Power strips

three acts

First off..apologies if this topic has been beaten to death..but I can't seem to find info...

Does Norwegian allow you to bring power strips on board.?   .I've heard recently that some lines are confiscating them at boarding...won't bother with one if I can't use it.  I'm cruising soon on the Escape and would love to hear from a recent cruiser about this..Thanks...

If you pack a power strip, any power strip, in your luggage, it could be confiscated.  Completely hit or miss.  Best advice, pack your power strip in your carry on.  Much, much better chance of it getting through the screening.  The screening prior to boarding is generally only looking for liquids and weapons.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, three acts said:

First off..apologies if this topic has been beaten to death..but I can't seem to find info...

Does Norwegian allow you to bring power strips on board.?   .I've heard recently that some lines are confiscating them at boarding...won't bother with one if I can't use it.  I'm cruising soon on the Escape and would love to hear from a recent cruiser about this..Thanks...

when on the Pearl in June I was able to borrow one from reception

If you need to charge multiple devices that plug into USB, might I suggest just a multi-USB "brick"?  I have 3 of these in various places (work, bedroom, living room) and can do 90% of my charging through them, the only devices I can't charge with them are my toothbrush and camera (yes, I take a REAL camera, not just my phone).  Any time I go on a trip one of them gets packed in my carry-on (so I can use it in airports - I don't trust the public USB ports) along with the needed cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Premium-Desktop-Delivery/dp/B072K5ZJXF?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2528932011

Yes, I realize there may be other reasons for a power strip, but this solves the need to charge iPhone, iPad, Kindle, Android phone, Android tablet and I'm sure other device charging needs with only one outlet used.

Edited by hallux

15 minutes ago, hallux said:

If you need to charge multiple devices that plug into USB, might I suggest just a multi-USB "brick"?  I have 3 of these in various places (work, bedroom, living room) and can do 90% of my charging through them, the only devices I can't charge with them are my toothbrush and camera (yes, I take a REAL camera, not just my phone).  Any time I go on a trip one of them gets packed in my carry-on (so I can use it in airports - I don't trust the public USB ports) along with the needed cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Premium-Desktop-Delivery/dp/B072K5ZJXF?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2528932011

Yes, I realize there may be other reasons for a power strip, but this solves the need to charge iPhone, iPad, Kindle, Android phone, Android tablet and I'm sure other device charging needs with only one outlet used.

Just so you know, that also has surge protection, so it is a fire hazard and not allowed.  We also use a USB hub, but have made sure to purchase one without surge protection.

9 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

Just so you know, that also has surge protection, so it is a fire hazard and not allowed.  We also use a USB hub, but have made sure to purchase one without surge protection.

Huh, I'll have to look at the ones I have.  I don't have that exact one, it's a newer version of what I have, maybe it's something added for the higher-wattage version...

EDIT: huh - seems ALL of their wall charger products say they have "surge protection".  Now I need to reconsider my choices...

Edited by hallux

55 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

Yet again, there is some discrepancy between the advertising copy and reality, whether it is from Amazon or Anker, I don't know, but while it says it is surge protected, and while I cannot see the plug to be sure, the power cord for the device is typical "grooved" two wire "lamp cord", which means it does not have a ground connection, and therefore cannot be surge protected.  Many times the advertising copy states "surge protection" when in fact the unit only has "voltage regulation".  I don't believe this device is surge protected.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hallux said:

Huh, I'll have to look at the ones I have.  I don't have that exact one, it's a newer version of what I have, maybe it's something added for the higher-wattage version...

EDIT: huh - seems ALL of their wall charger products say they have "surge protection".  Now I need to reconsider my choices...

If the device has only a two prong plug, it cannot be surge protected.

• Like 1

I just brought two power cords with me on my Bliss cruise.  Neither got confiscated, and neither were used. One had a surge protector, one did not.   I'm not bringing them anymore.  I have several outlet adapters that have 4 USB ports that I used instead, especially nice in the one European outlet provided.  So much easier to transport, for me at least.  

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Yet again, there is some discrepancy between the advertising copy and reality, whether it is from Amazon or Anker, I don't know, but while it says it is surge protected, and while I cannot see the plug to be sure, the power cord for the device is typical "grooved" two wire "lamp cord", which means it does not have a ground connection, and therefore cannot be surge protected.  Many times the advertising copy states "surge protection" when in fact the unit only has "voltage regulation".  I don't believe this device is surge protected.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

If the device has only a two prong plug, it cannot be surge protected.

The chief has spoken, I once again stand by my suggestion.  It is, in fact, a 2-prong cord...

• Like 1

We bought a "cheapie" 4 outlet power strip with NO surge protection at our local Dollar Tree & have been using it for years.  I put it in my carry-on bag & have never had any issues.  Before that we used a regular 6 port, three-prong outlet type power strip that we also carried aboard via the carry-on bag.  Again, no issues & I am 99% sure that it had no surge protection capabilities.  However, I know full well that a surge protected power strip can be a fire hazard aboard ship so I replaced it with the aforementioned 4 outlet strip.