Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
janny444

Preregistering/Booking For September 2021

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Azura will call to Kotor 3 times in 2021. But no visit to Ionian islands & Olympia. Also, no Istanbul when most of the other companies will already have returned by 2021. And why always 2 sea days? One should be enough. Oceana has more options in 2020. What's happening with Med and UK companies I don't know. Cunard also will have one itinerary to Med with only Adriatic ports (no Greece). It seems only Marella Cruises is doing a good job with itineraries.

For anyone stuck with school holidays Kotor is a 'no chance'.

Thankfully we have booked Oceana for August 2020.

A few years ago we looked at Cunard as they were doing some good itineraries to the Med --- no more

To be honest, even taking into consideration Celebrity (loved our EDGE cruise) I think we are heading for a land holiday in Sorrento in 2021. P&O itineraries don't inspire us and the Celebrity EDGE ones are too expensive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

 

I really don't understand why P&O just have one ship in the Med. as a fly cruise as TUI have more and good itineraries. Surely it would be a good move to put 2 ships in the Med - one adults only (Oceana) and one for families (Azura). If they put Oceana as a fly cruise like they used to (Genoa to Venice) that didn't keep going back to Malta every 7 days and it was adults only I actually think we would be happy to pay more !!!!!

Just me typing aloud !

Why not base in Naples ? Imagine the places they could visit from there. Is it just me thinking they are missing a trick?

 

PS Where has Kotor gone? One of the most beautiful places on the planet and they don't go there anymore :-(

 

PPS Have just said to hubby that it is like they have no imagination re any possible new itineraries … ahhh

Naples, missing a trick. You should say avoiding a disaster. Have you not read the Marella boards about the utter chaos in using Naples Airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, daiB said:

Naples, missing a trick. You should say avoiding a disaster. Have you not read the Marella boards about the utter chaos in using Naples Airport.

No … just stay with cruise lines we love (P&O and Celebrity). Don't look at Marella much as don't fancy what they have to offer

 

Naples may be chaotic but Malta wasn't great when we boarded there ………..

 

Naples, however, is worth the 'pain' ………… there is just so much to do and see from there.

 

PS Normally agree with what you have to say DaiB, but not this time

 

Edited by Presto2
spelling error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

No … just stay with cruise lines we love (P&O and Celebrity). Don't look at Marella much as don't fancy what they have to offer

 

Naples may be chaotic but Malta wasn't great when we boarded there

 

Naples, whoever, is worth the 'pain' ………… there is just so much to do and see from there.

 

PS Normally agree with what you have to say DaiB, but not this time

 

Not sure what yo mean by so much to see and do. All the ports you can sail to are accessible from Malta just the same as Naples. Or do you mean an add on land holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daiB said:

Not sure what yo mean by so much to see and do. All the ports you can sail to are accessible from Malta just the same as Naples. Or do you mean an add on land holiday.

 

Thinking about it, I suppose you can do a longer cruise without this ridiculous go back every 7 days.

We love Campania and from Naples the world opens to Sorrento, Naples, Ischia, Capri, Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, Pompeii, Herculaneum to name a few places. There are also loads of places from there.

Thinking about it you could do a stay and cruise ------------ looking back Ocean Village did this type of holiday well (now TUI do) and if I was P&O I would be thinking about this.

P&O do need to be more creative and give more options

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s just a realistic fact that returning to Malta every week is operationally easier (therefore read cheaper).

 

I once read an article which suggested that the cost of the charter flights to Venice / Genoa on alternate weeks was extortionate as the airports required the land rights to be paid for every week in the season even though only used on alternate weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

For anyone stuck with school holidays Kotor is a 'no chance'.

Kotor is a tender port for Azura and there is s distinct lack of family friendly excursions so it’s sensible for it not to be a port of call during school holidays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

 

Thinking about it, I suppose you can do a longer cruise without this ridiculous go back every 7 days.

We love Campania and from Naples the world opens to Sorrento, Naples, Ischia, Capri, Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, Pompeii, Herculaneum to name a few places. There are also loads of places from there.

Thinking about it you could do a stay and cruise ------------ looking back Ocean Village did this type of holiday well (now TUI do) and if I was P&O I would be thinking about this.

P&O do need to be more creative and give more options

P&O’ core market is cruising ex U.K. that is what they do. It has always been my contention that this is what they could concentrate on. Their problem is that with 7 ships they start to run out of new places to go to. The worlds trouble spots having flare ups make it more difficult. However 5 of our next 8 cruises have new ports, to us. 

 

Adding in land holidays on top of top of cruises does cause complications especially with filling charter flights. Marella can do it more easily as they have their own infrastructure in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Kotor is a tender port for Azura and there is s distinct lack of family friendly excursions so it’s sensible for it not to be a port of call during school holidays.

 

Unless you are an adult stuck with school holidays who needs a holiday in school holiday time …….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, daiB said:

P&O’ core market is cruising ex U.K. that is what they do. It has always been my contention that this is what they could concentrate on. Their problem is that with 7 ships they start to run out of new places to go to. The worlds trouble spots having flare ups make it more difficult. However 5 of our next 8 cruises have new ports, to us. 

 

Adding in land holidays on top of top of cruises does cause complications especially with filling charter flights. Marella can do it more easily as they have their own infrastructure in place.

 

I suppose we are limited to when we can cruise and this limits the port choices. One day when we retire I suppose we will be able to make the most of what P&O (and all cruise lines) can offer. I.e We want to go to a cruise that covers Israel but no chance in the school holidays :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

 

Unless you are an adult stuck with school holidays who needs a holiday in school holiday time …….

Hence why P&O retain adults only ships. I do acknowledge that with only having 2 that their options for itineraries at any point in the year are limited.

 

if Oceana remains in the fleet beyond 2021, I’ll be amazed if she doesn’t become adults only to restore three ships. Despite P&Os change in market focus, 5 large family ships and 1 smaller ship seems excessive for 2022.

 

This should restore some itinerary choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

 

Thinking about it, I suppose you can do a longer cruise without this ridiculous go back every 7 days.

We love Campania and from Naples the world opens to Sorrento, Naples, Ischia, Capri, Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, Pompeii, Herculaneum to name a few places. There are also loads of places from there.

Thinking about it you could do a stay and cruise ------------ looking back Ocean Village did this type of holiday well (now TUI do) and if I was P&O I would be thinking about this.

P&O do need to be more creative and give more options

As Dai says P&O are Carnivals main cruise line for Southampton sailings. Whilst having one ship doing fly cruises for UK passengers is obviously acceptable, I suspect allocating any more to fly cruises is only going to have a negative impact on Princess, which is Carnival's main fly cruise line for med cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As Dai says P&O are Carnivals main cruise line for Southampton sailings. Whilst having one ship doing fly cruises for UK passengers is obviously acceptable, I suspect allocating any more to fly cruises is only going to have a negative impact on Princess, which is Carnival's main fly cruise line for med cruises.

I suppose I get that but Princess prices are silly money and even higher than Celebrity (and their prices are certainly not cheap).

I don't get Carnival's strategy for P&O at the moment, as it is pushing us (sadly) elsewhere, but that is another thread  I guess ………….

Edited by Presto2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I suppose I get that but Princess prices are silly money and even higher than Celebrity (and their prices are certainly not cheap).

I don't get Carnival's strategy for P&O at the moment, as it is pushing us (sadly) elsewhere, but that is another thread  I guess ………….

I have to agree there. Disposing of the smaller ships and repetitive itineraries has driven me to Saga and Oceania aside from a cheapie bargain in January on Oceana and the Iona maiden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

I suppose I get that but Princess prices are silly money and even higher than Celebrity (and their prices are certainly not cheap).

I don't get Carnival's strategy for P&O at the moment, as it is pushing us (sadly) elsewhere, but that is another thread  I guess ………….

Yes I noticed the costs of Princess for the types of cabin we use and they are way above  those of P&O. However I am noticing that Princess start high and then tend to be offered at a cheaper level near to sailing. This is of course the opposite of P&at who at the moment are cheapest when they are first offered. 

 

Interestingly i never hear about Princess itineraries being boring even when they have used the exact same Med cruise from Southampton for years. They even have a T-shirt for the cruise.which they rollout 2/3 times a year. 

 

I suppose we are lucky in the fact we like all the ships of any size and have a 28 night B to B on Iona to come in 21. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, daiB said:

Yes I noticed the costs of Princess for the types of cabin we use and they are way above  those of P&O. However I am noticing that Princess start high and then tend to be offered at a cheaper level near to sailing. This is of course the opposite of P&at who at the moment are cheapest when they are first offered. 

 

Interestingly i never hear about Princess itineraries being boring even when they have used the exact same Med cruise from Southampton for years. They even have a T-shirt for the cruise.which they rollout 2/3 times a year. 

 

I suppose we are lucky in the fact we like all the ships of any size and have a 28 night B to B on Iona to come in 21. 

You are right Dai that most lines have repeat itineraries, presumably because it makes it easier to manage.   But of course you and I are not too worried about repeat itineraries, we are happy just to wander around the same places, just changing the bar or cafe that we use, whilst others want to visit lots of different places.

As regards Princess, I wonder if they still allow you to price match reduced offers, we saved 40% by doing this on our last Princess cruise in 2013 or 14?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Presto2 said:

 

To be honest, even taking into consideration Celebrity (loved our EDGE cruise) I think we are heading for a land holiday in Sorrento in 2021. P&O itineraries don't inspire us and the Celebrity EDGE ones are too expensive.

 

 

This is the rub for us - prices and exchange rates have pushed us back to P&O in the last couple of years and although we have enjoyed the recent cruises on P&O for us they are not Celebrity or Princess. We have found that Fly Cruises are much more expensive now than they used to be and are finding that the P&O ex- Southampton cruises are getting repetitive. We have 5 cruises booked with P&O up to Feb 21 and are not sure what to do for Summer 2021. We keep looking at Marella but never quite 'push the button' to book one. We try to book on opening day for P&O so it will be decision day for Summer 2021 soon but don't mind if it is delayed a bit, I think we may just let this opening day go and see how we feel nearer the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

 

This is the rub for us - prices and exchange rates have pushed us back to P&O in the last couple of years and although we have enjoyed the recent cruises on P&O for us they are not Celebrity or Princess. We have found that Fly Cruises are much more expensive now than they used to be and are finding that the P&O ex- Southampton cruises are getting repetitive. We have 5 cruises booked with P&O up to Feb 21 and are not sure what to do for Summer 2021. We keep looking at Marella but never quite 'push the button' to book one. We try to book on opening day for P&O so it will be decision day for Summer 2021 soon but don't mind if it is delayed a bit, I think we may just let this opening day go and see how we feel nearer the time.

 

We keep looking at other cruise lines, but like you, just don't seem to push the button. 

The deciding factor for us is do we have one Celebrity etc cruise or 2 or 3 P&O.

I know they are not 3 times more expensive but the better/longer itineries have a cost, so the budget for 3 early savers to the usual places can equate to one 2 week cruise on RCCL. 

All that said, we still love P&O and find the familiarity comforting and are still managing to enjoy most of the ports. 

The European Cities should be treated like a trip to London, you have to go back numerous times to see it all and then see it again and as for the Fjords, I could never get bored of visiting there. 

We are happy to stick with P&O for now. 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

We keep looking at other cruise lines, but like you, just don't seem to push the button. 

The deciding factor for us is do we have one Celebrity etc cruise or 2 or 3 P&O.

I know they are not 3 times more expensive but the better/longer itineries have a cost, so the budget for 3 early savers to the usual places can equate to one 2 week cruise on RCCL. 

All that said, we still love P&O and find the familiarity comforting and are still managing to enjoy most of the ports. 

The European Cities should be treated like a trip to London, you have to go back numerous times to see it all and then see it again and as for the Fjords, I could never get bored of visiting there. 

We are happy to stick with P&O for now. 

Andy

I find that using a mobility scooter I like the certainty of ports which are familiar. It helps to know we’re you are going and the accessibility. We love Cadiz as we know our way around and the restaurants we like. We must have been there 10 times but if we went for a stay of a week we would have more time there than when we have been by cruise.

 

BTW Andy we have dipped our toes in Princess and we are doing the same with Morella next summer. The latter is from the Tyne. Taxi from home 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, daiB said:

I find that using a mobility scooter I like the certainty of ports which are familiar. It helps to know we’re you are going and the accessibility. We love Cadiz as we know our way around and the restaurants we like. We must have been there 10 times but if we went for a stay of a week we would have more time there than when we have been by cruise.

 

BTW Andy we have dipped our toes in Princess and we are doing the same with Morella next summer. The latter is from the Tyne. Taxi from home 😎

Good point about the mobility, we have to research heavily for new ports as Michelle cannot always walk too far or cope with steep inclines.

Fantastic that you can go from your home port Dai, that would definitely be a deciding factor for us. 

I am sure the other lines are great, but factoring in cost, ease and familiarity, P&O wins for us at the moment, but I am sure we will jump ship in the future. 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Good point about the mobility, we have to research heavily for new ports as Michelle cannot always walk too far or cope with steep inclines.

Fantastic that you can go from your home port Dai, that would definitely be a deciding factor for us. 

I am sure the other lines are great, but factoring in cost, ease and familiarity, P&O wins for us at the moment, but I am sure we will jump ship in the future. 

Andy

We jumped ship this year and went back to Princess for one cruise and Celebrity for another. 

 

We are back to P&O for our winter cruises in November and February because we can't fly and P&O still have ships out of Southampton all year round and there are few other lines out of the UK during the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone thinking of cruising with Princess my advice is not to discount them if you look at cruises a long way off unless you want a particular cabin. Princess have for a number of years always started high and reduce as they get closer to sail date. Also a benefit compared to P&O is doesnt matter how late you book you choose your cabin and dinner timing if still available at time of booking. The downside is $14-50pppd gratuities very high drinks prices compared to P&O and they add 18% service charge. But for those that dont drink a great deal, like us, it is not a big issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to the regulars here, we now have a few cruises booked with P&O.  In the past we were put off with the "cost" in comparison to other lines as we have a child and are fixed with when we travel.  However, we now does just book the minute the new itineraries come out. Why didn't I do that before?! What with the low deposit, good child prices, choice of cabin, no-fly and obc we are more than happy to sail with P&O.  Agreed that itineraries are somewhat repetitive but other lines, especially now out of the med, are just as tedious  (I don't want to see Marseilles for at least another decade)!  We are now just focusing on the ship and onboard experiences/facilities.   Though some ports are have better sail in and out - Rotterdam being one of my favourites.

 

By the way, MSC will have a presence from Southampton for 2021.  We have booked the short May 2021 cruise.  Also, has someone else suggested, Princess is good and we have booked a short October cruise for 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 TA emails 2day confirm registration opens 14 Oct   4sale   21 october

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest P&O Cruises collection is coming soon, and with more new holidays to choose from you will soon be soaking up the thrill of travel that’s filled with exploration, laughter and good times.

From sailing away on a well-earned weekend break to embarking on a journey to iconic destinations, it’s not long until you can take your first look at all of the amazing holidays on offer.
 
To make sure you get the pick of the bunch, here are some key dates for your diary:
 
 
Register your interest:
 
8am Monday 14 October to 4pm Sunday 20 October 2019
 
Add the date to your calendar
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
On sale exclusively for Caribbean, Baltic and Ligurian tier members of our P&O Cruises Peninsular Club:
 
8am Monday 21 October to 8pm Tuesday 22 October 2019
 
Add the date to your calendar
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
On general sale from:
 
8am Wednesday 23 October 2019
 
Add the date to your calendar
 
 
 
 
 

 

Edited by janny444

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...