Hanoi recommendation?

chelseabelsea

Hello, fellow O fans,

My husband and I  have a Nautical cruise next year that stops at Ha Long, serving as the gateway to Hanoi. For those of you that have visited this area with Oceania, is there a specific tour your recommend? Any and all advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, willmschen said:

We had an overnight in Lalong Bay two years ago. The first day we did the tour to Hanoi. The city and countryside were interesting, but it was about four hours each way. 

The second day we did the Halong Bay boat tour. Beautiful place. 

We had an over nite also and they had a ships tour that stayed over in Hanoi.  It was wonderful.  Got there in the afternoon and had dinner in a nice restaurant. Spent the whole next day seeing all of Hanoi before returning to ship.  Really the best way to go. 

The first time we were on an O cruise, we had a private overnight tour to Hanoi....fascinating. Stayed in a hotel in Old Town....wonderful food.

2 years ago, we were on a Seabourn cruise but the ship did not overnight in Halong. So, we took a ship's tour for a day trip to Hanoi. We usually don't take ship's tour but this one was exceptional. 6 of us in a very large, modern touring van. Fascinating countryside and our guide provided great commentary. AND we had a fabulous lunch at a local restaurant...the Lime Tree I think. Totally worthwhile.

We did the city tour of Hanoi with lunch.  It stops at several places including what is left of the Hanoi Hilton prison.  Yes it is a long bus ride to Hanoi, but you go thru all kinds of small towns and landscapes.  I would definitely recommend going to Hanoi as opposed to just touring Ha Long bay.  

Have fun

For what it's worth, the drive from Ha Long to Hanoi is now about 90 minutes compared to the ~ 3 hours it used to take.  This is due to the opening of a new highway between the 2 cities about 1 year ago.