Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
AllureOfVacation

New to HAL - but excited! Westerdam: Signature or Neptune Suite?

Posted (edited)

We tried some of the major cruise lines in the past years. Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. We like them all, some things were better on one cruise line then on the other, but nothing major that would us stop from booking one of them again. But, we liked Princess the most, and I have the feeling that HAL is like a good relative of Princess quality-wise.

Now we found a very interesting cruise on the Westerdam. And we are hesitating to book because we can not decide between a guarantee Signature Suite or a guarantee Neptune Suite. Both guarantee, because the price gap between guarantee and pick-your-own is so high that in this case a guarantee-cabin is the first time we are looking into this because it is really tempting.

We understand that it is roulette, and I would be a little annoyed if we would be assigned to a suite directly next to an elevator - I assume this is a noise factor. If not, please let me know. But I am ready to risk it.

But now back to the main problem. Signature Suite or Neptune Suite? It is around 650$ difference per person (2) for 14 days to book a Neptune Suite. Is more room and the perks which HAL offers really worth it? We do not need things like a personal concierge or even a butler like they provide on some cruise lines for suites, but I feel the suite perks on HAL are a little...weak. 

I would be very happy if some of you could let me know your thoughts and input about Signature Suites, Neptune Suites, the major differences rather than size and some words about the Suite perks.

We need to make a decision to book our first HAL experience 🙂

Thank you all

Greetings from Germany

Edited by AllureOfVacation

Only you can decide if it's worth it. I think $650 pp for two weeks is a small price jump for a considerable cabin jump.

I think Neptunes are about half again the size of Signatures. I've never had an issue with noise being near an elevator. None of the Neptunes or Signatures is over a loud venue, like the showroom. 

No butler, but there is a concierge in the Neptune Lounge. No cocktail hour or free drinks as on other lines, but very nice nibbles throughout the day and an excellent coffee machine. The concierges are very helpful. If you want to book specialty dining or a tour, they can take care of it for you. Free laundry is a nice perk that lets you cut down on packing. 

You would have the very nice perk of breakfast in the Pinnacle restaurant, which is a quiet and gracious start to the day. You might have an "enhanced" dinner menu with an extra main course option. (There are changes in the works that might add this for Neptune Suites)

If it's a port-intensive cruise with many tender ports, the priority tendering would be nice to have. 

3rdGenCunarder has recapped it well.  

signature suites on the vista ships are very nice and IMO a decent buy for what you get.

But, your difference in pricing is not large (amazing) to go to a Neptune.  There is more space, bigger balcony, etc.

The Neptune Lounge can be nice as there you will find a nice coffee machine and better teas (IMO) like in the Pinnacle Grill.  The concierges are there to help whether you have an issue with your on board account, would like to book/ask about shore excursions, have dinner served in your room, book specialty restaurants, etc.  It’s a pretty long list.

No free drinks, but I do like the fresh squeezed oj in the morning.  It’s also in the Pinnacle Grill breakfast.  There are nice munchies all day and night long - morning is geared to continental breakfast type of offerings (including smoked salmon), lunch time has nice little sliders, etc and late afternoon has hors d’hoeuvres type of offering and munchies.

It all depends on what you prefer but $650 price difference seems pretty good to me.

Warning on the signature suites and guarantee status.  A lot of them are under the Lido so depending on location, you may be bothered by the sound of chairs being set up and moved in the wee hours of the morning. 

I’ve had lots of cabins near elevators and it’s never been an issue at all.  The worst is that you might hear someone talking.  On the Vista ships, there are some glass elevators and if your cabin is situated in viewing shot the people going up and down on the elevators can have a partial view of your verandah.

When we booked our upcoming cruise the only Signature Suite options available at the time of booking were guarantee status.  I told our PCC that I would not be happy a cabin right below the Lido deck and he told me that if that was a factor then I shouldn't book it.  So you might keep what @kazu mentioned above in mind when making your decision.  We ended up biting the bullet on going with a Neptune suite for our upcoming cruise.

The Signature Suite on the Westerdam last year was lovely and we would do Signature Suite again if we could have picked our cabin.

For $650 total difference for 14 nights to get a Neptune, I would jump on this offer.  It is a very good value.  I've been in Signature Suites several times and loved them.  The Neptune suite offers more perks and are all in great locations, IMHO.  

We were just on the Westerdam in a signature suite for 14 days and enjoyed it.   But we once had a wrap around aft Neptune suite and it was to die for.  We loved the pinnacle grill for breakfast and the priority tendering is worth it, not to mention the free laundry.  

If you can I would jump at the chance. 

Thank you for all your input so far!

This should makes it a lot easier to compare and to decide soon.

Having so much extra space in the Neptune suite is an interesting thought.

One of the available Neptune suites with a balcony that can be seen from the glass elevator is almost double the price of a guarantee Neptune suite that could be the same cabin if assigned by HAL. But also still so many aft suites available. I browsed some videos of these aft suites...wow, very nice!

My mind says a Signature suite will be fine...

First, $650 difference in price between a Signature and Neptune seems low to me - I would take the Neptune.

Second, IMO, the Signature suites offer one of the best "values" on HAL.  Not that much smaller than the Neptunes.  We normally book a Signature and then hope for a low cost upsell to a Neptune (happens fairly often).

We liked NS 5191 on the Zuiderdam , sister ship of the Westerdam for Iceland , Norway and Scotland .

DSC09005%202_zpswo4zthis.jpg

The sunsets were included

2 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We liked NS 5191 on the Zuiderdam , sister ship of the Westerdam for Iceland , Norway and Scotland .

DSC09005%202_zpswo4zthis.jpg

We have that cabin booked for a Panama cruise next december.  Love those deck fives on the vista class.

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

We have that cabin booked for a Panama cruise next december.  Love those deck fives on the vista class.

We had that cabin 2 years for a canal cruise. It was fantastic! Love those corner afts on the Vistas!

54 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

We had that cabin 2 years for a canal cruise. It was fantastic! Love those corner afts on the Vistas!

The very best cabins at sea.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Us too - we had 5190 on the Zuiderdam for our partial Canal and LOVED it!  Great way to watch the lock operations and the land activities..  

Edited by DaveOKC

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We also had cabin 7157 which was partially covered

DSC06925%202_zpselqbykes.jpg

I know people rave about the huge deck 5 aft wraps, but I felt a bit closed in with the complete overhang. It was nice to be on a law deck for the canal, but deck 7 is my favorite for anything else because no stairs to get to Neptune Lounge, just a long walk. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

29 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I know people rave about the huge deck 5 aft wraps, but I felt a bit closed in with the complete overhang. It was nice to be on a law deck for the canal, but deck 7 is my favorite for anything else because no stairs to get to Neptune Lounge, just a long walk. 

We booked fully covered in Antarctica (Zaandam) and in Iceland /Norway as we were concerned with inclement weather but access to the Lounge is better on the 7th . We forgot once or twice and went to deck 7 instead of deck 5 .😕