Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
blhlls

Questions re reservation name and drinks

We are going on Alaska tripin early September.  I have a couple of questions.  First, I made the reservation using my brothers nickname rather than full first name (think Kenny instead of Kenneth). Is that a variance We need to sort out before the cruise?

My second question is about documentation of drinks package.  We reserved a cabin for my niece at a different time, and she is supposed to have a drinks package as a promotional item.  We reserved through a big box store, and she is under 21, if that matters.  I can't find any reference to her having the package in any of thedocumentation we received from the travel agent or on the HAL already booked portion of the website.  Should I be seeing it somewhere?

thankyou for any assistance.

18 minutes ago, blhlls said:

We are going on Alaska tripin early September.  I have a couple of questions.  First, I made the reservation using my brothers nickname rather than full first name (think Kenny instead of Kenneth). Is that a variance We need to sort out before the cruise?

My second question is about documentation of drinks package.  We reserved a cabin for my niece at a different time, and she is supposed to have a drinks package as a promotional item.  We reserved through a big box store, and she is under 21, if that matters.  I can't find any reference to her having the package in any of thedocumentation we received from the travel agent or on the HAL already booked portion of the website.  Should I be seeing it somewhere?

thankyou for any assistance.

Hi, 

The  booking name should be the same name as appears in the passport.  You can call HAL any can they can sort that out for you.  No idea regarding drinks package.

Did you give her birthdate when booking?  If so, the drink package will most likely be the Quench Package that allows soft drinks, coffee, designer water, smoothies, and mock-tails.  HAL does not serve alcohol to anyone under 21 as far as I know.  If the package is Signature Beverage Package which includes all the drinks in the Quench Package as well as alcoholic drinks and beer, I doubt HAL would honor that deal because it involves serving alcohol to a minor.

Since HAL will not discuss any details about her reservation with you, go back to the agency for confirmation.  I hope you saved the initial confirmation with details of any freebies.  Without it, your niece may be out of luck.

As for the name on a reservation, it must match the name on the passport.  If it doesn't, that passenger could be denied boarding.  I'd get that corrected immediately, either with the agency that you booked with or with HAL if you booked through Seattle.

Have a lovely cruise.  Alaska is awe-inspiring.

Thank you both.  I will go ahead and call to take care of both now.

My DW's name is Theresa which is on her passport.  Many years ago, she booked a cruise using Terry, and the cruise line accepted it (Cunard when it was not part of Carnival).  When we arrived in Russia, she had a horrible time clearing Russian immigration in St.Petersburg.   It took a special room and about 45 minutes to convince a very stern immigration agent that Terry is a nickname.   Cunard, surprisingly, had no problem with the discrepancy.    But just to make sure there's no issues, make sure the booking name matches exactly the name on the passport.

I have taken your advice and called to make the correction.  I was leaning towards not bothering, but you all convinced me.  I think it would have nagged at me if I hadn't, so thank you for the push.

5 minutes ago, blhlls said:

I have taken your advice and called to make the correction.  I was leaning towards not bothering, but you all convinced me.  I think it would have nagged at me if I hadn't, so thank you for the push.

Did you ask about the beverage package?

the big box travel agent said the beverage package should show on the website, but couldn't tell me where.  I'll call HAL and see.  I'm not that worried about it, as she's underage and mostly drinks water anyway.  If we can't confirm it, paying for her occasional cappuccino won't break the bank.

3 minutes ago, blhlls said:

the big box travel agent said the beverage package should show on the website, but couldn't tell me where.  I'll call HAL and see.  I'm not that worried about it, as she's underage and mostly drinks water anyway.  If we can't confirm it, paying for her occasional cappuccino won't break the bank.

Hmmm... our onboard perks are listed on the confirmation we got from our TA for our HAL cruise.  It's toward the back of the papers, but it's there.  

Thank you.  I'll look again.  I found the onboard cash, is that where it was?

We had 2 beverage cards, gratuities ( from HAL promotion) and OBC from the BigBox for our last cruise.  We did not get a confirmation at all. When I called about that, the first one sent did not include the additional promotional items. When I called a few days later to ask for the promotion ( which had started the day I booked) I was told we had it. When they sent the new confirmation everything was listed. I believe it was on the second page. 

20 minutes ago, blhlls said:

I can't find it in the online reservation.  It may be there, I just can't find it.  It's on the actual paperwork confirmation my TA gave me from HAL.

I'm sorry, I'm not very organized here....I'll have to look for that paperwork.

Don't worry about it.  I appreciate your guidance and will call the travel agent again tomorrow and see if I can get a better answer.

56 minutes ago, blhlls said:

It won’t be on the HAL website as you used a TA.  Go to your confirmation that your TA sent you.  If they sent you the HAL confirmation, it will be on page two with notes.

ie. 1) SBP for passenger 1, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.  I didn't get a copy of the cruise line confirmation, so I'll ask for that.  It may answer the question.