Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Yokeko

Packing for two VERY different trips

Recommended Posts

I need suggestions for packing for a cruise from Rome to Fort Lauderdale. We need to pack for one month of travel in Morocco, four days in Rome and a 13-day cruise. We haven’t made it easy for ourselves packing-wise by tacking a cruise on to our land trip, and I am now stressing about how not to look like a trekker in the ship’s dining room. We travel with only a small roll-on bag so the packing challenge is real! 

 

Would love to hear from other cruisers who travel light and look put together packing less. Would love to hear your tips! 

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I travel with my Little Black T-shirt Dress for that kind of multi-faceted trip.  I bought it years ago.  I can wear it in town (like Rome or Rabat) with tennis shoes or my Jambus.  I can wear it to a nice dinner with my Jambus and either a scarf or a nice *but cheap* jewelry.  That one dress gets me through multiple days/nights of need.  It rolls up small, so no big deal.   My Jambu shoes are multi-purpose.  Closed toe, but a strap back.  They work as my sandals, my walk around the city, and my dinner shoes.  

 

Outside of that, I don't stress about what I'm going to look like in the dining room.  I always have clothes that adhere to the dress suggestions (one pair of pants that aren't my convertibles and that LBTD).  I"m not out to impress anyone,  but to enjoy my vacation.  And, I pack in a 22" bag (sometimes a roller, sometimes a carry/backpack).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What time of year is your odyssey?  If it's late fall or winter it's going to be a little more challenging....

 

One dressy lightweight item that I swear by are Eileen Fisher silk crepe pants in black. Dressy, sophisticated, takes up little room in one's suitcase and can be easily hand washed. Pair it with a couple of silk tanks or lightweight shirts (maybe one plain and one patterned) for a couple of different looks.

 

If your cruise follows your four days in Rome, you could look for a pair of dressier flats there to wear with. Rome is shoe heaven, lovely shoes in all price points. Also a good place to look for a scarf or two to give you some different looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We leave Rome on Oct 31. Thanks for the suggestions. I do take scarves and inexpensive bracelets and earrings on every trip to make me feel better about wearing the same clothes for up to two months🥴. I love the idea of picking up a pair of shoes in Rome! Will also try to find a LBD that travels well. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for any confusion about my member name. Cruise Critic opened my OysterLady account (rarely used). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with the above suggestions. I deduce you will be on the Koningsdam: HAL no longer does formal nights, they'll have 3 or so "Gala Evenings". No jeans or shorts, collared shirt for men, and any sharp casual for women. IOW the same as the other nights for the MDR. And the buffet as an alternate. 

 

My husband takes one white or pale off-white nylon trekking shirt that he wears only to dinner, with whatever pants (mostly the zip-off type) he has on, topped with a granpa cardigan. I have a four-sided tanktop and a light black cardie to hide the other side. Can wear with black skirt or leggings (esp. if we choose to go to the Lido). My mom, who lives in jeans, was freaked out about cruising back in 2009, that she would look inappropriate. I helped her buy a pair of black Moving Comfort slacks at REI to wear with her varied colored tees and a button-shirt as a topper -- and we did eat in the Lido, but formal was a bit more observed back then. She's been on four cruises and booked for two more with us! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with others the LBD or black pants give you multiple options. 

Bear in mind Rome at that time of year can be chilly, we were there for my birthday in early November and it was only 8c(47f) - 10c(50f) at best and if you are trekking in the mountains in Morocco ditto especially at night.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, I LOVE these sorts of packing challenges! Here's what I would probably bring from my wardrobe -- hopefully, it'll provide a jumping off place for your own ideas. I'd probably try to stick to 2-3 colors -- given what I own, that would probably be gray, black and an accent (green or purple), but you could also do black or navy and khaki easily.

 

* Jersey LBD which goes to mid-calf. 

* Long, loose linen trousers

* Plain-colored and well-fit hiking pants that can double as regular trousers in Rome

* Ponte knit ankle trousers (these are great for dressing up and down, and good for walking)

* 3-5 solid colored t-shirts, preferably longer length and tri-blend (dries faster and packs smaller than cotton, but feels the same)

* 1long sleeved t-shirts or base-layer

* plain black zip-up fleece

* Packable water and wind-proof jacket (I have a Marmot Precip that I adore, it's plain enough to look sort of fashionable and the pit-zips changed my life...)

* Fancy scarf/pashmina/shawl

* Light cotton scarf for covering hair/arms in churches

* a nice pair of walking flats

* a plain colored pair of hiking shoes (I'm partial to trail runners versus hiking boots, but it's all down to you and your ankles!)

* socks, underpants and bras as needed

* a bunch of costume Jewelry to dress things up and down as needed. 

* a really epically cool pair of sunglasses, and maybe a hat. 

 

You're going to have plenty of chances to pick up cool scarves, jewels and other accessories in Morocco to dress your plain stuff up on the cruise, so it's probably smarter and more fun to pack light and shop than it is to try to be completely self-sufficient. You could also add a light cardigan if you get cold easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 8:25 AM, SimplyMarvie said:

Oooh, I LOVE these sorts of packing challenges! Here's what I would probably bring from my wardrobe -- hopefully, it'll provide a jumping off place for your own ideas. I'd probably try to stick to 2-3 colors -- given what I own, that would probably be gray, black and an accent (green or purple), but you could also do black or navy and khaki easily.

 

* Jersey LBD which goes to mid-calf. 

* Long, loose linen trousers

* Plain-colored and well-fit hiking pants that can double as regular trousers in Rome

* Ponte knit ankle trousers (these are great for dressing up and down, and good for walking)

* 3-5 solid colored t-shirts, preferably longer length and tri-blend (dries faster and packs smaller than cotton, but feels the same)

* 1long sleeved t-shirts or base-layer

* plain black zip-up fleece

* Packable water and wind-proof jacket (I have a Marmot Precip that I adore, it's plain enough to look sort of fashionable and the pit-zips changed my life...)

* Fancy scarf/pashmina/shawl

* Light cotton scarf for covering hair/arms in churches

* a nice pair of walking flats

* a plain colored pair of hiking shoes (I'm partial to trail runners versus hiking boots, but it's all down to you and your ankles!)

* socks, underpants and bras as needed

* a bunch of costume Jewelry to dress things up and down as needed. 

* a really epically cool pair of sunglasses, and maybe a hat. 

 

You're going to have plenty of chances to pick up cool scarves, jewels and other accessories in Morocco to dress your plain stuff up on the cruise, so it's probably smarter and more fun to pack light and shop than it is to try to be completely self-sufficient. You could also add a light cardigan if you get cold easily.

This looks a lot like what I would pack.  I use trail runners, too.  Two of my rain shells (somehow I've ended up with 5!!) are those Marmot Precip.  Instead of the fleece, I would take my Patagonia down "sweater" (it's really a very light jacket).  It layers quite well under my Precip, and it's is very packable.   ALWAYS great-looking sunglasses (I have a stable of probably 10 to choose from, thanks to a friend who works at Oakley) and a hat (from a cool Panama to my REI guide hat, depending on what I'm doing).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2019 at 11:06 AM, Yokeko said:

month of travel in Morocco, four days in Rome and a 13-day cruise.... with only a small roll-on bag

 

I would definitely add 1 or 2 dresses in a wash-and-wear type fabric.  Check out the Columbia PFG, Athleta and similar.  You can find basic black or other solid color tee shirt style dresses like Slidergirl mentioned as well as prints.  A basic black one can be dressed up with a simple scarf but can also be comfortable for touring Rome in warm weather.  I'm not sure what your itinerary is for the month in Morocco but you could probably find occasion to wear a dress occasionally...some of the styles look  nice dressed up for dinner with a pair of sandals but also look cute and sporty when paired with sneakers during the day. 

A pair of wide leg jersey knit pants, kind of like a palazzo pant style, would be good too.  There are jersey knits that you can wad in a ball and they don't wrinkle.  These could be dressed up for a cruise but can also be breezy and cool during the day while sightseeing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I need to update my trail runners to waterproof trail runners (Salomon XA Comps in my future!) after slipping and falling into a creek TWICE on my camping trip this week!!!!!   All I can say is that my pants were quick dry...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Owning my HaHa -- just because I've been there/done that.

 

New Zealand where they neglected to warn us that our fly-in-hike-out (non-cruise) excursion required wading across a rocky fast-moving creek. We took off our socks, put on our shoes, waded across and put the socks back on. My DH's LLBean oxfords were never the same!

 

Then in Costa Rica we were touring a coffee plantation when the sky opened! The choice was hop on an already wet ox-drawn cart or walk to the visitor building. We opted to walk. I don't know if we would have chosen differently if we'd realized that the "puddles" were actually half-way to knee height! At least the water was warm.

 

Subsequently I gave up on Goretex raincoats (they just don't work in misty tropical showers) but bought Goretex-lined cross-trainers that have held up in varied climates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Everyone, for your wonderful suggestions and advice! We travel independently about 5-6 months a year and know how to pack, but adding a cruise to the mix seemed to complicate this. Most often, we concentrate on washable light layers,

 with a Goretex coat, down sweater or vest and three pairs of shoes. I leave jewelry at home, so will need to pick up some fun bling in Morocco or Rome! Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NOTE to SHOPPERS:  Garnet Hill has a sale on some Eileen Fisher clothes right now.  I ended up  buying another black T-shirt dress.   And, Jambu has some of their shoes on sale.  I bought pair of vegan booties - I wouldn't take them on a trip, but they are good for work.  

 

Yokeko - you'll find lots of fun bling wherever you go!  Honestly, I wouldn't pack any differently just because you've added in a cruise.  It's not the big dressy, formal, affairs like it was back in the 90s.  You can pack and dress as you need to for your entire travels, not just a brief jaunt on a ship.  Have a GREAT TIME!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Owning my HaHa -- just because I've been there/done that.

 

New Zealand where they neglected to warn us that our fly-in-hike-out (non-cruise) excursion required wading across a rocky fast-moving creek. We took off our socks, put on our shoes, waded across and put the socks back on. My DH's LLBean oxfords were never the same!

 

Then in Costa Rica we were touring a coffee plantation when the sky opened! The choice was hop on an already wet ox-drawn cart or walk to the visitor building. We opted to walk. I don't know if we would have chosen differently if we'd realized that the "puddles" were actually half-way to knee height! At least the water was warm.

 

Subsequently I gave up on Goretex raincoats (they just don't work in misty tropical showers) but bought Goretex-lined cross-trainers that have held up in varied climates.

I think it's sign that I'm getting old.  I used to be pretty darn nimble, but I'm no longer like a Weeble (a kid's toy - "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down").  The hike we did normally doesn't have much water in the creek at this time of year, sometimes even dry.  With the late summer and heavy snowfall this winter/spring, it still had maybe a foot in it.  Some of the rocks we would use before were under water.  I knew I was "going down", so I fell "gracefully."  Only a massive bruise on one of my shins and soaked shoes and wet pants as a reward...  Nothing like having to get up in the middle of the night to visit the latrine and the temperature is in the low 40s/high 30s and your shoes are cold and wet... 

 

I've been home 24 hours now - have the shoes in the sun and they are almost dry - 48 hours later!!  

Edited by slidergirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I've been home 24 hours now - have the shoes in the sun and they are almost dry - 48 hours later!!  

It's amazing how much water shoes can hold.

 

I feel your fall. I didn't fall in either of the wet experiences above, but I have fallen HARD on hard surfaces on two occasions in 1-2 years. Gotta stop leading with my chin! It's a wonder I didn't break a veneer or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 9:21 PM, Yokeko said:

...We travel independently about 5-6 months a year and know how to pack, but adding a cruise to the mix seemed to complicate this. Most often, we concentrate on washable light layers, with a Goretex coat, down sweater or vest and three pairs of shoes. I leave jewelry at home, so will need to pick up some fun bling in Morocco or Rome!

Ah, I see, we were preachin' to the choir. 

 

As I said in post #6, it's not that difficult. If there's room in the CARRYON suitcase, I will put in a Guayabera shirt for dr'spin, otherwise just a pale-colored hiking shirt like an AirStrip from ExOfficio. With a cardigan over it, you can't even tell that it is vented! He doesn't take special trousers or even shoes, if it's going to be a Gala night I will suggest he wear a dark pair of zip-off nylon pants that day (because changing more than his shirt for dinner does NOT happen). 

 

Don't overlook the ship itself as a place to pick up cheap bling. There are pricey jewelry shops but they pretty much always have specials on costume jewelry and accessories in the "ship" store, synchronized with the Gala Nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 11:21 PM, Yokeko said:

Thanks, Everyone, for your wonderful suggestions and advice! We travel independently about 5-6 months a year and know how to pack, but adding a cruise to the mix seemed to complicate this. Most often, we concentrate on washable light layers,

 with a Goretex coat, down sweater or vest and three pairs of shoes. I leave jewelry at home, so will need to pick up some fun bling in Morocco or Rome! Thanks again!

We travel similarly and regularly mix cruises, independent land trips and tours on the same trip.  I pack clothes that will work in all situations...much easier now that HAL no longer does formal nights.  I don’t travel with expensive jewelry but do carry a couple of cheap pieces to dress things up as needed - we usually have a cruise at the beginning (and end) of our travels to get us to where we are going so I need to take it instead of buying along the way.  I carry a dress that takes very little luggage space and will look ok on gala night and also work for a day of city touring.  For shoes, I usually take 3 pair - Olukai sandals that are comfortable enough for miles of walking/hiking and look nice enough for gala night, short hikers that are used as workout shoes and like sneakers, a pair of flip flops. Yeah, if I packed for only one type of trip my clothes would be different, but I am willing to make the sacrifice of not looking as good as I could to be able to take those 4-6 month trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wayfairers said:

Yeah, if I packed for only one type of trip my clothes would be different, but I am willing to make the sacrifice of not looking as good as I could to be able to take those 4-6 month trips.

 

I can only dream of that day. For me it's stretching the goodwill of the powers that be at my workplace to be gone for even 3 weeks...

 

It's a challenge I'd be willing to tackle for the opportunity. :classic_cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

I can only dream of that day. For me it's stretching the goodwill of the powers that be at my workplace to be gone for even 3 weeks...

 

It's a challenge I'd be willing to tackle for the opportunity. :classic_cool:

Preaching to the Choir...

 

I get 80 hours of PTO a year right now.  That is not just vacation time - if I'm sick and I have to take a day off, it's either use a PTO day or do a day without pay.  For me - there wouldn't be any goodwill to try to suck up to - I'd be out of a job!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...