Cruise Critic Community
cruise kitty

Vancouver precruise days

Hi all,  we'll be in Vancouver for 4 full days before our Alaska cruise in May...   hoping for some tips on what to do on my own for one day while DH does a fly fishing solo day...  I'm into hiking up hills (the bigger, the better), museums, history & beer :)  if that's any help.   I have no problem being on my own in a new city, but looking for something different and interesting...  

We'll  hit up Granville Island & market, Gastown, Stanley Park together...   probably Gastown in the evening after our solo day...   any tips would  be appreciated :)

While knowing what you like to do certainly helps, more useful would be also knowing what your husband does NOT like! Unless you would be happy to do something solo and then repeat with DH, best to focus on what he has no interest in but you do. On the hiking front, the Grouse Grind is world-famous and while short, it's intense - and gets you free entry to all the no-extra-charge stuff at the top of the mountain and a discounted ride back down on the gondola.

While Bruce as ever has an excellent grasp of geography, personally I wouldn't repost on a more-accurate board as then you end up with multiple threads to keep track of. Everyone who posts regularly on any one of this, West Coast and Canada/Pacific posts on all three so you'll get basically the same folks reading and offering advice wherever your post lives. If you do want to correct the location of your post, ask the Mods to move this over to West Coast Departures (in general the Departures boards are for pre- and post-cruise cities, while Ports of Call boards are for the places visited while actually on your cruise)

Edited by martincath

@martincath, how about if the OP reads over on those other boards? There is tons of info available over there, without the issue of keeping track (not hard to do with the notification system now present on Cruise Critic) of more than one thread.

56 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@martincath, how about if the OP reads over on those other boards? There is tons of info available over there, without the issue of keeping track (not hard to do with the notification system now present on Cruise Critic) of more than one thread.

I'm sure that they will after you suggested that yesterday, but given that OP provided some specifics I also felt it appropriate to actually answer them - there certainly isn't a ton of info about local hiking on any CC board for example, and while museums/history/beer in Vancouver do have plenty of posts (many from me) the 'doing something without my spouse' angle makes it worthy of a follow-up, IMO at least.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:09 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Perhaps look on the Canada (Pacific) or West Coast Departures board,  as Vancouver is not in Alaska.

Ha! I'm not actually as geographically challenged as it might appear, I figured that the majority of Alaska cruises depart from either Seattle or Vancouver, so I posted my question here :)

23 hours ago, martincath said:

While knowing what you like to do certainly helps, more useful would be also knowing what your husband does NOT like! Unless you would be happy to do something solo and then repeat with DH, best to focus on what he has no interest in but you do. On the hiking front, the Grouse Grind is world-famous and while short, it's intense - and gets you free entry to all the no-extra-charge stuff at the top of the mountain and a discounted ride back down on the gondola.

While Bruce as ever has an excellent grasp of geography, personally I wouldn't repost on a more-accurate board as then you end up with multiple threads to keep track of. Everyone who posts regularly on any one of this, West Coast and Canada/Pacific posts on all three so you'll get basically the same folks reading and offering advice wherever your post lives. If you do want to correct the location of your post, ask the Mods to move this over to West Coast Departures (in general the Departures boards are for pre- and post-cruise cities, while Ports of Call boards are for the places visited while actually on your cruise)

Hi, & thanks for your reply!  The Grouse Grind sounds terrific, & I'm going to put it on my short list, thank you :)

I'll also check out the more "vancouver specific" area of the boards :)

The grind is great, it can be tough, take your time and enjoy it.  Be prepared to be passed though.  The mountain record will be displayed at the top but it is usually in the 15-20 minute mark as multiple people try running it (my personal best is just under an hour, but I know someone in the sub 30s).

8 hours ago, kaell116 said:

The grind is great, it can be tough, take your time and enjoy it.  Be prepared to be passed though.  The mountain record will be displayed at the top but it is usually in the 15-20 minute mark as multiple people try running it (my personal best is just under an hour, but I know someone in the sub 30s).

Yeah, I'll be one staying to the right, lol ;)

14 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Yeah, I'll be one staying to the right, lol 😉

Get some stair machine in before you start this.  it is 4ks up and its ALL steps.

3 hours ago, kaell116 said:

Get some stair machine in before you start this.  it is 4ks up and its ALL steps.

Luckily where we live some of the nearby streets are so steep that there are stairs to connect the streets,  so I'm pretty good with going up stairs, super steep inclines...  actually find going back downhill more difficult, so it sounds like this will suit me 🙂

You could visit Stanley Park by yourself.  The waterfront walks and gardens are lovely. There is even an aquarium on premise (although we opted to skip that attraction as it was rather pricey, as I recall).

5 hours ago, lynncarol said:

You could visit Stanley Park by yourself.  The waterfront walks and gardens are lovely. There is even an aquarium on premise (although we opted to skip that attraction as it was rather pricey, as I recall).

This is our plan in April. We are going up Saturday for a cruise leaving Monday. I have been once before. Our flight gets in around noon so we are just going to go thru Gastown Saturday afternoon and visit Stanley Park on Sunday. If I remember right, there is a shuttle that drives around the whole park that you pay once and can hop on/off at will. I didn’t get to go to the aquarium because it was an entire family trip, so this time it’s on my list. 

Oh, I now see in your original post you did mention a visit to Sydney Park.  Alternatively, I would suggest lunch at 'Seasons in the Park' restaurant in Queen Elizabeth Park. As the highest point in the city of Vancouver, it offers great views and overlooks quarry gardens (sort of a miniature of the quarry in Buchart Gardens, Victoria) Plus the food was delicious and our waiter wonderful. Although we didn't have reservations, i think it would be wise to make them.