Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
gospelle

RCCL Cannabis Policy. Where? What?

Recommended Posts

I'm embarking on a cruise soon that departs and sails within Canada for the first several ports of call. Recreational cannabis use has been legal here for about a year now. Am curious about policy regarding boarding with and consuming cannabis within jurisdictions where it is legal. 

Google searches and cruise critic searches point to the guest conduct policy but that policy only references prohibition of "illegal" drugs, which cannabis is not in Canada.

Does boarding with cannabis, and consuming it all (or otherwise disposing of it all) prior to entering the USA where the final ports of call are, be okay within the current RCCL policy?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once the ship is at sea, the laws of the Bahamas are in force.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Once the ship is at sea, the laws of the Bahamas are in force.

Where does it say that in the policy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gospelle said:

Where does it say that in the policy?

 

I don't know if it says that anywhere, but that is the reality for ships.  Once they are outside the legal limit any other country, they are under the laws of their flag country, which is the Bahamas for Royal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

RCCL can set any policy it chooses, regardless of Canadian law.  For example, irons are prohibited by Royal.

Edited by logan25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

 

I don't know if it says that anywhere, but that is the reality for ships.  Once they are outside the legal limit any other country, they are under the laws of their flag country, which is the Bahamas for Royal.

i'm pretty sure someone trying to comply with a alcohol or cannabis policy shouldn't have to rely on their knowledge of international maritime law in order to do it. there must be a policy somewhere to guide the average passenger.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, logan25 said:

RCCL can set any policy it chooses, regardless of Canadian law.  For example, irons are prohibited by Royal.

I agree, so WHAT is the policy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gospelle said:

I agree, so WHAT is the policy?

If I were you, I'd CALL Royal myself. I wouldn't want to wind up being arrested at the pier...………. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SRV FAN said:

If I were you, I'd CALL Royal myself. I wouldn't want to wind up being arrested at the pier...………. 

Who would be arresting me exactly? We embark in Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gospelle said:

Who would be arresting me exactly? We embark in Canada.

 

Just call...……….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gospelle said:

I agree, so WHAT is the policy?

 

I don't know the policy, but I know they don't allow it. Just google "royal caribbean marijuana" and you will find many recent news articles written about people being placed under arrest.

 

I would contact the corporation directly for a definitive policy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

 

I think the OP is talking actual marijuana here.

The answer from RCI will likely be the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't someone arrested on a Bermuda cruise for drugs, including pot, in their cabin? Maybe other drugs also. Police alerted by ship crew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gospelle said:

Who would be arresting me exactly? We embark in Canada.

 

I doubt they would arrest you if detected. Probably just confiscate for the duration of the trip. Same as liquor and other things not permitted in the naughty room. Their house, their rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, njkruzer said:

Wasn't someone arrested on a Bermuda cruise for drugs, including pot, in their cabin? Maybe other drugs also. Police alerted by ship crew.

 

I've seen it happen upon return to the US too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SRV FAN said:

 

Just call...……….

 

It amazes me that people seek answers on an internet forum from random strangers regarding a matter that could potentially land them in jail as opposed to contacting the company setting such policies. Anonymous people on the internet are not exactly the most trustworthy source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

 

I doubt they would arrest you if detected. Probably just confiscate for the duration of the trip. Same as liquor and other things not permitted in the naughty room. Their house, their rules.

 

I mean irons, beer and ninja throwing stars aren't illegal but you can't have them on the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CruisingNole said:

 

It amazes me that people seek answers on an internet forum from random strangers regarding a matter that could potentially land them in jail as opposed to contacting the company setting such policies. Anonymous people on the internet are not exactly the most trustworthy source.

 

I totally agree. With a subject like this I also wouldn´t rely on the Point "well if nobody on an Internet message board can provide me with the information that it´s not allowed it must be good to take".

 

Call them and if someone on the phone tells you "yes" get it in writing!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

 

I doubt they would arrest you if detected. Probably just confiscate for the duration of the trip. Same as liquor and other things not permitted in the naughty room. Their house, their rules.

But that's the whole point of this. I want to know if it's permitted or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

 

It amazes me that people seek answers on an internet forum from random strangers regarding a matter that could potentially land them in jail as opposed to contacting the company setting such policies. Anonymous people on the internet are not exactly the most trustworthy source.

jail? perhaps you're not aware, cannabis is totally legal in Canada. I would absolutely not end up in jail.  As I've stated in the original post, and again in my responses, we are boarding in Canada and the first few ports of call are in Canada. There would be zero possibility of jail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gospelle said:

But that's the whole point of this. I want to know if it's permitted or not.

 

Call them and ask! You won´t accept People telling you "no it´s not" anyway. If someone tells you "yes" on here, you´d probably be happy to accept the answer as it´s what you want to hear, but it still won´t tell you for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, gospelle said:

But that's the whole point of this. I want to know if it's permitted or not.

 

It is not permitted. The ship is not Canadian.

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...