Cruise Critic Community
fstuff1

Cagney's Fisherman's Platter: Sad crab cake

17 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I still don't see the crab cake. Which one is it? Are those scallops on the plate?

It's bottom center with the tartar sauce on it, and embarrassingly smaller than even the scallops.  It looks like something that you'd pass around as hors d'oeuvres.

Pathetic for sure....looks like an appy to me !!! 

PS--Cagneys has been going downhill for awhile...just my opinion.  Last 3 cruises..tough  meat (except filet) and  (smaller) cold sides. 

I've ordered the crab cake appetizer many times in Cagney's and it's been great, and the correct size!   I can't believe they bothered to put that one on your plate😞

Our last experience at Cagney's (On Breakaway this past May) was a deal breaker. The food was horrid and I explained so. Was offered to come back another night not but declined, amazingly they did not charge us for uneaten food. Bad steak, cold potato, frozen veggies.

The "filet" shown in the pic is similar to what I received, it's not a filet, not sure what cut of meat it is but not filet. I pointed that out to the "assistant MD" and he just shook his head and said if I come back he would make sure it was a filet....

5 hours ago, Falckon said:

This is the prime rib I had at Cagney's on the Pearl. It was tough and tasteless. I should have had the ribeye or lamb chops, which have always been excellent.

Pearl Cruise  (81).JPG

The lamb chops are to die for. Simply amazing.

3 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I still don't see the crab cake. Which one is it? Are those scallops on the plate?

I had a hard time spotting it too. At first I was like, "why is there tartar sauce on that tiny crabcake?"

16 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

after going to cagneys  a few dozen times, I figured I'd try the fishermans platter.

SMALL crab cake.

even smaller than the shrimp. 😞

not worth the $36 cost. Avoid!

im sticking with the Ribeye! ($32)

IMG_20190808_190713568.thumb.jpg.adfa30c32af871757c3918562993a492.jpg

Ok that is just sad.

16 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

I was wondering how well the massive price increases were going to go over for people who are actually paying for their meals instead of using an SDP credit. If I used an SDP credit or paid like 12 bucks for that, I might not think it was worth the effort to complain or send it back. However if I'm paying nearly 40 bucks for something like that, I'm going to hold it to a higher standard. No matter the restaurant, be it on land or on a ship. People didn't care as much about gristly or overcooked steaks when it costs 12-15 dollars. 35-40 dollars? People will start caring about the quality of the food, and it doesn't look like the quality has risen to meet the new price points.

10 hours ago, Manbo said:

I know that many disagree with me, but I have always found Cagney's to be overrated. We have better steak houses close to home. 

I live in a small midwestern city not known for its food.  There is no item of food served by NCL that I can't find better within a mile or two of my home (escargot might be the exception--have not seen it on a menu here).  That said, I cruise for the  pleasant overall experience rather than the fine dining.  I find more than enough acceptable and satisfying food choices to keep me full.  

Send it back and order something else.  I’ve done that at Cagney’s.  They did it with no fuss and bent over backwards to make me happy!

4 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

Our last experience at Cagney's (On Breakaway this past May) was a deal breaker. The food was horrid and I explained so. Was offered to come back another night not but declined, amazingly they did not charge us for uneaten food. Bad steak, cold potato, frozen veggies.

The "filet" shown in the pic is similar to what I received, it's not a filet, not sure what cut of meat it is but not filet. I pointed that out to the "assistant MD" and he just shook his head and said if I come back he would make sure it was a filet....

Filet shown in what pic?

12 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

WOW.  I've never done Cagney's before, but was thinking of trying it on my next cruise.  I hope this isn't representative of all the meals there.  I wanted to get the prime rib, but I'm looking for more of a Fred Flintstone size cut and not smurf size

I wish we had taken a picture of the prime rib they brought my daughter in June on the Breakaway.  That sucker had to be 2#. Covered the whole plate.

Feel like the dining plan could be ruining specialty dining like the dining plan at Disney ruined most of the restaurants there. Booked at Cagney's next month on the Getaway, have always enjoyed it, hope it meets expectations. 

On 8/9/2019 at 6:41 AM, fstuff1 said:

after going to cagneys  a few dozen times, I figured I'd try the fishermans platter.

SMALL crab cake.

I think that it looks delicious but really agree that it's too small! 

On 8/9/2019 at 12:41 AM, fstuff1 said:

SMALL crab cake.

Seriously, is that a half of a piece of Sea Bass?? That is what it looks like.

20 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Filet shown in what pic?

My bad, it was not filet but prime rib... if you can call that PR. 

Still the filet was some other cut of beef (I think it was beef).

On 8/9/2019 at 4:29 PM, FLAHAM said:

I live in a small midwestern city not known for its food.  There is no item of food served by NCL that I can't find better within a mile or two of my home (escargot might be the exception--have not seen it on a menu here).  That said, I cruise for the  pleasant overall experience rather than the fine dining.  I find more than enough acceptable and satisfying food choices to keep me full.  

Pretty much how we feel. Some specialty dining rooms are better than others, but the days of gourmet dining on cruise ships ended when formal dress codes went out. of that is how it seems. I hear people get home from cruises now and talk more about the service they received, the tours they did, the entertainment they enjoyed and not about the wonderful food. 

On 8/9/2019 at 8:18 PM, LoraJ said:

Feel like the dining plan could be ruining specialty dining like the dining plan at Disney ruined most of the restaurants there. Booked at Cagney's next month on the Getaway, have always enjoyed it, hope it meets expectations. 

Think you hit on something there. Most people do use some form of dining package and yes, it has upped the cost for those who do not and deminished  the quality it seems. 

On 8/9/2019 at 5:29 PM, FLAHAM said:

I'm from southern WV.  We have a decent steak house.  No good seafood - so we will go to Ocean Blue.  Absolutely nothing like Le Bistro so we will go there.  I'd like to go to Moderno because absolutely nothing like that around, but I've read so many people saying the only thing they really enjoyed was the salad bar and I don't want to spend that much (we have had to pay for 3rd person in room) for a meal where best part is salad (or use one of meal plan perk meals).  Might go to Ocean Blue twice, but will keep away from Fisherman's Platter if we are hungry.  

That looks like one of the TWO mini-crab cakes you get on the suite breakfast menu. To serve them at all for a dinner entre is pathetic, but to only serve one of them is outright ridiculous. 

Does FDR hate seafood or something? It's like they had a big NCL board meeting and someone got up to somberly address the big wigs: "Ladies and gentlemen, we have identified the element that poses the greatest threat to this company's profitability. That threat? Shellfish." 

The offering is similarly paltry in the "Old Fisherman's Basket" in O'Sheehan's, that is if you weren't already skeptical about ordering something that sounds like World War II slang for a venereal disease. 

1 hour ago, PortFees45 said:

Does FDR hate seafood or something? It's like they had a big NCL board meeting and someone got up to somberly address the big wigs: "Ladies and gentlemen, we have identified the element that poses the greatest threat to this company's profitability. That threat? Shellfish."

seafood cost more money then regular poultry,beef and other kinds of meats. Since FDR has taken over, his main goal is always about cost cutting and removing things to save money while at the same time increasing pricing for the specially dinning and other onboard costs that we have to pay for it. Norwegian is starting to become another greedy corporation that is more focus on their bottom line and increasing profits anyway they can 

Cagney used to be wonderful, and had a much smaller up charge ... ten years or more ago. 

And they used used to serve prime grade beef. 

No longer. A steakhouse that doesn’t serve prime = pnderosa chain.