Jump to content

Hotels in Southampton


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Presto2 said:

PS A vote for the Holiday Inn - love it and executive rooms with a sea view are brilliant

Hi,that's exactly what we're doing on the 3rd Sept.£150 inc breakfast.Premier Inn and even the Ibis were dearer,believe it or not.The pictures I've seen of ships parked up opposite seem so close.Cheers,Brian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Personally, I wouldn't fancy the Jury's Inn as it is located in the middle of a very busy road system and doesn't have any on-site parking.

We don't drive to Southampton so not an issue for us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Hi,that's exactly what we're doing on the 3rd Sept.£150 inc breakfast.Premier Inn and even the Ibis were dearer,believe it or not.The pictures I've seen of ships parked up opposite seem so close.Cheers,Brian.

 

Check which room they have given you. Some face the terminal where Celebrity and RCI dock(they are really close) and the others face towards the Ocean Terminal and where the likes of Britannia tend to dock (ie more out to sea).

We have always had a good stay there and you are right by Mayflower Park so can go outside to wave the ships off as they leave. Love it as the excitement builds up before we sail :-)

 

Just another tip - if you want to sit on the bed and watch the ships coming and going and the ferries then get one with the bed on the left as you walk in to the room. If it is the other way around you don't face the water --- if that makes sense ;-)

Edited by Presto2
Link to post
Share on other sites

We now use the Southampton Harbour Hotel. Excellent hotel with superb staff. Great hotel if you want to treat yourself. They offer a stay and park deal which includes transfers by Mercedes. Very close to many restaurants and pubs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Presto2 said:

 

Check which room they have given you. Some face the terminal where Celebrity and RCI dock(they are really close) and the others face towards the Ocean Terminal and where the likes of Britannia tend to dock (ie more out to sea).

We have always had a good stay there and you are right by Mayflower Park so can go outside to wave the ships off as they leave. Love it as the excitement builds up before we sail 🙂

 

Just another tip - if you want to sit on the bed and watch the ships coming and going and the ferries then get one with the bed on the left as you walk in to the room. If it is the other way around you don't face the water --- if that makes sense 😉

Cheers,we're sailing Marella so it is the closest terminal.I didn't know there were 2 harbour views,we'll try and get the right one,cheers,Brian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Cheers,we're sailing Marella so it is the closest terminal.I didn't know there were 2 harbour views,we'll try and get the right one,cheers,Brian.

 

Which terminal do you go from? Do you know yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, brian1 said:

I think it's called City terminal,about 300 yards from hotel.

 

As grapau27 has said that is right next to the terminal. We once got a taxi to the terminal not realising that it was only about 100 yards from the hotel !!! If you want to see your ship then tell them which terminal you want to face. It will be right infront of you when you wake up ! We usually face the other way and it is great to wake up at about 5.30am to watch your ship dock (and then go back to sleep !) Ha ha. Nice hotel and good choice :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Holiday Inn near the water is good, stayed there a couple of nights a couple of years ago.  But all the hotels chains really beef up their prices in Southampton, they have a captive audience, like no 29 pound Premier Inns there, more like 129 GBP.

Edited by NSWP
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Holiday Inn near the water is good, stayed there a couple of nights a couple of years ago.  But all the hotels chains really beef up their prices in Southampton, they have a captive audience, like no 29 pound Premier Inns there, more like 129 GBP.

Unfortunately it us supply and demand, but if you book early you can get rooms at a low price. For Premier Inn, City Centre, we have paid only £35.50 for one night next June.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Holiday Inn near the water is good, stayed there a couple of nights a couple of years ago.  But all the hotels chains really beef up their prices in Southampton, they have a captive audience, like no 29 pound Premier Inns there, more like 129 GBP.

We have had Southampton Travelodge for £29 and I think Premier(Cumberland Place) was £29 when it first opened.It depends on how many ships are in and as OP said if you book early you often get a cheaper price.The Ibis Budget is only £30 for our next cruise.No where as nice as The Holiday Inn but fine for just one night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Palaceman said:

Unfortunately it us supply and demand, but if you book early you can get rooms at a low price. For Premier Inn, City Centre, we have paid only £35.50 for one night next June.

We need to book our cruises early so always book a hotel (Premier or Holiday inn express) when they become available, about 12 months out, we book a flexible deal and keep an eye out for any special offers, and then transfer to the fixed price when we think its at its cheapest..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this thread.  I just realised that I had not sorted out accommodation for next June - and I know how prices go up the night before a cruise.  

 

Grand Harbour was full and I glanced at Holiday Inn, but got a Premier Inn at half the price, I do have a “just want a clean bed for the night” mentality with hotels.  We will stay at the City Centre it was the best price and they are apparently only 15 minutes walking distance apart.  Interestingly PI website market the Eastleigh location as “start off a cruise” location.  Had I not had the info from this thread I might have booked there.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Thanks for this thread.  I just realised that I had not sorted out accommodation for next June - and I know how prices go up the night before a cruise.  

 

Grand Harbour was full and I glanced at Holiday Inn, but got a Premier Inn at half the price, I do have a “just want a clean bed for the night” mentality with hotels.  We will stay at the City Centre it was the best price and they are apparently only 15 minutes walking distance apart.  Interestingly PI website market the Eastleigh location as “start off a cruise” location.  Had I not had the info from this thread I might have booked there.  

 

 

We like the City Centre hotel as you can park at the hotel itself, so loading and unloading luggage is easy. It is only a 10 to 15 minute walk to the town centre.

Edited by wowzz
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 3:49 PM, Palaceman said:

Unfortunately it us supply and demand, but if you book early you can get rooms at a low price. For Premier Inn, City Centre, we have paid only £35.50 for one night next June.

Thanks, we often use PI's when we visit UK. Next year post Arcadia cruises we have already booked and paid for a couple of PI's @ 35 quid a night.   We take the Meal deal too, breakfast and dinner with it, not gourmet cuisine but decent enough. A good package.  Over the years we have stayed in Premier Inns in England, Scotland and Wales, all good, some better than others.  We stay in the odd pub as well.

Edited by NSWP
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dazlight said:

As the cruise is a Monday we will go down Sunday morning spend the afternoon / evening sight seeing and a meal then leave early in the morning Andy. 

 

Or or any other places worth visiting ?

Salisbury, Winchester, New Forest, all places worth visiting not too far away. 

Just be mindful of traffic, but none of these places should take more than an hour, even at peak times.

Just be mindful that when it goes wrong, it can go horribly wrong down here, as others have encountered.

Andy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have decided to travel down the night before (Sunday) and booked the Premier Inn at Eastleigh.  Normally travel down on the day as only 2.5 hours journey, but changed plans due to roadworks and also Southampton Boat Show on the week we sail, one reason why we decided on Eastleigh as opposed to city centre

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We stay at Holiday Inn Express just off M271 basic but clean and free buffet breakfast and walk across to the pub for meal in the evening then short drive too terminals.

We also use this or the Premier Inn airport, depending on best offers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...