Crete, Mykonos, Santorini getting on island

JsJourneys

Hello, looking at Greek Islands May or Sep or Oct 2020.  

1) Any recommendation for these months on weather or wind?

2) We were unable to tender into Mykonos due to wind/waves last time.  Any comments on small vs larger ship and ability to tender into both Mykonos and Santorini?  Don’t want to miss again.

3) Mykonos and Santorini seem like the obvious, but are there other islands recommended instead (depending on ship)?

4) Need to visit Knossos on Crete.  Comments on taking shore excursion from Agios Nikolos or Heraklion or Souda Bay/Chania (of course, depending on ship)?  Travel time, etc?  Looks like either docking or tendering at Crete (depending on port).

5) I was focusing on Windstar or Azamara or Viking.   Now I’m looking at the new Celebrity Edge.  Obviously, small vs large.  Any difference in tendering or getting into port on small vs large?  

6) Your experiences on Azamara and cabin size, etc?

Thanks a lot!  Appreciate your insights!

Edited by JsJourneys

5 hours ago, JsJourneys said:

Hello, looking at Greek Islands May or Sep or Oct 2020.  

1) Any recommendation for these months on weather or wind?  If you are concerned about winds, it's the Meltemi winds that tend to affect Mykonos from mid-May through mid-September (think hurricane season). So if you were to go in early May or in October it would be better. I'd vote for late September or early October if you are wanting to visit beaches; the water will probably still be fairly warm from the summer.

2) We were unable to tender into Mykonos due to wind/waves last time.  Any comments on small vs larger ship and ability to tender into both Mykonos and Santorini?  Don’t want to miss again.  See above. It's the Meltemi winds that likely affected your ability to get to Mykonos. They don't seem to affect Santorini as much.

3) Mykonos and Santorini seem like the obvious, but are there other islands recommended instead (depending on ship)?  Mykonos and Santorini are iconic, but also very crowded in summer. Another good reason to go a bit more off season. If you want to experience a very different Greek island, Corfu is nice. 

4) Need to visit Knossos on Crete.  Comments on taking shore excursion from Agios Nikolos or Heraklion or Souda Bay/Chania (of course, depending on ship)?  Travel time, etc?  Looks like either docking or tendering at Crete (depending on port).  Knossos is best done from Iraklion, it's a very short drive from the port there (maybe 20 minutes). From the other ports you list, it would be a much, much longer drive. (Have a look at a map of Crete and you'll see it's a large island.)

5) I was focusing on Windstar or Azamara or Viking.   Now I’m looking at the new Celebrity Edge.  Obviously, small vs large.  Any difference in tendering or getting into port on small vs large?  I always prefer smaller ships. If tendering on a larger ship it can sometimes take quite a while before you can get ashore unless you have status with the line or are otherwise able to get early tickets (e.g., suite passengers).

6) Your experiences on Azamara and cabin size, etc?  Cabins on Azamara ARE smallish, but you will be in the Med -- how much time will you be spending in your cabin?

Thanks a lot!  Appreciate your insights!

See my thoughts above, in green.

Cruisemom42, THANK YOU for such a thorough and helpful response.  Your comments on each topic are just what I needed and are great insights!  Info on the wind, ports, tendering, ships, Crete...so good!  Thanks a million!

• Thanks 1