Cruise Critic Community
Trixie21

Apartments in New York

We are booked on Adventure of the Seas in July 2020 to the Caribbean from Bayonne.

There are 3 families (9 people in total ) and we are looking for an apartment which will hold all of us in New York for 4 nights prior to the cruise. 

Any suggestions as to location , and the best company to book through?

We have never used Airbnb - maybe worth a try in this case?

Can't really help, but keep in mind that NYC does have limits on Airbnb. Also note that apartments in NYC are small, 9 people might be extremely tight.

The New Yorkers have posted to not use services like Airbnb in New York because it is not really legal.  I’m sure someone will comment.  I’ve seen apartments on sites like Expedia.  radio City Apartments comes to mind.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Can't really help, but keep in mind that NYC does have limits on Airbnb. Also note that apartments in NYC are small, 9 people might be extremely tight.

Agree. 9 people in 1 apartment for 4 nights. A formula that does not indicate success. Best to focus on securing a hotel in NY or NJ. 

1 hour ago, 138east said:

The New Yorkers have posted to not use services like Airbnb in New York because it is not really legal.  I’m sure someone will comment.

The judge actually blocked the NYC law from taking effect aimed at curbing Airbnb. It's still ambiguous to the legal status but you can rent an Airbnb in New York without an issue. 

That being said this is going to be a tight squeeze with 9 people for a reasonable price. As others have said you might be more comfortable finding a hotel. Anything less than $1000 a night has beds stacked in small rooms dormitory style with not enough bathrooms and even the more expensive ones aren't a ton of square footage. I've tried Airbnb a few times in London and once in NYC and really just haven't been impressed with the whole process. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

The judge actually blocked the NYC law from taking effect aimed at curbing Airbnb. It's still ambiguous to the legal status but you can rent an Airbnb in New York without an issue. 

The law that that the judge temporarily blocked is the city legislation that would have forced companies like Airbnb to disclose monthly detailed information about their listings and the names and addresses of their hosts.

There was already a state law in effect that makes many if not most Airbnb-type rentals illegal. The judge did nothing to block that law, which remains in effect. What the city was trying to do with the new law was to force the on line home-sharing sites to turn over data that it says it needs to actually enforce the existing state law. Without that data it's next to impossible to enforce the first law.

So, while there's essentially nothing preventing you from renting an Airbnb unit, it is in most cases still illegal to do so in NY State. They just don't have an effective way to enforce that law without the law that the judge blocked with the temporary injunction. 

Posted (edited)

What are your exact dates?  You’re sailing on Adventure from Cape Liberty?  What airport are you flying into (hopefully Newark)?  What are your sightseeing plans in NYC?  What is makeup of your group and children's ages?  Candlewood Suites with kitchens in Jersey City (showing at about $250/night for a room with a queen and a sofa bed) could be an option with good access to PATH to go to midtown and downtown plus the accessible light rail right at the hotel to get to Bayonne.  You could access the SOL ferry from NJ via light rail and Liberty Landing ferry.

Edited by 138east

If an apartment rental is in a NYC building of 3 or more units, it is illegal.  Doesn't matter if it's Airbnb, VRBO, Booking.com, or anything else.

Smaller buildings may have rules against rentals, but those are more difficult to suss out.

If you are in an apartment rental and the owner is there with you during your stay and you have FULL access to EVERY room in the place, then it could fit into a loophole on the 3+ unit law.  But then you lose your privacy and that might be another issue for you.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

i specified an apartment , but of course it ccould be a townhouse. Not sure if that makes things easier or opens up other options?

We are also looking at hotels , but quite liked the idea of all staying together!

Any other options will be gratefully accepted!

1 hour ago, Trixie21 said:

i specified an apartment , but of course it ccould be a townhouse. Not sure if that makes things easier or opens up other options?

Unfortunately it doesn't-- any sort of short term rentals falls officially afoul of the law. But, this is one of those situations in NYC that the technology and market are way ahead of the regulations. When Uber first came out it was technically illegal in a lot of cities (and still is in some)-- but you as the consumer aren't going to be penalized or hassled over booking. 

I would suggest Googling NYC apartments. You aren't going to find one big enough for 9 people to stay comfortably.

On 8/11/2019 at 4:30 AM, 138east said:

What are your exact dates?  You’re sailing on Adventure from Cape Liberty?  What airport are you flying into (hopefully Newark)?  What are your sightseeing plans in NYC?  What is makeup of your group and children's ages?  Candlewood Suites with kitchens in Jersey City (showing at about $250/night for a room with a queen and a sofa bed) could be an option with good access to PATH to go to midtown and downtown plus the accessible light rail right at the hotel to get to Bayonne.  You could access the SOL ferry from NJ via light rail and Liberty Landing ferry.

Another option would be an Airbnb in Hoboken NJ near access to public transportation into Manhattan. 

Posted (edited)

Unless you are thinking of renting an entire house, I think you will have a difficult time finding accommodations for 9 in an apartment hotel and even an Airbnb in Hoboken. The suggestion of Jersey City is a good one, look into that option.

Edited by meadowlander

Posted (edited)

Odds of finding an affordable apartment ("serviced flats") adequately sized to house & sleep 9 adults in Manhattan (midtown/Times Square and/or downtown/Lower Manhattan - Financial Districts) are next to nil and none, legally and in compliance with life/fire safety codes with "easy" access to public transportation.  

You will find a fully furnished townhouse or multi-family home in eastern Queens, suitable for 9 but it isn't going to be a bargain - even it if comply with housing & building, fire codes, etc. especially when you factor in extra travel costs AND time - getting to your ship at CL for embarkation will likely need 2 minivan or a full size van, depending on luggage counts.  You will spend at least 1 hour each way to get into midtown Manhattan via subway - not fun, trust me, especially during peak travel time.  Depending on what airport you are using to come into NY/NJ - the costs will add up quickly.  

IMO, it is just not worth the legal (housing & building codes/fire safety regulations) risks and headache involved - refer to questions by 138east in post #7 above - she will come up with some proposed options upon getting the details from you.   Let me reiterate that these short-term rentals within NYC are illegal and unregulated - would you be willing to risk a vacate order posted and nowhere to stay upon returning after a long day in the "city" with your belongings possibly curbside.  

Edited by mking8288

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Unless you are thinking of renting an entire house, I think you will have a difficult time finding accommodations for 9 in an apartment hotel and even an Airbnb in Hoboken. The suggestion of Jersey City is a good one, look into that option.

I was actually surprised to find a bunch, a friend from out of town rented a 2 bedroom a year ago for a college visit, which gave me the idea. https://www.airbnb.com/s/Hoboken--NJ/homes?place_id=ChIJ0TMVjWBXwokRh783EWrKtkQ&click_referer=t%3ASEE_ALL|sid%3A63b0aa04-102c-4bbc-8dc4-3ac7a2e245ee|st%3ALANDING_PAGE_MARQUEE&title_type=NONE&refinement_paths[]=%2Fhomes&s_tag=kR13itUd&checkin=2019-09-14&checkout=2019-09-15&adults=5&children=4

OK, looks like these are Jersey City, but in a good area. Four nights for 9 people in a hotel even in NJ is going to cost a lot. You will save a lot on food if you have a kitchen. Your NYC stay will probably cost more than your cruise.

Edited by mjkacmom

On 8/11/2019 at 4:30 AM, 138east said:

What are your exact dates?  

You’re sailing on Adventure from Cape Liberty?  

What airport are you flying into (hopefully Newark)?  

What are your sightseeing plans in NYC?  

What is makeup of your group and children's ages?  

And most important what is your budget per night?

Apparently you’re from the UK.  Candlewood Suites is a self catering option that focuses on business travelers with good transportation options. Another more pricey self catering option with free breakfast is Residence Inn in Jersey City at the Grove Street PATH Station. I stayed there last January and it was really nice.  Lots of restaurants and bars in a happening newly developed neighborhood. IMO wherever you stay in NYC, you’re going to spend time traveling elsewhere, so there’s really no perfect place.  

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

19 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Unfortunately it doesn't-- any sort of short term rentals falls officially afoul of the law. But, this is one of those situations in NYC that the technology and market are way ahead of the regulations. When Uber first came out it was technically illegal in a lot of cities (and still is in some)-- but you as the consumer aren't going to be penalized or hassled over booking. 

True, there is no fine for the customer, but you could arrive to find the listing has been pulled due to legal issues taken against the landlord, or landlord fear of repercussions which can be significant, and then you have nowhere to go.

Visitors have also been kicked out in the middle of a stay due to angry neighbors reporting the stay.

And then there's the whole "just don't do it because it's illegal" thing, that some folks still concern themselves with.

18 hours ago, mking8288 said:

IMO, it is just not worth the legal (housing & building codes/fire safety regulations) risks and headache involved -

I can't believe I'm even semi defending them because I don't even like Airbnb, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with building codes or fire safety regulations-- it is a state law that prevents apartments from being rented for less than 30 days without the primary owner also residing there. The cities argument is that this depletes the already short supply of affordable housing when apartments are being taken off the market to be converted into de facto hotels. It has nothing at all to do with fire safety or building codes. 

19 hours ago, mking8288 said:

would you be willing to risk a vacate order posted and nowhere to stay upon returning after a long day in the "city" with your belongings possibly curbside.  

Also way over the top-- no one has had their things put curbside-- thats not even how these things work. The consumer is not the target here. There have been a handful of raids aimed only at real estate brokers and property managers who have listed apartments purely to rent out on a nightly basis (vs the person who occasionally rents their place out which have not seen any raids). 

I personally don't like Airbnb, and would much rather stay in a hotel, but its also ridiculous to hear blatant misinformation and needless fear mongering over something like this.