My embarkation bag to carry on the ship must include...

SempreMare

First time HAL cruiser on an Alaska cruise, and first cruise in eons...

Mandatory to have

1) Passport

2) Photocopies of passport

3) Boarding Pass printed from the HAL website

4) Luggage tags from my suitcase on the luggage 

5) Enough thyroid med / synthroid for the trip

6) Kiwi allergy printout to hand to server at MDR lunch

7) Credit card I used to make the reservation 

Will have 

• Cleaning bleach wipes 
  • A bunch of thin, easy-on,  food prep gloves to use when cleaning so that the bleach wipes don't char my skin

Might also have in another carry on

• Change of clothes
  • Jacket
  • Water
  • 1 bottle wine
  • Non-alcoholic beer 
  • Coke Zero

In suitcase in tamper evident envelope 

Passport card (I carry it in case I lose my passport, in hopes that it would help me with ID verification needed for passport replacement.  I don't know if it would actually help in this situation.)

Backup credit card

Emergency cash

More Passport photocopies

Anything else I should carry on, especially for the  Mandatory to have list? 

Here's what I ended out with re: the Allergy card.  

image.png.71d5f6fa73c9f7a1844ea995cb3a332f.png

If you'd like a copy of the PowerPoint, email me at:

travelinsurancecompared@gmail.com

, the email I created when I thought I'd have to make a speadsheet to post to compare options for Norway next year.  Instead I just called Steve at the Trip Insurance Store and he answered all my questions in 5 min.

I usually bring one change of clothes, one pj, and one swimsuit  for each family member in the carry on suitcase just in case the checked luggage is delayed so that we can be sure we’re comfortable the first 24 hours. I hope you have a wonderful time in Alaska. We sailed to Alaska on the NA a few summers ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. 

• Like 2

Using a 'tamper-evident' envelope for a spare credit card and cash seems a false sense of security.  Wouldn't prevent that envelope from just being removed from your suitcase altogether and disappearing so someone could tamper with it at home.

I would never, ever put something like that in luggage that is being separated from me for any period of time.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

If you are talking about a regular suitcase that you check in at the pier, I would never put credit cards, money, etc, in it.

I keep camera equipment in my carry-on.

Krazy Kruizer is correct. Your temper proof envelope belongs in the carry-on. In your cabin put it in the safe.

• Like 1

Good point... 

This is going to be my heaviest carry on ever..

If you are talking about a regular suitcase that you check in at the pier, I would never put credit cards, money, etc, in it.

I always do that without thinking twice.  I don't want all my eggs in 1 basket - all not with me.

I do this eyes wide open knowing that I am ready to lose $200 in local currency and 1 credit card that I never use for in-person transactions.   That credit card is billed for 1 recurring subscription, so I know if the monthly amount auto-payed is different,  something is wrong.  No problems ever with the cash or CC.  I think the obvious tamper-evident part helps.

I really appreciated that cash once in 15 years when my on-person cash was lifted.  None has ever been stolen.   I've never needed that backup credit card.

Edited by SempreMare

Definitely a change of clothes and any medication or other important items..   I was just on an NCL cruise in which a pile  of passengers' suitcases went in the water as they were being loaded on board!  Ship washed and ironed all their clothing, but not everything was salvageable.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Good point... 

I always do that without thinking twice.  I don't want all my eggs in 1 basket - all not with me.

I do this eyes wide open knowing that I am ready to lose $200 in local currency and 1 credit card that I never use for in-person transactions.   That credit card is billed for 1 recurring subscription, so I know if the monthly amount auto-payed is different,  something is wrong.  No problems ever with the cash or CC.  I think the obvious tamper-evident part helps.

I really appreciated that cash once in 15 years when my on-person cash was lifted.  None has ever been stolen.   I've never needed that backup credit card.

I've used an envelope for extra cash too.  I seal it and write a name on the front.  Of coure someone could take it, but I think anyone sneaking through the bag is going to take cash if it's in plain view whereas they might not be as interested in an envelope with unknown contents.

I actually do something similar with wallets too.  I have one wallet in my back pocket with cash (which wouldn't kill me to lose) and a few store rewards cards, etc. that look like credit cards.  I carry a second small wallet in my front pocket with my drivers license and credit cards.  Items that would hurt me a lot more to lose especially while traveling.

Keeping in mind that most of my cruises are not Caribbean, and I am usually flying to destination:

Large crossbody Kipling purse: holds all the usual purse things plus my Kindle, noise-cancelling earbuds, small camera, passport, wool footie socks for plane, and any paperwork and medication I need to have immediately to hand.

Carry-on (not large, my preferred is this one: https://www.baggallini.com/rolling-tote/RTC269-BG.html ) usually has one medium packing cube with a change of clothing plus one extra top, a pair of shoes, my 3-1-1 bag, my slim laptop plus a bag with any chargers, cords, needed. Also very important to me is all of the research I've done on the various ports or places to be visited -- maps, diagrams, public transportation how-tos, train timings and such. I print out copies and have them in my carry-on. Originals are on the computer just in case. And any jewelry of value (sentimental or $$$ -- but I usually don't take much.)

Edited by cruisemom42

Since I pack light, bare minimum even for a 14+ day cruise, I have only a carry-on and large see-through purse (TSA LOVES it) which holds my wallet, jewelry etc., those things I would never want to be separated from.  This bag also serves as a beach bag when I go to warmer climates.  It's rare that I check any bag either at the airport or at the pier. 

The advantage to this method, which may not work for everyone, is I maintain control of my "stuff."  Once I'm on the ship, I use those 30 minutes before lunch in the MDR to unpack.  By the time I go to lunch, everything is put away and I'm ready to enjoy my cruise.

29 minutes ago, przyk said:

I've used an envelope for extra cash too.  I seal it and write a name on the front.  Of course someone could take it, but I think anyone sneaking through the bag is going to take cash if it's in plain view whereas they might not be as interested in an envelope with unknown contents.

In previous suitcase, I would tape the envelope between the liner and the hard shell.

In current suitcase, there's no liner, so I tape it into the narrow zipper'd compartment along the the middle, with an un-common duct tape like:

image.png.ace6bd9c630e75ef0458f531aebdb22c.png

29 minutes ago, przyk said:

I actually do something similar with wallets too.  I have one wallet in my back pocket with cash (which wouldn't kill me to lose) and a few store rewards cards, etc. that look like credit cards.  I carry a second small wallet in my front pocket with my drivers license and credit cards.  Items that would hurt me a lot more to lose especially while traveling.

That's a good plan for guys.   i.e., the decoy in back pocket

Before I started traveling eons ago to pick-pocket prone areas in Paris, Prague, Rome, etc., I had a seamstress customize several vests to add front inside right and front inside left pockets along the seams.  She did a great job.  She used pockets taken from a pair of boys cargo pants I bought at Walmart.   They look like normal female nice-casual vests, not traveler vests, unlikely to have inside pockets for a credit card and cash on the right and phone on the left. 

1 hour ago, SempreMare said:

Please make sure your carry on will be within the weight and size restrictions of the airline, and still  hope it does not have to be gate-checked if the plane is out of overhead bin space.   Once it leaves your possession, anything can go wrong.

• Like 1

DH and I wear zippered money belts (the type with the long zipper in the back, that hold up your pants) that have copies of both our passports and some cash on ourselves at all times. (https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Security-Belt-Hidden-Approved/dp/B07M7MVBR4/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=money+belt&qid=1565445190&s=gateway&sr=8-7)

I have altered my jeans to have deep pockets with a second zippered internal pocket. The main pocket bag goes as deep down my leg as my hand can reach. The zipper inside is only deep enough to be hidden. My slender working wallet goes in the zippered pocket and loose working cash goes in the deep pocket. 

6 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Anything else I should carry on, especially for the  Mandatory to have list? 

Your jewelry. No way would I pack it in my checked luggage.

My roll-aboard carry-on has just enough room for meds, make-up, and jewelry. There's barely enough room for a change of undies and a nighty. My tote carry-on holds my CPAP, extension cords, and a variety of outlet adaptors. That's plenty to drag along.

4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

When I read this too KK that was the first thing I thought of also!! 

I agree with you

Denise😊

9 hours ago, SempreMare said:

In suitcase in tamper evident envelope 

Passport card (I carry it in case I lose my passport, in hopes that it would help me with ID verification needed for passport replacement.  I don't know if it would actually help in this situation.)

Backup credit card

Emergency cash

More Passport photocopies

You are right to bring the photocopies of your passport. They are what will help in the event you lose your passport, although I would imagine the passport card would as well. If you are going to Europe or anyplace other than Canada, you need your actual passport and not just the card. For Alaska cruises I bring only my passport card, and leave my actual passport at home, since the only foreign country we visit is Canada.  I keep my driver's license in another wallet in case I lose the passport card so I can still fly home! 🙂  I love that you bring wipes to clean - I bring Clorox wipes and I wipe down the cabin and bathroom as soon as we arrive - thought I was the only one! 🙂  Gloves are great idea.

Edited by Moriah

9 minutes ago, esimon said:

holy crap -  I got tired reading that - LOL  I'm surprised you travel.  

Really? 

@esimon,

If you were going on an Alaskan cruise, which of the following would you NOT carry on or have in our suitcase? 

Mandatory to have

1) Passport

2) Photocopies of passport

3) Boarding Pass printed from the HAL website

4) Luggage tags from my suitcase on the luggage 

5) Meds

6) Allergy printout if needed

7) Credit card I used to make the reservation 

Will have 

• Cleaning bleach wipes 
  • i need this < A bunch of thin, easy-on,  food prep gloves  (my skin doesn't like > 5 min in bleach > 

Might also have in another carry on

• Change of clothes
  • Jacket
  • Maybe Drinks bought at port

18 minutes ago, esimon said:

holy crap -  I got tired reading that - LOL  I'm surprised you travel.  Have fun

LOL, I was thinking the same.

Our carryon’s are pretty simple.  His has his camera equipment and sundry.

My pacsafe purse has our passports, cash, credit cards, boarding pass & hotel confirmation, IPad, and charger basically along with gum & Jet Lag if we are travelling across the ocean.

Carry on has any prescription meds we need, passport copies, my camera, 2nd IPad (sometimes), book for the plane, itinerary book (tour confirmations, etc.), jewelry, watches and packing list of what is in the suitcases “in case”.

Basically only what is extremely precious or needed on the plane and shouldn’t be in our suitcase.  If a suitcase goes missing - we have travel insurance to cover purchases while the airlines hunt it down.  And since we normally arrive 3 days early, lots of time to connect 😉 

You need to divide that stuff into your "personal item" and the "carry on", since the carry on may end up having to be gate checked due to the hoards of passengers on the plane also bringing all their worldly possessions onto the plane.  Put the passport, boarding pass, credit cards, meds, electronics, jewelry into your personal item.  Put the rest in the carry on.   When you get on the plane, do not be a bin hog and put your personal item up in the overhead with you carry on - it is supposed to go under the seat in front of you (unless you are in a bulkhead, then go ahead).  

My carry on would be what I travel with, so no need to worry about another checked bag...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moriah said:

You are right to bring the photocopies of your passport. They are what will help in the event you lose your passport, 

I'm under the impression from other posts that I will need passport photocopies to embark

Right?    I vaguely recall someone borderline ridiculing a newbie who didn't know that s/he needed passport photocopies to board the ship.   And if you don't have them you have to stand in line for 15 min to make them before you boarded. 

Or is that only for certain types of cruises? 

1 hour ago, Moriah said:

I keep my driver's license in another wallet in case I lose the passport card so I can still fly home! 🙂  

Me too.    Diversify the risk.

1 hour ago, Moriah said:

I love that you bring wipes to clean - I bring Clorox wipes and I wipe down the cabin and bathroom as soon as we arrive - thought I was the only one! 🙂  Gloves are great idea.

In hotels with clorox wipes and gloves in a storage ZipLoc in my carry on, I can have the room cleaned usually before my luggage arrives.  Haven't had a cold in eons... at least 5 years.  ::KnockOnTeak::