Cruise Critic Community
poongie40

Cabin choice Ruby Princess

We just booked our first cruise with Princess  on Ruby to Alaska(have cruised before).  We needed an interior room price but really want the best room to be able to see all the outside scenery without having to stand in the cold for long.   We booked R740 back by the aft pool per someone's recommendation that it would be easy to get out quickly to get to a deck to see out.  But now as I look it will be under the Cafe Caribe.  Did we make a mistake?  Will that and back pool be noisy?  When do they serve food?  breakfast or just late pizza?  We usually sleep from midnight to 8 am.  

Cafe Caribe serves breakfast so there may be some noise early morning. A bigger issue reported for those cabins near the Terrace pool doors is the doors banging shut and wind. We'll have an inside near your cabin in November on the Crown, a sister ship to the Ruby. Personally, I like insides on Plaza deck. There you would be close to the Promenade deck. For Alaska, I wouldn't recommend a cabin in the back for views. 

Posted (edited)

When we book an inside room we love Plaza desk because of the proximity to the International Cafe. Great bonus that it’s also more economical.

Have not stayed in your location. 

Edited by jennybenny

I've stayed in the Aft Riviera rooms 3 times on the Ruby/Emerald, and there was no noise at all from Cafe Caribe. It is very close to the aft pool and deck, and easy to pop into Cafe Caribe for tea/coffee and a snack to eat out on the deck. I love this location!

We were just on the Ruby (July 27th Cruise) and we had the cabin right next door to yours (R738).  We really enjoy Riviera Aft cabins.  Did not notice any noise from Caribe Cafe and the easy access to the Terrace Pool and Outrigger Bar is great.  Cafe Caribe serves breakfast I believe from 6:30am to 11:30am.  Even when the pool area was crowded, we could not hear it in our cabin.  If Joel is still the room steward, you will enjoy him.  

Agree with dsquared and hydrodriver. That area is our preferred location.

No noise with the exception of an occasional slammed exit door. Some people don't "assist" the door to close slowly.

You might want to consider one of the four cabins all the way forward on Lido. These are sold as obstructed, since they look out on a railing, but in my opinion they're really good. These cabins are larger, and they have the merit of easy access to the small deck over the bridge. Most people never find it, and it was very uncrowded on Glacier Bay day. The view was good from the cabin we had, L104.

Of course, these are up high in the ship and forward, so if motion bothers you then they might not be your cup of tea.

I would stick to your cabin. Cafe caribe isn’t used much, more on sea days. You should be ok with the noice situation, but be out on open Devi very quickly 

Thank you so much everyone!  I feel so much better.  We did price the forward cabins on Lido ( again saw the hint here) but they were quite a bit extra $$ so we decided aft one might work ok.   Plaza is usually the type of deck we book on and we liked being up a bit higher last cruise.   If anyone has other Alaska/Ruby hints/tips we would love to hear them!    Trying to look at excursions already..... So excited for Alaska!   but very different from our usual Caribbean cruises.

8 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

You might want to consider one of the four cabins all the way forward on Lido. These are sold as obstructed, since they look out on a railing, but in my opinion they're really good. These cabins are larger, and they have the merit of easy access to the small deck over the bridge. Most people never find it, and it was very uncrowded on Glacier Bay day. The view was good from the cabin we had, L104.

Of course, these are up high in the ship and forward, so if motion bothers you then they might not be your cup of tea.

Is there just a door to go through? Embarrassed that I missed this and Skywalkers in May.  Going again in September. Will have to find it!

On 8/9/2019 at 7:48 PM, poongie40 said:

We booked R740 back by the aft pool per someone's recommendation that it would be easy to get out quickly to get to a deck to see out.  

You didn't ask but here are a couple videos of insides in your "block" of rooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=yvqKt9J-MhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=wY0bqyDyIa8

Posted (edited)

We had Riviera 740 on our last Ruby cruise, excellent location! Super quiet.   If I remember correctly the area above that room is carpeted so no problems with noise.  I took these photos a long time ago on The Star Princess and they will show you what it’s like back there...  LOVE the location!

E583A6A0-6EA0-40D4-82CC-16F4B09F721B.png

DEB00C88-E2A8-4890-BE61-B67C47822C35.png

36D7A66F-B875-45FF-AE35-7FF224B0292E.png

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

11 hours ago, CynCyn said:

Is there just a door to go through? Embarrassed that I missed this and Skywalkers in May.  Going again in September. Will have to find it!

Yes, there's a just a door. Go all the way forward on Lido on either side of the ship. Easy to find if you know it's there. This deckplan screenshot shows the doors (circled) and the four cabins, L101 to L104. 

ruby.JPG

The cafe caribe and HC are carpeted except for the food service areas and walkways.  Years ago on the Grand we had a cabin right under the HC.  It was our first cruise on Princess although we had been on a few cruises before then.  We went to the Future Cruise gal to book the ship again for the next year.  When we told her we did not want to be under the HC, she smiled and agreed with us.  The problem was not during the day but late at night.  They move the tables/chairs around as they clean the floor after midnight and we could hear them dragging the tables/chairs around.  The next cruise is when we found out about the Caribe deck balcony and have never looked back. 

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

Yes, there's a just a door. Go all the way forward on Lido on either side of the ship. Easy to find if you know it's there. This deckplan screenshot shows the doors (circled) and the four cabins, L101 to L104. 

ruby.JPG

Thank you!

23 hours ago, hydrodriver831 said:

We were just on the Ruby (July 27th Cruise) and we had the cabin right next door to yours (R738).  We really enjoy Riviera Aft cabins.  Did not notice any noise from Caribe Cafe and the easy access to the Terrace Pool and Outrigger Bar is great.  Cafe Caribe serves breakfast I believe from 6:30am to 11:30am.  Even when the pool area was crowded, we could not hear it in our cabin.  If Joel is still the room steward, you will enjoy him.  

Also the easy access to the buffet is great for bringing snacks to your room. I really think you will like it back there.   I’ve booked that same area at least four different times.

I have had R740 a couple of times.  I love the area.  When I return to my cabin, I prefer walking past the open buffet area than walking down the narrow hallway with all the cabin doors then down the stairs by the Terrace Pool, and through the door to my cabin.

Buffet close sounds really good for quick breakfast except I'm guessing they don't do the made to order omelets in back?  those are in middle buffet line?   Thanks everyone!!!  Photo helps too!   Will we have bunks on walls in R740?  There are just 2 of us.  

R740 is not a quad -- no bunks!

THere is a discussion of the omelet bars going on right now, scan down a couple pages.

Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2019 at 3:59 PM, poongie40 said:

Buffet close sounds really good for quick breakfast except I'm guessing they don't do the made to order omelets in back?  those are in middle buffet line?   Thanks everyone!!!  Photo helps too!   Will we have bunks on walls in R740?  There are just 2 of us.  

On the Ruby,  I’m not sure if they make omelettes in the back area or not but we had them made in the middle buffet line. As you walk past the carving station they take the omelette  orders right at the opening to the next station. It would be easy to pick up some breakfast and take it back to your room by either using the elevators or walking out the back door by the pool and down the stairs to the door that leads to the rooms.  Easy Peezy… We love it back there. 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser