Some friendly advice please

scpirate

I'm looking at doing a 14 day southern Caribbean on the Norwegian jade.ive never sailed Norwegian just celebrity,msc and carnival.i am fine with the itiniary but will the ship be good for a first timer or should I keep looking.all we need is decent food some nice shows and entertainment in the evening and we are good .it's just the wife and I late 50's-early 60's.no kids non drinkers might drop a twenty or two in the slots.any advice would be appreciated .thanks.

We are also in our 50’s-60’s. We have sailed the Spirit, Dawn and Gem. Love the smaller ships. Much more personable service, no show reservations required and never has felt crowded. The 14 night cruise usually have little to no children which makes us happy. You will enjoy this cruise I am sure.

• Like 1

You will be happy with any of the Jewel Class ships if decent food and good service is what you are looking for. Though we are sailing on a mega ship (not our first) in two months we prefer the smaller ships like the Jewel class one better. As has been mentioned more personalized service for starters. I think you will be fine. 

• Like 1

While I've never done the Jade, I've done the Gem and Jewel, and agree with the other 2 posters about the Jewel class ships.  They are big enough to have a lot to keep you entertained, but they don't feel as crowded as the 'Away classes.  My biggest complaint about the newer ships is the lack of Spinnaker Lounge, which is one of our favorite hang out spots.  

• Like 1

We're in our mid-60's & have been cruising with NCL for over 15 years.  We started on the Dawn then the Spirit then "graduated" to the Jewel-class ships when they came online.  We've been sailing on the 'Away class ships as of late but we still LOVE the Gem, Jade & other Jewel-class ships and we certainly don't let that hold us back from sailing on them when the price & itineraries are right!

You're NOT going to get the "Broadway-type" shows you get on the newer "Away class ships but you'll have quality entertainment every night, IMHO.  In particular we REALLY enjoy the "game shows" being done in the Spinnaker Lounge (Deck 13?) rather than the Atrium on the 'Away class ships.  Ditto the comedy shows; they're in Spinnaker also.  If you like guitar music, look up "Leo" if he's still playing aboard the Gem.  He's amazing!!  We'd sail on the Gem simply to listen to his music again!!

You won't have as many specialty restaurants as you do aboard the "Away classes but the ones aboard the Gem (Cagneys, Moderno, LeBistro, LaCucina, etc) are quite good.  HINT: if you breakfast late (after 10AM) & have to go to the Garden Cafe they open up LaCucina for breakfast seating with coffee & tea also available.  Say hello to Dave Heenan, the comedian (if he's still aboard) as he usually breakfasts there also!

Hope you have a great cruise!!

I've been on the Jade twice and love it. I don't care for the big ship stuff (rock climbing walls, big slides, etc). I enjoy the Spinnaker lounge, which is comfortable and has a great view. I also love the Great Outdoors, especially for afternoon snacks.  The Bliss ultra lounge is also an enjoyable venue. All-in-all, it's a nice ship.

• Like 1

I did a 2 wk jade TA and loved it.  There was a different show every night, most excellent, and there were some surprise afternoon shows too.  I wasn’t impressed with the regular band, thought they were mediocre, but there were other evening venues with musicians, and karaoke every night in the Bliss.  Like any cruise, it’s as good or as bad as you want it to be.

I've been on the Jade six times in the past couple of years (the first was also the southern Caribbean), with two more cruises coming up in November.  It's my favourite ship (although the Sun and the Jewel are also great).

Norwegian is nice and casual compared to most lines (no mandatory formal nights).  Theatre shows are great most nights.  Food is excellent in the main dining rooms, Grand Pacific is a little nicer/quieter than Alizar (and usually serves lunch on embarkation day).  Your age group fits with most passengers on the longer cruises.  You should like it.

• Like 1