Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Esilef

Last minute cruises

I may need to do a last minute cruise in September/October of this year. How last minute can you book or will I find cruises are fully booked well in advance? I might only have a week or twos notice.

reason for this is that I need to move out of my new house whilst they landscape and do concrete. At this stage I have no real idea of the start date.

Posted (edited)

If you're open to any cruiseline/destination/departure port then you may have some luck. I have booked as late as 7-10 days prior in the past and booked my sister on a cruise within 24 hours of departure. In the last month or so I looked at some cruises ex Sydney for my parents with super specials and sailing within 3-4 days. 

There are less ships here in winter say that decreases your chances, and school holidays fall end Sept/early Oct so they should be pretty well booked for those dates. Recently I've noticed Carnival have had some last minute specials, but I've never sailed with them so didn't pay much more attention to the details.

It's really impossible to say... too many variables I'm afraid. Good luck! I do love a last minute cruise!

Edited by mum and son

For that time of year, specials aren't likely. Combination of fewer cruises, with school hols and events for the few here.

You can probably get last minute, but won't be super cheap.

Posted (edited)

Esilef, 

Couldn’t you book something then if you don’t need to cruise it becomes a future deposit for something else?? 

Few offers floating around ........

Edited by Porky55

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Esilef, 

Couldn’t you book something then if you don’t need to cruise it becomes a future deposit for something else?? 

Few offers floating around ........

She would lose her deposit if the dates were wrong.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

There is one Oz cruising website that is very good for looking up last minute cruises. Their website layout makes it very easy to quickly scan through what is available.

A few years ago we booked a last minute Carnival cruise, 2-3 weeks before the November embarkation date and scored an excellent deal.

If you are looking at Sep/Oct there could be some last minute bargains in reposition cruises on the ships coming down for the season.....ep Singapore to Sydney , Honolulu to Sydney . They would need to be at a very good price to make up for the one way air fare to join the ship. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

i guess I will need to wait until the landscaper advises a start date. With this weather in Melbourne, it might be pushed out latter.

going on a cruise, seems to be the best way of being out of the house whilst they work.

my 10 year old would however love the concrete mixer but end up in it.

The school hols ending on the 14th, here in NSW. You might find some-thing cheaper. At the moment, there would be Carnival & P&O as your 2 main options.

I have a eye on a short 7 dayer with Carnival for that 14th October.$899 inside with $100 OBC. It hasn't gone. Pack"N"Go yet.