St. George or Hamilton-half day suggestions

lucy2mb

We will spend 2 days of our cruise in Bermuda.  I know 3 things we are going to do while there but I need help deciding what we will do our first afternoon  from about 12:30 or 1:00 to 5:00 pm.   We have dinner on the ship at 6:00 and would like to be back in our room by 5:15.  I thought we would go to St. George but one thing I read said it would take an hour to get there from King's Wharf.  I saw that Hamilton would be closer.   I plan for us to take the ferry but not sure the times would work out for St. George.  We just plan to walk around where ever we go and take pictures.  Or does anyone have another suggestion for the afternoon besides the beach.   We will go to Horseshoe Bay that morning for a few hours.  Thank you for any suggestions you can give me!

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Weekend or weekday? 

It will be a Wednesday in October.  On Thursday afternoon,  we will walk around Dockyard to be closer to ship since we need to be back on by 5:30 to depart Bermuda at 6:00.

Edited by lucy2mb

I may be missing something in your plan but it seems you like you plan to go to Horseshoe the first morning and only stay the morning. If have two full days you can go to St. George’s the first day in the morning and Horseshoe Bay the second. You don’t have to stay at the Dockyard if the ship departs at 6:00. You have time the second day for hours at Horseshoe until 2 or 3 and time to walk around the Dockyard before the ship

departs.  

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I may be missing something in your plan but it seems you like you plan to go to Horseshoe the first morning and only stay the morning. If have two full days you can go to St. George’s the first day in the morning and Horseshoe Bay the second. You don’t have to stay at the Dockyard if the ship departs at 6:00. You have time the second day for hours at Horseshoe until 2 or 3 and time to walk around the Dockyard before the ship

departs.  

I should have been more clear on our plans-sorry.   We want to go to Horseshoe the first morning because I have booked a snorkeling excursion the 2nd morning and the excursion ends at 1:00 that day.  After everyone gets changed and we eat a quick lunch, we will just have 2 to 3 hours to look around the Dockyard.   

1 hour ago, lucy2mb said:

I should have been more clear on our plans-sorry.   We want to go to Horseshoe the first morning because I have booked a snorkeling excursion the 2nd morning and the excursion ends at 1:00 that day.  After everyone gets changed and we eat a quick lunch, we will just have 2 to 3 hours to look around the Dockyard.   

Ah. Now I understand. Now your day 2 makes sense. 

So getting back to the first day you really don’t have time to go St. George’s after spending the morning at Horseshoe Bay and get back at 5:15 taking ferries. So from after 1 pm you could go to Hamilton by bus or taxi from Horseshoe and take the ferry back from Hamilton at 5:00 and you would be back at the Dockyard at 5:30. Or you could visit Gibbs Lighthouse after Horseshoe. That’s just a couple of possibilities off hand. 

Edited by Charles4515

40 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Ah. Now I understand. Now your day 2 makes sense. 

So getting back to the first day you really don’t have time to go St. George’s after spending the morning at Horseshoe Bay and get back at 5:15 taking ferries. So from after 1 pm you could go to Hamilton by bus or taxi from Horseshoe and take the ferry back from Hamilton at 5:00 and you would be back at the Dockyard at 5:30. Or you could visit Gibbs Lighthouse after Horseshoe. That’s just a couple of possibilities off hand. 

If we go back to the ship to change clothes and eat lunch after Horseshoe, would we take the ferry over to Hamilton?  

9 hours ago, lucy2mb said:

If we go back to the ship to change clothes and eat lunch after Horseshoe, would we take the ferry over to Hamilton?  

You could do that but you would have less time at either Horseshoe or Hamilton if you go back to the ship. There are changing rooms and showers at Horseshoe.  There is a food concession at Horseshoe. Or you could have lunch in Hamilton. 

Personally I have never gone back to the ship for lunch in Bermuda.  We like to optimize our time on land in Bermuda. Also I am a beach lover so I spend a lot more time at Horseshoe than your plan. So I don’t usually plan another daytime activity for a day I go to Horseshoe. Besides the main beach area there are coves to the east to explore or I start at Warwick Long Bay and walk to Horseshoe. One time after my beach time I had lunch at a local restaurant on the South Road and visited Gibbs Lighthouse before returning to the ship. 

We also don’t do traditional dining so we don’t have to do dinner at 6:00. In the old days when there was no open dining option we might have dinner in the buffet so we could  stay out later and not rush back to the ship.  

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

You could do that but you would have less time at either Horseshoe or Hamilton if you go back to the ship. There are changing rooms and showers at Horseshoe.  There is a food concession at Horseshoe. Or you could have lunch in Hamilton. 

Personally I have never gone back to the ship for lunch in Bermuda.  We like to optimize our time on land in Bermuda. Also I am a beach lover so I spend a lot more time at Horseshoe than your plan. So I don’t usually plan another daytime activity for a day I go to Horseshoe. Besides the main beach area there are coves to the east to explore or I start at Warwick Long Bay and walk to Horseshoe. One time after my beach time I had lunch at a local restaurant on the South Road and visited Gibbs Lighthouse before returning to the ship. 

We also don’t do traditional dining so we don’t have to do dinner at 6:00. In the old days when there was no open dining option we might have dinner in the buffet so we could  stay out later and not rush back to the ship.  

I will tell my husband and children your suggestions.  They may decide not to go to Hamilton.   I just hope the weather is good our two days there.  Thanks for all your help!