Cruise Critic Community
fstuff1

New menu (8/2019) for free Chinese restuarant: DOWNGRADE!

Posted (edited)

Jewel class ships.

used to be lemon pepper shrimp.

now it's lemon chicken.

no more shrimp!

and I tried the lemon chicken.

MEH!

IMG_20190806_035722302[1].jpg

Edited by fstuff1

I am not surprised. I have been waiting for the Chinese restaurant to change from "free" to part of the specialty category. It is too bad as we have always enjoyed one night there. I will add though, I don't ever think the shrimp choices were all that good anyway. I guess in order continue not charging they felt they needed or could change the menu. 

Doesn't look too much different otherwise.  We need MKing to point out any differences.

Besides, they need those shrimp in Cagneys for the fisherman's platter, for your convenience, of course.

When we started with NCL back in 2010 and when they had the old dining pricing in effect, I vaguely remember that the Chinese was also one of the specialties.  That was on the Dawn but then on another, Gem 🤔 (not 100% sure) it became complimentary. 

I liked the lemon pepper shrimp we had on the Pearl in May. 

yes, it's still a nice looking menu.  I wish the calamari was on the menu on the breakaway (Shanghai's Noodle Bar)

I've always liked the appetizers more than the entrees on this menu.  Been known to order a bunch of apps & no entree, which always confuses the server, but makes for a yummy meal for me.  Oh, and those red bean triangles for dessert :-) 

TGIF and we are heading out of town shortly for a nice long weekend ... I see that @dexddd is goofing off, slow day at the office again.  

OK, I had to pull up our most recent Bamboo/Asian dining menu, taken on the Dawn in early May ... just to see.  Yes, it was still Lemon Pepper Shrimp then, at no charge (already puzzled & surprised, cause "Shrimp" Cantonese carried an upcharge - look at the bottom - of $24.99, plus 20% for your convenience, of course)   Steamed Ginger Sea Bass was a relative bargain at $15.99 - if they serve the fish whole, and, not a slice of fillet or chunk only ... LOL

I give "credit" to NCL for creative menuing, but hell, no, we would not pay a dime extra for those "jumbo prawns" Cantonese.  Just look for Seafood Buffet night upstairs (if they still do them) it's free and AYCE, really.  

1635009296_Collage2019-05-1617_53_17.thu

For a history look back, the way it was then - I found & uploaded some, really, really old NCL Specialty Dining menu from our 2005 Dawn sailings - under Members Album - scroll down pass the old "Norwegian Crown" pictures - and you will see them.  Zoomable images - now, wasn't it nice then, very good selections compared to nowadays and, we took advantage of Early Bird 2 for 1 Specials.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/gallery/album/127-ncl-2018-2019-pix-images-mdrspecialty-telcomms-apps-wifi-etc/

Did you even think of the possibility that the change might be a result of feedback requesting chicken?  Just because one person (or more) prefer shrimp over chicken does not mean everyone does.

We’ve never thought the Orchard Garden was worth the money as a free restaurant. 🤣

Maybe some apps, certainly not the entrees we’ve tried. 

Food is subjective; YMMV. 

Just now, Turtles06 said:

We’ve never thought the Orchard Garden was worth the money as a free restaurant. 🤣

Maybe some apps, certainly not the entrees we’ve tried. 

Food is subjective; YMMV. 

We've always thought the place wasn't any good.  No one was willing to pay for...that's why it was converted to a "free" restaurant. But even free is too high a price for this place. 

2 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Did you even think of the possibility that the change might be a result of feedback requesting chicken?  Just because one person (or more) prefer shrimp over chicken does not mean everyone does.

That wouldn't explain why they removed shrimp literally everywhere it appeared on the menu.  It's missing from the Peking Style Shrimp and Chicken and Spicy Seafood Udon Noodles as well.

Shrimp was literally the only reason I would eat at the Asian-style restaurant.  Without shrimp, I don't plan to eat there at all.

I agree. The world has come to an end. There is absolutely nothing to eat on the ship. Time to get off. 

I agree. The world has come to an end. There is absolutely nothing to eat on the ship. Time to get off. 

It's happening in the MDR too.  They've changed Coconut Shrimp appetizer to Coconut Chicken🙄

5 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Yes, I'm sure NCL was flooded with feedback/requests from passengers requesting they substitute Shrimp with Chicken..

Maybe, the next move will be Orange Peel Pork Belly ... instead of beef, by popular demand, for your convenience.  

BTW, here's my tip for NCL ... try renaming your Shrimp with Lobster Sauce (Cantonese style ... actually minced pork is used) to Lobster Cantonese, most Laowei recognize that as it's been popularized for the Americas.  Or Shrimp with Black Bean Sauce.  Just don't insult some of us by calling those "jumbo" shrimps because they are not - it is perfectly acceptable to use smaller #35/40 or even #45 shrimps, frozen & "headless".   Otherwise, even the chefs at P.F. Chang would be LOL at these "classic" Americanized dishes, found in Chinatowns a hundred years ago.  

On 8/9/2019 at 1:31 PM, Birdie And Sue said:

good point. I have to say, I don't see a lot of difference in the menu and the shrimp they served wasn't going to win any awards for quality anyway. Obviously regardless of why they removed the shrimp there are so many choices I don't think one change is going to end the popularity of any dining room. 

Is there a way to ignore or block a user who continually comments and adds no real value to the thread?

Currently on the Spirit and the Lemon Pepper Shrinp has also gone from the Asian.

However, yesterday they had some items in the buffet, many of which are on the Shogun menu and they had the Shrimp there.

1 hour ago, Seany527 said:

Is there a way to ignore or block a user who continually comments and adds no real value to the thread?

Yes you can take a quarter of a second and scroll past the comment.