Jump to content

SYD-MEL-OYSTER BAY-HOBART-SYD, book the port side or does it not matter?


 Share

Recommended Posts

We are looking to book a tour from Sydney to Tasmania (sydney, melbourne, great oyster bay (scenic cruise), port arthur, hobart, and back to sydney) on majestic princess but it seems that most of the balconies on the port side are already taken. From the map it seems there will be more to see if i book a room on the port side but the only ones available are either very expensive (or under the buffet restaurant) so I want to know from people who have done this route before whether it is worth to pay the premium or it does not matter as most of the time it is too far away from the shore to see anything?

 

Any comments will be much appreciated.

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have done a Tasmania cruise before (about 4 1/2 years ago) which included Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart and honestly I wouldn’t lose any sleep over what side the ship you’re on. Just pick one that’s well located on the ship and affordable.

 

I had to go back to photos to try and even remember what side we were on.  It turns out it was Port side and the only time I remember that being particularly memorable was when we got to our cabin and had a nice view of the opera house.  But that was because the ship was nose in.  A quick google image search suggests ships do sometimes back in.

 

At both Melbourne and Hobart, we enjoyed the approach from up on deck.  The Melbourne city skyline was in the distance and the port wasn’t overly interesting.  Hobart was a reasonably pretty port, but for the life of me, I can’t remember looking at it out the window, which I presume means the better view was from Starboard (someone will correct me if I’m wrong).  Also the day trip to Port Arthur and a wildlife sanctuary that we did was quite long, so we didn’t have a lot of time to sit and admire the view anyway.

 

I hope that helps.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do that cruise most years on one ship or another, doing it in December on Majestic, honestly it doesn’t matter much what side you are on, in Oyster Bay you will swing around so everyone gets a look, going up and down the Derwent will equal out as will going in and out of Port Arthur, either side you will have ocean one direction land the other, but 9 out of 10 you can’t see much land anyway.

 

And that from a bloke who prefers Port on any cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

 

i had a port side cabin going north from Melbourne. Because very late night departure and slow speed, the views along the southern coast of Victoria (e.g., Wilson’s Prom) were wonderful.

 

once we turned the corner, we were too far out to sea, or it was too dark, to see much until sailing into Sydney. Of course, that was very early in the morning.

 

The other option for any of this is to go up on deck for the most scenic parts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have never really worried about what side the cabin is on, as if something is worth seeing, the ship will give both sides an opportunity to see it. I prefer the picking of the cabin's location so that a quick trip to the upper deck or the promenade is easily achieved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, vipro said:

We are looking to book a tour from Sydney to Tasmania (sydney, melbourne, great oyster bay (scenic cruise), port arthur, hobart, and back to sydney) on majestic princess but it seems that most of the balconies on the port side are already taken. From the map it seems there will be more to see if i book a room on the port side but the only ones available are either very expensive (or under the buffet restaurant) so I want to know from people who have done this route before whether it is worth to pay the premium or it does not matter as most of the time it is too far away from the shore to see anything?

 

Any comments will be much appreciated.

 

Thanks

There is just one thing only that I would do everything to avoid when booking a cabin, and that is being underneath the buffet, pool decks, night club, and theatre.

Then I try really hard to book a midship cabin with balcony.  Port or starboard doesn’t really matter as the ship moves - though like Gut, I’m a port traveller 🤔.

If no midship cabin available, will go mid-aft before mid-fwd.

And that’s my two bobs worth 👍

Edited by Porky55
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

There is just one thing only that I would do everything to avoid when booking a cabin, and that is being underneath the buffet, pool decks, night club, and theatre.

Then I try really hard to book a midship cabin with balcony.  Port or starboard doesn’t really matter as the ship moves - though like Gut, I’m a port traveller 🤔.

If no midship cabin available, will go mid-aft before mid-fwd.

And that’s my two bobs worth 👍

Yep sandwich deck, cabins above and below, as close to mid ship as possible, I rather port, but that is probably only because my first few cruises were that side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep sandwich deck, cabins above and below, as close to mid ship as possible, I rather port, but that is probably only because my first few cruises were that side.

Us too - and I seem to have a thing with liking an even numbered cabin, most port side cabins are even #.

Yet to find a ship that isn’t this way - but of course there will be  😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Us too - and I seem to have a thing with liking an even numbered cabin, most port side cabins are even #.

Yet to find a ship that isn’t this way - but of course there will be  😉

In seem to recall Celebrity Century was odd numbers on Port

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

About the only thing I can add is that, on port, you may get an excellent view of the opera house at sunrise otherwise I'm with the others already mentioned.

Yes that is one great reason if I have to come home Port side coming into Sydney at Dawn is sublime.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The best view is up on top deck with a drink and a view to all directions.  The opera house, the bridge, the boats everywhere, the interesting skyline - Sydney Harbour is probably the best port I’ve cruised out of.  

Edited by oskarNZ
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the suggestion, it probably seems i can save around AU$250 for not deliberately taking a port side balcony. You guys are right, just go up to the deck to see it if required. And now that reminds me, most of the time we were not even up when the ship approached and docked in a port 🤣

 

Btw, why choose aft first before forward? is it because of the engine/vibration?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No i meant when choosing the side balcony cabins, why choose mid-aft before mid-forward? anyway at the end i had to go with a side starboard at the forward, that was the only room available that is not under the buffet deck... 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I do that cruise most years on one ship or another, doing it in December on Majestic, honestly it doesn’t matter much what side you are on, in Oyster Bay you will swing around so everyone gets a look, going up and down the Derwent will equal out as will going in and out of Port Arthur, either side you will have ocean one direction land the other, but 9 out of 10 you can’t see much land anyway.

 

And that from a bloke who prefers Port on any cruise.

 

Just saw you in the roll call on 7th Dec... thanks for your help and good to know someone who knows the way 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with others, the port side won't make a big difference. Main impact is where you are in port, rather than for the voyage. Most of the time you're away from land, or there isn't much to see (just the coast in the distance).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...