Hotels in Southampton

Ilovemygarden

On 9/1/2019 at 6:57 PM, Sunbedsue said:

We have decided to travel down the night before (Sunday) and booked the Premier Inn at Eastleigh.  Normally travel down on the day as only 2.5 hours journey, but changed plans due to roadworks and also Southampton Boat Show on the week we sail, one reason why we decided on Eastleigh as opposed to city centre

Given the total price of your cruise, I like your decision-making.  Your vacation is now one day longer.  That sounds good to me.  

On 9/1/2019 at 5:57 PM, Sunbedsue said:

We have decided to travel down the night before (Sunday) and booked the Premier Inn at Eastleigh.  Normally travel down on the day as only 2.5 hours journey, but changed plans due to roadworks and also Southampton Boat Show on the week we sail, one reason why we decided on Eastleigh as opposed to city centre

Mmmmm  The Boat Show in Southampton on embarkation day.  I would allow oodles of time to get from the hotel to the port, but I assume that is why you are going down early.  May be an occasion I would have splashed out on The Holiday Inn, right by the port.  We have got stuck for quite a while in traffic twice (this year and last) due to road works going from the motorway into Southampton, so worth checking if that is still on as well, even if no events in the city.

For anyone else reading this thread I give another vote for The Holiday Inn as a more upmarket Hotel as some great views from the rooms - even docks look great in the dark.  There parking rates are pretty good as well.

For economy we have previously booked the Travelodge Central which is basically over the back of High Street and is very handy for the station and cruise terminals.  It is a basic hotel but has all you need and is fairly new with very comfortable 5 foot beds and quiet rooms at the back (doubt it is that noisy at the front either in that location).  We have just booked it for Monday 23rd March next year and got a room for £29.99 non cancellable on a room only basis.  Breakfast not that good, but we can pop to Wetherspoon's in High Street if we want a full breakfast or may just buy something light to eat in the room as we will be eating quite a bit on the cruise 🙂

All hotels better priced if book well in advance of course and lots of restaurants with different price ranges if in central Southampton.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

Day before for us. Extra days holiday. Always set off with the intention to go to the Isle of Wight still not got there in over 30 years. In the old days it was usually a trip to Naval dockyards at Portsmout on the day before the cruise.  Never tire of that place. If we drive we may also stay over about 20 miles or so north of Soton to save £. Used to stay at Posthouse Eastleigh and would often see football teams there (Man U & Everton to name 2). Wouldn’t catch Premier teams in a hotel that we could afford these days. 

...and oh, the excitement of the first child to spot the buff funnel. 

Edited by Ranchi

Just back last weekend from a short cruise out of Southampton. 2 issues, I'll take back what I said about Jurys, the rooms are OK but service is bordering on atrocious. 

Also don't always bank on dock gate 8 next to the Holiday Inn being open. Even though the boat show hadn't started it was closed last weekend and all passengers had to enter by dock gate 10.

H6LB3P3WQLWJdsjXL3jrYg.jpg

That's Jury's Inn idea of an ice bucket! Umpteen tables littered with empty bottles, glasses and dirty plates, this was just 1.

The bar was not busy, nobody waiting at the bar, but the staff just couldn't care.

xeF%yDwZQFCB5phAkBxUPg.jpg

Edited by peteukmcr
  • Thanks 1