like being by the pool, chairs are at a premium.

That was one of my questions....enough chair space for everyone??  Thanks

19 minutes ago, ktbraun said:

Thanks for the responses!  We loved the cruise to Alaska...may just have to try the Caribbean next! 

We have gotten to the point where we treat our Caribbean cruises the same as one would an All Inclusive resort.  With a couple of exceptions we don't even get off the ship at most ports.  We have a couple of times done a "day package" at certain hotels right on a beach but in all honesty those still tend to make a day a bit hectic with all the getting to and back one must do.  It can be rather nice to sit by the pool just relaxing onboard while most others are out attempting to spend lots of money at jewelry stores or just site seeing.   Now, in all fairness, I will admit we live 5 minutes from the beach here which stops us from hunting ones down on the visited islands.  

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 8:44 AM, twodjs said:

You are never obligated to get off the ship at any port. We do Mexico cruises and never get off the ship. The aft corner wrap around suite is great and we can trust the drinks. 

My brother and his husband do that in the Caribbean.  They don't trust the food on shore and hate the vendors.  So they just stay on the ship, work on their tan and spend time in the gym. All inclusives we find very hit and miss. Sometimes the other customers are so rude and often the pricing is more expensive. 

• Like 1

It sounds as though you may be a little conflicted about making this decision.  You have to do what's best for you.  

Many CC members have given you some good information, things you may not have considered.  After taking over 35 cruises, I love cruises, most of those have been to the Caribbean.  If you pay for a balcony cabin, you can relax any time day or night on your balcony.  You mentioned that you love walking along a beach.  Research the beaches at each port-of-call.  Can you easily reach a particular beach by taxi for a reasonable fare, or would you prefer to rent a car?  (If renting, make certain the pick-up location is at the pier, as it saves you time.)  

We've stayed at several all-inclusive resorts (Five Star) and loved the experiences.  We prefer cruising, however.  As I said earlier, you have to decide what's best for you.  Let us know what you decide.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 12:12 PM, ktbraun said:

That was one of my questions....enough chair space for everyone??  Thanks

On Holland we seldom notice a chair space issue, and if there is at the Lido pool, just go to the seaview pool.

On Carnival however - it was a zoo!

• Like 1