Cruise Critic Community
h-sar

Ernesto burger

For those of you who have experienced it, will the Ernesto burger be worth the $5 up charge on the Sky for my next cruise?  I will definitely try it at least once, but just wondering how much significantly better it is than the regular ‘hot off the grill’ burgers on the other ships? 

It was offered in the MDR on the Royal back in April, so I got it there.  Was at dinner, rather than lunch. I liked it, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

It looks good, but not for any of my money when there's perfectly good food elsewhere. We tend to bypass all of the extra charge items.

27 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It looks good, but not for any of my money when there's perfectly good food elsewhere. We tend to bypass all of the extra charge items.

Yeah, I bypass extra cost items too. I was happy to try this burger in the MDR, where it didn't cost me a thing.

1 hour ago, h-sar said:

For those of you who have experienced it, will the Ernesto burger be worth the $5 up charge on the Sky for my next cruise?  I will definitely try it at least once, but just wondering how much significantly better it is than the regular ‘hot off the grill’ burgers on the other ships? 

No. I tried it in the pay venue and at the burger place near the pool.

I would not pay again.  I just have them make me a fresh double cheeseburger.

The only burger that I couldn't eat on a Princess ship was a veggie burger. 

I tried it once just to see what it was like & even smothered in ketchup & condiments it's was terrible. It was probably the only time I even threw away food on a ship.

Avoid them at all costs. :classic_laugh:

I’m considering buying it on the Sky with a beer for $8 but might try it first in the MDR if none of the other entrees are appealing.

3 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I’m considering buying it on the Sky with a beer for $8 but might try it first in the MDR if none of the other entrees are appealing.

Try Alfredo's for lunch. It's free & it's great. The food is made to order.

The portions are small so order 2 of something initially or you'll have a long wait. 

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Try Alfredo's for lunch. It's free & it's great. The food is made to order.

The portions are small so order 2 of something initially or you'll have a long wait. 

Alfredo’s Pizzeria with the multi course meal is one of our favorite dining options but an appetizer & pizza are enough for me.  On embarkation day we either go there or to the MDR lunch instead of to the busy buffet.

4 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Alfredo’s Pizzeria with the multi course meal is one of our favorite dining options but an appetizer & pizza are enough for me.  On embarkation day we either go there or to the MDR lunch instead of to the busy buffet.

I would like to do both but my stomach says no. :classic_rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Mine too but since Alfredo’s is available throughout the cruise we usually go to the MDR by quickly boarding the ship before it closes at 1:30. 

5 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We start off at Alfredo’s on embarkation day and then slowly meander through the buffet for a look see 😁

Just now, h-sar said:

We start off at Alfredo’s on embarkation day and then slowly meander through the buffet for a look see 😁

We always go there during a B2B turnaround day. Boarding the ship first, we can eat earlier than most people & then get to the pool while others are at the buffet, unpacking & going to muster.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I find that the burgers, hot off the grill, are way better than the ones occasionally sitting in the buffet or even in the MDR. It’s the best way to get them off the grill and into your mouth with the least amount of cooling time in between 😀

While I’m very excited for the tacos that will be part of the free Salty Dog on Sky, is anyone else concerned that the new additions to the menu, many of which are more complex than the old items, will result in longer lines and more time needed for orders? Added to this is that the Ocean Medallion will allow people to order straight from their chairs. I’m thinking all of this will result in no longer being able to get a quick plate of fries or a hot dog snack after a port day.

I tried one on the Regal last spring, and got the burger and beer special - figuring it was a way to get a cheaper beer. As I recall, it was an odd experience. I think that the burger was brought to me at a table near the venue, but I had to go get the beer myself.  Then the bookkeeping on the bill was odd. They charged full price for the beer, but only a little for the burger instead of the burger price plus cheap beer.   The total came out the same.

In spite of the logistics being a bit odd, I would say that the burger was fantastic.  - It is all a matter of preference, but I felt it was good enough that I stopped by and complimented the "chef" on his work.  I would do it again once or twice - for the cheap beer, of course!

I also got the burger and beer special by the pool on our last Princess cruise.  What impressed me most most was the time it took to get the burger and the delivery.  It took over half an hour to get the burger.  It was delivered by a server wandering around the pool deck with my burger asking pretty much everybody but the guy waving at him if this was their burger.

Just order a cheeseburger.  Cheers

Here is what I wrote about the Ernesto Burger, back in April, while on Grand Princess.1408532389_SDGcopy.thumb.jpg.177d53526b71ac252b228fdd158014f5.jpg

Hubby ordered the Ernesto Burger & beer combo last year on the Caribbean Princess.  He enjoyed it, but doesn't necessarily think he'd do it again...it was worth trying once....agree a good deal for the beer, though.  

I'm personally happy with an old fashioned cheeseburger.

2 hours ago, Gimer said:

Here is what I wrote about the Ernesto Burger, back in April, while on Grand Princess.1408532389_SDGcopy.thumb.jpg.177d53526b71ac252b228fdd158014f5.jpg

Got the burger twice for my wife on our 07/15 Grand cruise, and never got charged for either. Was a GREAT deal.

My favorite is the Triple Smoke.  I waited until too late on the last night to order the Ernesto- it takes 13 minutes to make- so I got another Triple Smoke.  Hope to try one in September! And eat a few more Triple Smokes!

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I tried it once just to see what it was like & even smothered in ketchup & condiments it's was terrible. It was probably the only time I even threw away food on a ship.

100% agree!!

One bite...trash can.

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

4 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

100% agree!!

One bite...trash can.

My wife often enjoys Morningstar veggie burgers at home but describes the Princess version of a veggie burger as having the consistency of fried mashed potatoes & would never order another one of them.

I second that.  The Triple Smoke Burger is made with Smoked Bacon Jam, a slice of Smoked Gouda Cheese and Caramelized BBQ Onion Sauce.   Also a great burger.... and NO charge at that.    

3 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Got the burger twice for my wife on our 07/15 Grand cruise, and never got charged for either. Was a GREAT deal.

Ha! Consistently inconsistent.