Irish Pub in Portland?

Kartgv

Back in 2013, we visited Portland and my sister (living there at the time) took us to a great place called Ri Ra Irish Pub for lunch. Ā  Apparently it's an authentic Irish pub, dismantled in Ireland and rebuilt in Portland. Ā  I've Googled it and apparently it's still there, but never comes up in recommendations on where to eat. Ā Ā  Does anyone know anything about it currently? Ā  We're visiting again in September and their website isn't very clear on whether it's open for lunch. Ā Ā 

7 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

While I can't answer your questions about Ri Ra, the reason it doesn't usually come up as a recommendation is that most people are looking for lobster and seafood when visiting Portland, not an Irish Pub.

Wow, so that has to go down as the least helpful answer ever given on this board. Always good to assume what people want.Ā 

Ā 

Yes-- Ri Ra does exist and is a popular spot. Its part of a national chain and frankly there are better Irish bars in town like Bull Feeney's.Ā 

Been to both Ri Ra and Bull Feeney's and I also prefer Bull Feeney's.Ā  Their "bangers and Colcannon" is great, as is the Shepherd's Pie.Ā  Another place that isn't Irish, but English, is the King's Head Pub, which does a great Shepherd's pie and Scotch Egg.Ā  Any place in Portland that does not have a great selection of local craft beers doesn't stay around long (Portland has the most breweries per capita of any city in the US).Ā  The best beer selection (food is good, not great) is the Great Lost Bear, with over 80 local beers on tap.

On 8/8/2019 at 2:33 PM, Kartgv said:

Back in 2013, we visited Portland and my sister (living there at the time) took us to a great place called Ri Ra Irish Pub for lunch. Ā  Apparently it's an authentic Irish pub, dismantled in Ireland and rebuilt in Portland. Ā  I've Googled it and apparently it's still there, but never comes up in recommendations on where to eat. Ā Ā  Does anyone know anything about it currently? Ā  We're visiting again in September and their website isn't very clear on whether it's open for lunch. Ā Ā 

Ā 

If I had a dime for every Irish pub claiming their bar was "built in Ireland and rebuilt piece by piece in (INSERT NORTH AMERICAN CITY HERE)", I'd be rich.Ā  Usually blarney in the truest sense.Ā  šŸ˜„Ā 

Yes, it's still there and yes, it's open for lunch. When I go to Ri Ra's it's never for the food. šŸ˜‰ I mean... that's not the reason I'm going there. I also would suggest that you go to Bull Feeney's. You'll walk right by Ri Ra's so stop in for a beer and appetizer, then head up to Bull Feeney's for round 2 and lunch. Ā 

Ā 

FYI, you'll need transportation if you go to the Great Lost Bear.

• 9 months later...

I have lived most of my life in Portland. My vote for Irish Pub is Bull Feeney's. It is named for the famous Hollywood pioneering director, John Ford, who was from Portland. His real last name was Feeney. Bull was his high school nickname because he played football for Portland High School ( the second oldest public high school in the USA). There is a statue of John Ford ( Bull Feeney) in the Old Port area of Portland.