Family Friendly Seafood or Tex Mex Near Port Everglades

dctravel

Coming down Friday for a Saturday cruise departure. Looking for either family friendly seafood (by which I mean entrees that are in the $20 range rather than $40+) or tex-mex. Does anyone have any recommendations? Water view would be a bonus, but not required.

Thanks!

dctravel

Carlos & Pepe's (Tex Mex) is located at 1302 SE 17th St., Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316.  Just a few blocks from Port Everglades (next to Embassy Suites) but no water view. 

Lots of restaurants, like Coconuts, on the inter-coastal waterway in Fort Lauderdale.

Dockside @ 15th Street Fisheries (downstairs) may fit your bill nicely. It’s on the water, not far at all from the hotels on 17th Street, and within your price range. The restaurant is pictured in the Southwest Airlines ads featuring Fort Lauderdale. You can feed the tarpon just outside the restaurant (always entertaining for kids).

https://www.15streetfisheries.com/menus ( use the menu in the upper left to select the downstairs/dockside menu).

2 hours ago, FOPMan said:

Dockside @ 15th Street Fisheries (downstairs) may fit your bill nicely. It’s on the water, not far at all from the hotels on 17th Street, and within your price range. The restaurant is pictured in the Southwest Airlines ads featuring Fort Lauderdale. You can feed the tarpon just outside the restaurant (always entertaining for kids).

https://www.15streetfisheries.com/menus ( use the menu in the upper left to select the downstairs/dockside menu).

And you get to watch them feed the extremely large tarpon that hang out by the dock!  That's fascinating to both kids and adults.  https://www.15streetfisheries.com/dockside

3 hours ago, dctravel said:

Good suggestions! I am going to check them all out. We are staying in Dania Beach, but happy to drive up to the 17th street area!

Why not just go to Quarterdeck on the Dania pier?  Either that or Tarks.

Edited by BNBR

15 minutes ago, dctravel said:

The reviews were mixed, but that would be easier. Any thoughts on Jimbo’s?

Quarterdeck has a respectable rating.  I've been there quite a few times.  It's not going to be the worlds best food, but the location is simply awesome and would make a pretty nice evening dinner.  Out on the water, at the beach - good way to jump in to vacation mentality.  Jimbo's is "just ok" - Quarterdeck is better.  But both are perfectly fine.  Tarks probably has the freshest/best seafood but won't have the ambiance unless you like the hole in the wall vibe and not on the water.  If you want "safe" as in a bit of that corporate quality (it's a small local chain with a lot of history in FLL), near you, best location... it's Quarterdeck.

Edited by BNBR

Carlos & Pepes  isn't TexMex or moderate but it is fantastic.  We don't have TexMex because, Florida.

El Camino and Roccos Tacos on Las Olas are less expensive.

I like Kellys on 17th Street for good, New England Seafood.  If you want to jump in an Uber, The Rustic Inn or Deweys both are fantastic for seafood.

If you want to eat oceanfront, I like Aruba which is also an Uber ride.

The fist place that comes to mind for Tex Mex is Tijuana Flats.  But that's counter service and definitely not on the water.  Although just about any Mexican food around that area is going to be fairly Tex-Mex.  La Bamba would probably fit the bill although they also skew pretty Spanish.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, FOPMan said:

may have to try that on the day before our cruise starts in December ... we ate at Southport Raw Bar in May and enjoyed the laid back 'tude ...

We will be either at 15th Street, the “new” Quarterdeck that replaced Cordova Road, or Quarterdeck Dania Beach for happy hour.

OP: given that you’re staying in Dania Beach, I’d vote for Qdeck Dania Beach. Its just a little less of a drive and I never mind a bit of a walk on the beach.

if you have kids, skip the key lime pie and go to Jaxon’s ice cream parlor.

• Like 1