Cruise Critic Community
Madio

Booking Future Cruises while onboard

Wasn't able to find this topic, so I hope I'm not being redundant by starting a new thread.  I would like to know the advantages of booking a future cruise while onboard.  They seem to really push this, and we did it once in the past (I think it was Celebrity, but could have been Princess).  I suppose I should have researched the savings (if there were any), but I didn't.  We have an upcoming cruise on the Crown (Xmas, Southern Caribbean) and wonder if we should look into a future cruise while onboard.  Any thoughts?

Posted (edited)

Generally no savings above what Sale is currently available shoreside .

Just purchase a Future Cruise Certificate onboard which gets you OBC and covers your reduced deposit on the future cruise.

Edited by MCC retired

Just a little bonus.  A small on board credit depending on length of cruise and unless Princess is running a special it's a smaller deposit to get cruise booked.  I get them, but it's not a big bucks bonanza for you.

1 hour ago, Madio said:

Wasn't able to find this topic, so I hope I'm not being redundant by starting a new thread.  I would like to know the advantages of booking a future cruise while onboard.  They seem to really push this, and we did it once in the past (I think it was Celebrity, but could have been Princess).  I suppose I should have researched the savings (if there were any), but I didn't.  We have an upcoming cruise on the Crown (Xmas, Southern Caribbean) and wonder if we should look into a future cruise while onboard.  Any thoughts?

There is no advantage.

We just buy the Future Cruise Deposits onboard and book when we get home.

We have a TA that gives a great discount off the top and does not play the OBC game.

We've seen a promotion that doubled the amount of OBC for booking another specific cruise on board (versus just a Future Cruise Deposit on an unspecified cruise). I haven't seen that promo lately.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

There is no advantage.

We just buy the Future Cruise Deposits onboard and book when we get home.

We have a TA that gives a great discount off the top and does not play the OBC game.

Agreed.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Agreed.

Hi Mr. G,

I also agree. Great minds think a like. 🤔😁

7D3795F4-218A-4894-9B00-509457A52388.jpeg

Edited by Lucky TGO

2 hours ago, notalandlover said:

Can I use OBC to book a future cruise onboard?  If so can we use nonrefundable and or refundable OBC?

No. Booking a future cruise is charged to a credit card, not to your onboard account.

Thanks to all who replied.  Good to know.

I agree with others that there is usually no benefit. But, buying future cruise credits is always a good idea!

11 hours ago, notalandlover said:

Can I use OBC to book a future cruise onboard?  If so can we use nonrefundable and or refundable OBC?

Thank you

Just off the Island Princess today.  I was able to buy future cruise certificates for family who weren't on the cruise and book a family cruise next summer.  It was nice to pay only $100 deposits and get double the future cruise credit because of a special promotion they had on board.  I've attached a photo of the promotion for you.932678943_PrincessOnboardFCCOffer.thumb.jpg.ac4ac1c2511774ec4cf74623d08ba14d.jpg

13 hours ago, JAT0303 said:

Just off the Island Princess today.  I was able to buy future cruise certificates for family who weren't on the cruise and book a family cruise next summer.  It was nice to pay only $100 deposits and get double the future cruise credit because of a special promotion they had on board.  I've attached a photo of the promotion for you.932678943_PrincessOnboardFCCOffer.thumb.jpg.ac4ac1c2511774ec4cf74623d08ba14d.jpg

Thanks! Will check into it when we are onboard in December.

20 minutes ago, Madio said:

Thanks! Will check into it when we are onboard in December.

I always say go with a good TA that can give you even more of an upfront discount off that price without the OBC games. 

Booking direct you are leaving $$$ on the table. 

4 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I always say go with a good TA that can give you even more of an upfront discount off that price without the OBC games. 

Booking direct you are leaving $$$ on the table. 

I actually did both.  I booked onboard but they assigned it directly to my travel agent who gave me another 8+% discount.