Cruise Critic Community
RocketMan275

Football Television

Does HAL show televised football games in any of the bars?

Specifically, we're on Nieuw Amsterdam and on our first night Oklahoma v. UCLA will be on television starting at 1800 West Coast.  Our cruise is out of Vancouver.

And, no, we don't mind missing a night in the MDR?

Fall back is room service.

If it's on ESPN you'll be able to watch in your room, otherwise I would say it's probably not available on board.

12 minutes ago, catl331 said:

If it's on ESPN you'll be able to watch in your room, otherwise I would say it's probably not available on board.

Thanks, it's on ABC.  

College games are not that likely, unless it happens to be shown on one of the channels the ship gets. NFL will most likely be shown, somewhere.

Check the Gallery Bar.  When we were on the Eurodam in September, they had NFL games on. 

Do they show English football on the ships

Posted (edited)

We're touring around canada and cruising in Alaska next May - and didn’t realise that during our cruise it would be the last game of the season, so if English football was shown on board, I know someone who would be very happy..... 

Edited by meeann

That's nice to know, as our first HAL cruise (next fall) will be during the NFL regular season! 😎

I figured NFL would be shown.  I was interested in college football, ie, Oklahoma v. UCLA.  

I figured that if NFL is shown on Sundays, college games would probably be on Saturdays.  Unfortunately we embarked on a Saturday afternoon and disembarked the following Saturday morning, so I can't confirm that.

I think you should be good as long as you stay near the coasts. Gyosychronous satellites.  Mid ocean tends to have limited live TV. 

The live TV channel options in the room are very limited.  On NA in February, they were: Fox News, MSNBC, BBC World News, Travel Channel, ESPN, ESPN2, and something called Prime One

So the only option would be to check at the Gallery Bar and see if they can tune it in.  Isn't the game on Fox and not ABC?  Regardless, ESPN will have the scores and highlights later in the evening if you miss it.

30 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I think you should be good as long as you stay near the coasts. Gyosychronous satellites.  Mid ocean tends to have limited live TV. 

We were in the middle of the South Pacific, near Tahiti in March.  We had perfect TV reception of the regular set of channels that HAL provides.  Proximity to any US coastline will not have any effect, because the ships do not receive any terrestrial TV channels.  Only the package of satellite-delivered channels.   As you get much further north, near Alaska or close to the tip of South America, the satellite signals get weaker.  But in those cases, all channels start pixelating and have occasional dropout.   HAL's complement of TV channels are all received on a pair of digital transponders that include MSNBC, Fox News, BBC World service, 2 ESPN channels and a special channel for special events.  There are no regular US network TV channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, of FOX.   Just the news channels and ESPN.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

We were in the middle of the South Pacific, near Tahiti in March.  We had perfect TV reception of the regular set of channels that HAL provides.  Proximity to any US coastline will not have any effect, because the ships do not receive any terrestrial TV channels.  Only the package of satellite-delivered channels.   As you get much further north, near Alaska or close to the tip of South America, the satellite signals get weaker.  But in those cases, all channels start pixelating and have occasional dropout.   HAL's complement of TV channels are all received on a pair of digital transponders that include MSNBC, Fox News, BBC World service, 2 ESPN channels and a special channel for special events.  There are no regular US network TV channels like CBS, NBC, ABC, of FOX.   Just the news channels and ESPN.

Our last voyage on the Prinsendam in June, we started having signal problems on the North Cape and never really got it back to normal, even near Amsterdam,  but maybe they just didn't want to invest in expensive repairs on a ship they had just sold. 

Edited by JeffElizabeth

3 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Our last voyage on the Prinsendam in June, we started having signal problems on the North Cape and never really got it back to normal, even near Amsterdam,  but maybe they just didn't want to invest in expensive repairs on a ship they had just sold. 

Very possible.  The satellite antennas inside those white, ball shaped radomes on the top deck have motor-driven gimbals to keep the satellite antennas constantly aimed at a specific satellite in space.  They are supposed to track the satellite, even when the ship is pitching and rolling in heavy seas.   I have seen them in action with the radome cover removed.  Pretty amazing that they can keep a lock on a satellite in space with only a half a degree of error.   But if the tracking system was not working as it should, it would be an expensive repair job.  Possibly some bean counters in Seattle objected to the expense of a repair. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2019 at 3:52 PM, jay888 said:

Do they show English football on the ships

Premier League ...   no.      Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE

High interest games in both college football and basketball, such as Bowl Games or Final Four, are sometimes shown in the main showroom.  Regional interest games probably wouldn't be shown even on sports networks.  DH used to leave me to watch some college sports.  Is this feature available on every ship/cruise?  I have no idea. 

As for TV in staterooms, we had problems every day during our Med cruise with Fox News going out at 9 a.m.  By the time we returned to the cabin in the late afternoon, it was back.