Cruise Critic Community
fyree39

A question about travel agents

I am a TA and the answer to your question depends on many factors. Since you have been working with your TA in this manner for years, she might figure this is what works with you. I can't comment though on her reason for late replies.

I know I prefer email (paper trail) for most interactions. So much can be misunderstood or lost over the phone. Office visits are also great but most TA's will know their clients and their client's preferences. Do they like to come, sit, have a coffee, plan their trips and chat and catch up like family or are they all about business and just want to get in and get out? 

12 hours ago, RobinCruiser said:

I am a TA and the answer to your question depends on many factors. Since you have been working with your TA in this manner for years, she might figure this is what works with you. I can't comment though on her reason for late replies.

I know I prefer email (paper trail) for most interactions. So much can be misunderstood or lost over the phone. Office visits are also great but most TA's will know their clients and their client's preferences. Do they like to come, sit, have a coffee, plan their trips and chat and catch up like family or are they all about business and just want to get in and get out? 

I did a double take on your statement.  When we first got a PVP, he said the exact opposite.  Too easy to misunderstand an e-mail.  He explained that on the phone, he can ask all of the questions at once.  If you give him partial information in an e-mail, then he has to shoot you an e-mail, then wait for a return answer.

Almost all of my business communications with my TA are through e-mail.  She's extremely quick to respond takes care of what needs to be taken care of.  I always include in all my e-mails the phrase: "when you have time" and I like to think that's appreciated.  If it's urgent, I can text.  I know I can always call if need-be, but I have yet to be in a situation where that's necessary.  I tend to book the cruise myself right away if I spot a good deal and then transfer it to her as soon as I can.

I'd like to think I have a great relationship with my TA.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:41 PM, pacruise804 said:

@Shaded Lady, I know we can't name names but does yours refer to you as "hun" and say how "amazing" or "unbelievable" your cruise will be? Maybe we have the same one 😉 

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:41 PM, pacruise804 said:

The PVP I've used (once in a while) is pretty strange.  When she calls me, she just says "hi" - I would expect a professional to say "Hi, this is XX with Carnival ...".  She never identifies herself.  That just drives me crazy!!!

I have pretty much just started booking online & skipping right past her.

I tend to do all the research for the cruise and the date that I want.  I then call my PVP at Carnival and we discuss it in further detail.  My wife isn't interested in the details she just wants to sail.  So at least I have someone to discuss the itty bitty stuff with.