Now Horizon Skyride Closed

sunonfire

8 hours ago, trvlwithkids said:

We are booked on the 18th.  Carnival just emailed me at 9pm tonight... 4 days before the cruise to notify us that the ride will be down for PLANNED maintenance.   This was the entire reason I booked this ship.  We were also looking at the Allure and the attractions there.  Opted to go Carnival, and regretting it.   I called Carnival looking for some kind of compensation or upgrade or something to show good will.  The supervisor would not even take the call.   The original lady told me that supervisor states there is nothing she can do.   I said nothing no extra excursion room upgrade nothing... NOPE.  I am a gold member and usually do 50-50 between Carnival and Royal Caribbean.    This is the final straw for me.   I understand things happen but this is so unacceptable to find out they knew about this weeks ago and now only notify me 4 days out.   We are leaving tomorrow from Canada for this trip.   I will do the trip and make due, because I have no recourse and can't change anything.   This is the last booking that Carnival will get from me.   Then again, after the phone call I just had... I know they don't even care. 

If it were unplanned would you be ok with it?

Maybe your cruise insurance will cover the “cancelled transportation”.

Such amazing sense of entitlement. Lawyer? Free excursions? Upgraded cabin-4 days before cruise no less.

Did the letter say “we planned this weeks ago but waited to tell you to annoy you”?

Anyone who plans a trip based on one MINOR point probably should not even consider cruising as so many things can happen to change plans.

• Like 1

I went on the SkyRide while on Vista. It was OK, but honestly it was something I did once and I'm good with it. I didn't bother with it on Horizon. It's unfortunate for anyone that was looking forward to it, but there is a lot of fun things to do and see on the ship that having the SkyRide closed shouldn't take away from the cruise. 

Personally, I find the whole idea of choosing a ship based on one specific feature kind of strange.  As others have said, the SkyRide is a 4 minute ride after a wait in line.  I'm on the Horizon in October and if its open I will try it out based on the queue, but if I don't get to ride it, oh well.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trvlwithkids said:

We are booked on the 18th.  Carnival just emailed me at 9pm tonight... 4 days before the cruise to notify us that the ride will be down for PLANNED maintenance.   This was the entire reason I booked this ship.  We were also looking at the Allure and the attractions there.  Opted to go Carnival, and regretting it.   I called Carnival looking for some kind of compensation or upgrade or something to show good will.  The supervisor would not even take the call.   The original lady told me that supervisor states there is nothing she can do.   I said nothing no extra excursion room upgrade nothing... NOPE.  I am a gold member and usually do 50-50 between Carnival and Royal Caribbean.    This is the final straw for me.   I understand things happen but this is so unacceptable to find out they knew about this weeks ago and now only notify me 4 days out.   We are leaving tomorrow from Canada for this trip.   I will do the trip and make due, because I have no recourse and can't change anything.   This is the last booking that Carnival will get from me.   Then again, after the phone call I just had... I know they don't even care. 

2 hours ago, Erna87 said:

We‘re on the same cruise, second time on the Horizon and travelled the long way from Europe. I also got this mail. We‘ll contact our lawyer to get a refund after the cruise.

I'm usually pretty sympathetic to people who have complaints about something, but this is over the top. Just when I thought the first one was overreacting, that next one came along and topped it.

I understand it's disappointing, I'd be disappointed too, but that's where my feeling about it would end. If you're traveling from so far away to take a cruise, it's probably not a good idea to book a ship based solely on a single feature/ride on said ship. There's so many more things to do, especially on what's currently the biggest class in the fleet.

I've said in the past that there's been times when Carnival has been kind of stingy on compensation when I thought it was deserving, but as disappointing as this might be to some people, it's certainly not deserving of a free excursion or cabin upgrade, let alone a refund. Maybe, just maybe, if someone called to complain about it and sounded sincerely disappointed (not angry), I'd say throw 'em a bone and give them $25 OBC, but that's being generous.

It's pretty far-fetched to think you're entitled to something big like a free excursion or cabin upgrade. But for someone to think they have grounds for legal action, including a refund, oh boy. Please come back and tell us what your lawyer says. You're going to go on the cruise, you'll probably even enjoy it, then come home and ask for a refund? That's like people who eat a whole meal in a restaurant, then say it tasted bad and demand a refund.

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that’s crazy in my book to book an entire cruise for a ride that lasts less than 5 minutes. Additionally, both Vista and Horizon have been having issues with the SkyRide for a long time now, so this shouldn’t be a surprise to you. 

Everyone books cruises for their own reasons and I am entitled to my reasons just like you are yours.  Unlike you, I really don't care what your reasons are and would not judge you or call you crazy for your choices.  It is your choice how you spend your money.  As for the rides having issues, I was not aware of that,  had I been,  I would not have booked this trip.  Carnival website is still advertising this feature and there is no mention of it being down or having problems.   I just think they should have disclosed this when the problems started and made people aware,  it may not be available when booking.   If there was a problem after booking, show even a slight credit or good will.   I guess, unlike you I do not live on cruise websites to know about all the on going issues of every ship.   Just because you were aware and are not surprised does not mean that the same holds true for everyone else.   I am a single mom who can book one vacation a year, so the choice is a group effort and the fact this ship had that ride was the deciding factor in our choice.   I should not have to justify myself but I do not like being called crazy by someone who is incredibly judgmental.    

• Like 3

I just got the same email for the Horizon on the 18th.  I didn't really care.  My son did a little bit.  But I told him I'd rather it be shut down for maintenance than have it break down with him on it.  I think anyone really upset should be given $10 in OBC.  That's probably this rides portion of the cruise ticket.  And then move on!

1 hour ago, trvlwithkids said:

Everyone books cruises for their own reasons and I am entitled to my reasons just like you are yours.  Unlike you, I really don't care what your reasons are and would not judge you or call you crazy for your choices.  It is your choice how you spend your money.  As for the rides having issues, I was not aware of that,  had I been,  I would not have booked this trip.  Carnival website is still advertising this feature and there is no mention of it being down or having problems.   I just think they should have disclosed this when the problems started and made people aware,  it may not be available when booking.   If there was a problem after booking, show even a slight credit or good will.   I guess, unlike you I do not live on cruise websites to know about all the on going issues of every ship.   Just because you were aware and are not surprised does not mean that the same holds true for everyone else.   I am a single mom who can book one vacation a year, so the choice is a group effort and the fact this ship had that ride was the deciding factor in our choice.   I should not have to justify myself but I do not like being called crazy by someone who is incredibly judgmental.    

Disclosed. How? I have never seen a disclaimer on their website when booking that there are even big issues like propulsion problems on the ship so you may want to rethink booking several months from now.

When researching your choice, you might have browsed this website for ten minutes and known about the problem. And why give a credit or good will? Have you ever gone to Disney parks and found every ride open. Not me. Try asking for a credit for that.

And no one called you crazy. They just said in their Opinion, it would be crazy to book a cruise entirely based on a minor activity. You did now explain it was not based on that but it was the deciding factor. You don’t have to justify yourself, but when you come on here only to complain, you set yourself up for replies.

Actually, the obstacle course next to the sky ride is more fun and lasts a lot longer. Hope your kids are old enough to enjoy that. At least go on it yourself as it is a blast. And I am 72 years old.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Erna87 said:

It‘s the main attraction on the ship. It doesn’t matter to you when it‘s broken!?

Wow.  You are very entitled.  It's ONE part...one small part really in all of the other things you can do onboard.  Will you eat?  Will you go see shows?  Will you sleep in a lovely clean cabin?  Will you participate in trivia?  Use the Spa or pools?  If you do ANY of these things you ARE NOT ENTITLED TO A REFUND!  Your use of the Skyride amunts to such a small percentage of your cruise fare that it is virtually inconsequential.

10 hours ago, Erna87 said:

It‘s the main attraction on the ship. It doesn’t matter to you when it‘s broken!?

I think others would say the main attraction on the ship are it's the 25 lounges and bars, 10 restaurants/food bars, 3 swimming pools, and 6 jacuzzies (4 of which cantilevered).

Now... if I have received an email 4 days before the trip that the 25 lounges and bars were closed for planned maintenance... 😲  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trvlwithkids said:

This and your first post are so over the top ridiculous. There have been times a pool is down for some sanitary reason, hot tubs go down, the T-Pool was down for a couple of days, alert the media and get a lawyer. Seriously? so you go to a hotel and the pool or hot tub is down, the exercise bike in the gym is out of order, what a free room, dinners on the house, not going to happen, things break.

• Like 1

I'll be disappointed if, as expected, the ride is down when I'm on the Horizon in October, but yeah,  I don't understand the demand or expectation of compensation if it's down.  It's something new, and looks cool, but it absolutely will not make or break my cruise.  Apparently it will for some, but not me.

On 8/15/2019 at 5:40 AM, Erna87 said:

We‘re on the same cruise, second time on the Horizon and travelled the long way from Europe. I also got this mail. We‘ll contact our lawyer to get a refund after the cruise.

If your lawyer actually takes this case, you need a better lawyer.

A user in another thread got the email and it said it'd be down while their team "completes an enhancement plan for the ride." They didn't say if they were going to be on Horizon or Vista. That's a new excuse. All the other emails that people have reported said something about maintenance. Now I'm curious as to what their "enhancement plan" is.

I am now convinced that there was something drastically wrong with the original engineering design. I am also fairly convinced that this type of attraction does not belong on a cruise ship. At a minimum it needs a reliable source of backup.

26 minutes ago, runnersuzy said:

I am now convinced that there was something drastically wrong with the original engineering design. I am also fairly convinced that this type of attraction does not belong on a cruise ship. At a minimum it needs a reliable source of backup.

That appears to be true.  

21 minutes ago, ray98 said:

LOL.....'main attraction' and 'contact my lawyer'.  I would hate to work customer service these days.

I have talked to several friends on multiple cruises recently when we were drinking at the Lobby Bar and looking at a long line at Guest Services. Every time I have said I would be fired on my first day there. I would end up saying something like “you are XXX kidding me” or “you are really upset about XXX”. I am friends with a few people who work Guest Services and never ceased to be amazed by stories they tell me about what guests complain about.   

That is toughest job on the ship in my opinion and no way I could do that job. 

• Like 3