Cruise Critic Community
mafig

I promise to do my research, but can you get me started.....

It's been years since we've been on Norwegian.  We did some suites but then the Haven came along and the prices seemed so high.

However..... I just looked at some sailings on Breakaway and Escape and pricing is about the same as Royal Caribbean (which I am researching).  The thing is I'm now familiar with Royal's suite categories and their ships.  

Not so with Norwegian (anymore).

Can you tell me about the Breakaway  vs. Escape.  I'm seeing pricing that's acceptable to me for H5 and H7 on both of these ships. 

What's the difference between them? Are they sister ships?  H5 vs. H7?      They both get Haven access, right?

Sorry for being lazy.  The pricing I saw kind of caught me by surprise (and I saw a post on Celebrity's board from a long-time X cruiser who enjoyed NCL).  We always did......but we started chasing Elite and Diamond status on X and Royal.

Help me if you can.💗

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mafig said:

Are they sister ships?

Yes.  The "class" is the Breakaway Class, with the Escape being one of them.  Breakaway, Escape, Epic are Breakaway with Bliss, Joy and Encore (I assume) being Breakaway Plus.

Here's info on the Escape Haven, including which categories are "part" of the Haven.  The first line on the H6 description says "with access to The Haven"..

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/escape/staterooms/The-Haven

Edited by hallux

4 minutes ago, mafig said:

Can you tell me about the Breakaway  vs. Escape. 

Breakaway  = First Breakaway Class ship

Escape = First Breakaway Plus Class ship

Escape is longer, taller, wider, etc. The standard side balconies on Breakaway are very small but the same balconies on Escape are noticeably deeper. 

7 minutes ago, mafig said:

H5 vs. H7?      They both get Haven access, right?

H5 = located within the Haven complex, 1 large room (imagine a wider balcony stateroom).

H7 = located outside/below the haven complex, separate living room/bedroom (except for the wheelchair accessible stateroom which is 1 large room), rather small balcony, the H7 directly below the bridge has a partially enclosed balcony (deck 13 for Breakaway, deck 14 for Escape). 

Both have equal Haven access. 

Posted (edited)

I am sorry but I can’t give you a comparison between the two ships. However I sailed on the Escape last year in a Haven Courtyard Suite. The Haven staff was amazing as was the Haven dining room. I loved everything about the Escape especially the entertainment I arranged a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle in the District Brewhouse. NCL pulled out all stops. The ships officers were walking around bringing us beer samples and there were hot and cold food items passed around. I have cruised many times on 4 different lines but I fell in love with this ship and her crew. The Haven benefits were over the top.

Edited by bonniboo1

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

Yes.  The "class" is the Breakaway Class, with the Escape being one of them.  Breakaway, Escape, Epic are Breakaway with Bliss, Joy and Encore (I assume) being Breakaway Plus.

No, Epic is in a class by itself.

Breakaway and Getaway are the Breakaway Class.

Escape, Joy, Bliss, & Encore are the Breakaway Plus Class. 

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

No, Epic is in a class by itself.

Breakaway and Getaway are the Breakaway Class.

Escape, Joy, Bliss, & Encore are the Breakaway Plus Class. 

My mistake, thanks for the correction

Of the two categories (H7, H5) which do most people prefer.??

Do most prefer being in the Haven (H5)? or do they prefer the larger (?) H7.  

I remember reading about the Haven area sometimes being very noisy, especially when there are families on board.  True?  

Which ship gets better reviews?  

Thanks so much for the responses!

Just now, hallux said:

My mistake, thanks for the correction

If you're interested in the Epic design, I'd look at the cabins. They are a major dislike for some Pax; not for us.  My late DH and I actually liked the Bathroom disign since it gave the option of separating our morning abolutions.  

This is a French disign and very much a French undertaking. 

1 minute ago, All-ready2cruise said:

the Bathroom disign

I've sailed the Bliss in a Studio cabin, which employs a similar design if I recall.  The head and shower are split on one end of the cabin (split by the connecting door), with the sink along one long wall.  I realize it's not the exact same experience, but those cabins are actually nicely laid out compared to RCI's Studio cabins (on the ships where they have them).

If I had to choose between the two Havens, I would choose the Escape in a heartbeat -- no hesitation. They fixed the "mistakes" made on the Getaway and Breakaway Havens on the Escape.

The biggest difference is that the restaurant is larger on the Escape with a lot more windows for views. There is also an outdoor eating area, which can be great for breakfast and lunch.

Both Havens are very nice. We always stay in an H4 and I love the convenience of being right in the Haven. It's nice to have the concierge staff say hello to you as you walk by (and it's nice to get a drink on the way to your cabin). We've never had an issue with noise.

Whatever you choose, you should have a nice trip!

Thanks, Brookie.  It looks like Escape has the best pricing, too!