Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Windsailer

Aegean Odyssey - What's the Status?

Does anyone know if the AO is going to ready to go for the cruises in September? Other than the engine has anything else been done to the ship? And on a related note - is Road Scholars going to make any changes to the ship (cabins, food, dining options) before it takes over the ship in 2020?

On 8/11/2019 at 10:56 AM, Windsailer said:

Does anyone know if the AO is going to ready to go for the cruises in September? Other than the engine has anything else been done to the ship? And on a related note - is Road Scholars going to make any changes to the ship (cabins, food, dining options) before it takes over the ship in 2020?

Not talking from any specific knowledge, but here are my guesses:

RS will not make any changes to the cabins; they are only leasing the ship

RS will likely make changes to food, because I think they need to come in at a lower price point when they have to market the whole ship than they did when they were only one group on board. If you look at their tours, they are mostly shorter than VtoA cruises. (It looks like there are choices for lunch, if at sea, and dinner, of the Terrace Cafe or the Marco Polo Restaurant.)

Road Scholar will not include the two night hotel stays in departure and arrival cities at beginning and end of cruises. No perks for Odysseys Club members either. 

We (4 of us) were to sail on their last cruise of the season. We cancelled because if there was a problem well we would be screwed. Also with only 6 weeks of cruising to staff and get food on board for I did not trust them to be able to do it at their AoT standards. We loved this cruise line and will miss it. So long old friend.

Voyages to Antiquity web site still shows Sept 4 cruise on schedule, although that doesn't necessarily mean much.  But MarineTraffic shows the Aegean Odyssey has finally left its repair location and is currently moored near Athens -- that's a good sign.  For the first September cruise, the ship has to be near Rome by September 7th, and that should certainly be doable.  

I will miss the ship and was in fact on the cruise that went up the west coast of Africa this year. 

Since there are no perks, things are paid for in US$ and no airline gateway listed for Canada, I'm afraid it's a farewell for me for this company too.

Shar

Sad day indeed. Does anyone know whether the lease to Road Scholar means the end of the road for VTA, or is there a chance they will carry on again down the road?

I enjoyed so many wonderful cruises onboard Aegean Odyssey. I don't rule out a trip on her through RS, but I am not sure it will be the same experience...

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sad day indeed. Does anyone know whether the lease to Road Scholar means the end of the road for VTA, or is there a chance they will carry on again down the road?

I enjoyed so many wonderful cruises onboard Aegean Odyssey. I don't rule out a trip on her through RS, but I am not sure it will be the same experience...

I'm hoping they will continue but 3 years is a long time.

There is absolutely nothing on the VTA website about this. It just shows the cruises to October, and nothing else. There is nothing in the blog about the lease, nor is there anything in the news section.

Edited by gnome12

Cynthia - Staff said that VtA is still in business as a travel agent so could perhaps assist with travel arrangements.   That information came from Allison who quite frankly is not the best source. My concern is there will be a lot of lay offs etc. at their various locations.

I guess we could wait to see after the last of this year's cruise to see if they post anything.

Shar

On 9/8/2019 at 12:49 PM, Ontariotrekker said:

Cynthia - Staff said that VtA is still in business as a travel agent so could perhaps assist with travel arrangements.   That information came from Allison who quite frankly is not the best source. My concern is there will be a lot of lay offs etc. at their various locations.

I guess we could wait to see after the last of this year's cruise to see if they post anything.

Shar

Thanks Shar -- I will keep checking in from time to time. Meantime I am planning a HAL cruise next April around Japan and a BTB on one of the (somewhat) smaller Celebrity ships in the Eastern Med in Nov 2020. After that, we'll see....

VtA responded to my inquiry about their blog and said that they will try to keep the website up to date.

BTW - I'll be dong a HAL cruise from Sydney to Vancouver next April.

Shar

Any recent Aegean Odyssey cruisers out there who can let us know the current condition of the ship? Would much appreciate it!