New to Holland Ameria

debratiberi

We are new to HAL and this is our first with a handicapped cabin as my husband travels with a scooter.  Our cabin will be 11038 on the Koningsdam leaving on 10/31.  I cannot find any information on these staterooms.  How much room is there?  I'm  hoping there will be enough to maneuver around his scooter in the room, it's a pride are fairly compact.  

Can anyone help me?

Also any assistance with the ins and outs or cruising with HAL would be appreciated.  We were with Princess for many years.  Then we had to stop cruising for health and other reason.

Thank you.

First, welcome to CC.  Glad to have you.

According to the deck plans, you & your husband are in a handicapped cabin on the Sun Deck, the highest deck with passenger accommodations.  Since it is designated as "accessible", the scooter should fit.  If you want to see the deck plans for any HAL ship, simply go to the cruise line's website, click on "The Experience" at the top, then "Our Ships."  Scroll down to Koningsdam and click.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page that comes up for the deck plans.  You can also go to halfacts.com for photos of some of the interior spaces and cabins, which members have contributed.

My husband needed a wheelchair to embark/disembark the last few years of his life.  On our last cruise, we rented a wheelchair for the entire cruise.  Everyone was very kind and considerate.  You'll find the staff to be helpful, friendly and efficient----the best at sea, IMO.  HAL is similar to Princess.  You may notice more similarities than differences.  One major difference is that at the buffet, HAL staff will serve you.  It slows the line a little, but in the long run is more sanitary.

You should love the ship, although her Promenade is narrow and doesn't allow for deck chairs, which the other ships in the fleet have.  (Except for Pinnacle Class)  So glad you and your husband are able to cruise again.  As October approaches you may have additional questions.  Come back and ask.  So many members on the HAL board are willing to share experiences that may answer your questions.

• Like 1

Actually 11038 is "ambulatory accessible: shower only with small step, step into bathroom,

standard interior and exterior door size."

The 'key' for this type room is a solid star, not the universal wheelchair symbol. There are none of those on on the Sun deck (Deck 11). I doubt very much if this room has room for the scooter: it is the same size as all other balcony rooms on this level. Photos from one the same size on the sister ship Nieuw Statendam.

http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/11044-nieuw-statendam/

I do not see room for a scooter that would not block access and egress (i.e. it would be a safety hazard as well as in the way). Nor is there room to turn it around.

Fully accessible cabins on the Koningsdam are these: "Suites SA7094, A6150 & A6148, and
staterooms VA8147, VA8145, VA8134, VA8132, I-7108, I-7101, I-6131, I-6116, V5171, V5152,

I-5129, I-5112, V5057, V5055, V5054, V5052, VH4167, VH4146, VH4107, VH4096, C1134,

C1125, C1123, C1121 are fully accessible, roll-in shower only."

"For more information regarding accessibility features on our ships please visit the Accessible
Cruising section of our website." Here:

Accessibility

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, debratiberi said:

We are new to HAL and this is our first with a handicapped cabin as my husband travels with a scooter.  Our cabin will be 11038 on the Koningsdam leaving on 10/31.  I cannot find any information on these staterooms.  How much room is there?  I'm  hoping there will be enough to maneuver around his scooter in the room, it's a pride are fairly compact.  

Can anyone help me?

Also any assistance with the ins and outs or cruising with HAL would be appreciated.  We were with Princess for many years.  Then we had to stop cruising for health and other reason.

Thank you.

Hi Debra, hope you have come back to read my comments above. There is no private messaging on Cruise Critic, and I'm not sure if you are getting notifications. I hope you see this!

Welcome to cruise Critic.

Something else about your cabin.

Since you will not be able to move the scooter around the cabin, you will have to put it in the hallway and call the front desk for someone to to come and store the scooter for the night.  When you are ready to leave the cabin in the morning, you call them again to have it brought back to the cabin.

You may want to reconsider one of the other cabins mentioned above.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Actually 11038 is "ambulatory accessible: shower only with small step, step into bathroom,

standard interior and exterior door size."

The 'key' for this type room is a solid star, not the universal wheelchair symbol. There are none of those on on the Sun deck (Deck 11). I doubt very much if this room has room for the scooter: it is the same size as all other balcony rooms on this level. Photos from one the same size on the sister ship Nieuw Statendam.

http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/11044-nieuw-statendam/

I do not see room for a scooter that would not block access and egress (i.e. it would be a safety hazard as well as in the way). Nor is there room to turn it around.

Fully accessible cabins on the Koningsdam are these: "Suites SA7094, A6150 & A6148, and
staterooms VA8147, VA8145, VA8134, VA8132, I-7108, I-7101, I-6131, I-6116, V5171, V5152,

I-5129, I-5112, V5057, V5055, V5054, V5052, VH4167, VH4146, VH4107, VH4096, C1134,

C1125, C1123, C1121 are fully accessible, roll-in shower only."

"For more information regarding accessibility features on our ships please visit the Accessible
Cruising section of our website." Here:

Accessibility

Thanks Crystalspin,

So glad you referenced “accessible” we have been using the term wheelchair accessible where I live for over 20 years.