Cruise Critic Community
Turtles06

Where to have poutine in Quebec City?

I definitely want to try poutine when we are in Quebec City next month.  We have an overnight port call, and while I'm sure there are many places to get poutine, I'm particularly looking for recommendations in the Lower Town, where we might walk from the ship.  But I'd appreciate Upper Town suggestions as well.

Thanks!

I recommend Aux Anciens Canadiens.  I’ve been there twice (although I never ordered poutine) and both visits have been excellent!  They do a well-priced daily special which includes poutine for a small upcharge. 

As I have written in another thread, poutine is junk food best enjoyed from a chip wagon after a night of carousing. However, you will likely want to try it at a reputable hour and at a place where you can sit down to eat it.  Most restaurants will have it on the menu, but you should try one of the snack bars where it is a specialty. In the Upper Town, try Snack Bar St-Jean on Rue St-Jean or Chez Ashton which has one of its many branches just off Rue St-Jean.  Both places offer a number of varieties involving different meats and sauces but I recommend the classic of frites, cheese curds and brown gravy.  Mind you, I haven’t eaten a dish of poutine in ages. 

I second Aux Anciens Canadian.....been going there 30 years, never disappoints. Lower and Upper Town have so many bistros and more elegant eateries that it's hard to make a bad choiceh

Like Laverendrye wrote, poutine is junk food.  You will get a fancy version at a place like Anciens Canadiens, where they might add pork shank or confit duck leg, if that suits your fancy.

Having lived in Québec city a couple of years, I agree that the best "junk food" version would be at Chez Ashton. That is a small chain of restaurants that are quite easy to find around the city.  Their poutine is made with their exquisitely fat fries, and the appropriate cheese and gravy.  That will get you your fix for a while.

If you were in Montréal, then you would head to La Banquise (open 24hrs), and queue outside for a short while.  While I have never been to La Banquise, it's no secret that they serve the best poutine in Montréal.  They have around 30 different recipes.  Nuts. 

8 minutes ago, Zephyr173 said:

Like Laverendrye wrote, poutine is junk food.  You will get a fancy version at a place like Anciens Canadiens, where they might add pork shank or confit duck leg, if that suits your fancy.

Having lived in Québec city a couple of years, I agree that the best "junk food" version would be at Chez Ashton. That is a small chain of restaurants that are quite easy to find around the city.  Their poutine is made with their exquisitely fat fries, and the appropriate cheese and gravy.  That will get you your fix for a while.

Thanks very much.   It's pretty clear that it's junk food, how could it not be?  🤣     My wife, in fact, has no interest in even trying it.  I won't go out of my way to do so, but it's good to have a few places to look out for.