Cruise Critic Community
Desert Cruizers

NEWARK CONNECTION 44 MIN

I am looking at my United return flight from San Juan for March and connecting in Newark, the one I would like to take allows only 44 minutes, to me that is way to close for comfort. Boarding would start at around 6:30 PM, doors close probably 6:50. My flights gets in if no delays at 6:16 PM. Other choice would be two connections, EWR then Chicago which departs SJ at 1 in the morning. Those familiar with EWR your opinion. I don't see a Terminal change.

UA flights should all operate from Terminal C.  IMO, I wouldn't take a 44 minute connection, too much could go south fast, even if the weather's perfect.  EWR often has arrival/departure delays.

I''d like at least an hour connection. Is 44 minutes the minimum connect time?  Probably.  Is it in actuality a good thing?  Nah!

28 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

UA flights should all operate from Terminal C.  IMO, I wouldn't take a 44 minute connection, too much could go south fast, even if the weather's perfect.  EWR often has arrival/departure delays.

I''d like at least an hour connection. Is 44 minutes the minimum connect time?  Probably.  Is it in actuality a good thing?  Nah!

So very true, I have only flown through Newark once but had a nice layover. Our option now is SJ 1 AM Monday March 23rd to Newark arriving 5:06 AM 54 Min  stop, Depart EWR 6 AM for Denver arriving at 8:15, daughter is now home, I continue to Palm Springs from Denver at 9:30. Option # 2 to has 2  stops, Newark & CHI both with 1:24 to 2:25 layovers and same cost for myself to go all the way to Houston, saving 2 flights, transfer of luggage. 

11 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I am looking at my United return flight from San Juan for March and connecting in Newark, the one I would like to take allows only 44 minutes, to me that is way to close for comfort. Boarding would start at around 6:30 PM, doors close probably 6:50. My flights gets in if no delays at 6:16 PM. Other choice would be two connections, EWR then Chicago which departs SJ at 1 in the morning. Those familiar with EWR your opinion. I don't see a Terminal change.

It's physically possible to do-- I've had tighter connections at EWR. Make sure you are purchasing these flights on one ticket (ie not a hacker fare that issues two different tickets that the airline would not normally provide a tight connection for) so the airline knows you are connecting. Stating the obvious though-- if one thing goes wrong timing wise have a backup plan. 

I won't do this connection to close for my comfort, looking at the option 2 flight through Newark with 54 minutes then unto Denver, where daughter can head home, I will have a 1 hr 15 minute wait in Denver for my flight to PSP. Trouble with 44 minutes, if no delays, I would have landed at 6:16,  possible heading to new gates by 6:30 ( boarding for 7 Pm flight already started ) , doors close 6:50. Only chance making that if no terminal change and departing gate within the same section of T C. 

2 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I won't do this connection to close for my comfort, looking at the option 2 flight through Newark with 54 minutes then unto Denver, where daughter can head home, I will have a 1 hr 15 minute wait in Denver for my flight to PSP. Trouble with 44 minutes, if no delays, I would have landed at 6:16,  possible heading to new gates by 6:30 ( boarding for 7 Pm flight already started ) , doors close 6:50. Only chance making that if no terminal change and departing gate within the same section of T C

Just to be devil's advocate-- I've historically had far more trouble with two connections than with 1 tight one. Far more can go wrong over three flights than two. Your daughter getting home in Denver might make it worth it, but generally I'm pretty weary of 2 connections in one day if it can be avoided. 

Last time we flew UA's once "Friendly Skies" services out of EWR to ORD-YVR, we sat after push back on the tarmac for 20 minutes waiting in queue, then returned to the gate due to a warning lights, possibly critical flight issues ... waited probably 45+ minutes for ground mechanics did their swap, while everyone stayed seated & buckled in for safety reasons.  Finally wheels up & 30+ minutes late for our tight ORD connection (legal at 70+ minutes) & Flight Messaging already notified us as we taxied to our gate, that we've been auto-rebooked for the next available flight out, about 2 hours later.  By the time we planned & look for our "original" flight status, they're already doing boarding - in the other terminal ... ran like rabbits on fire with our carry-on bags & got there to find them doing final boarding calls, luckily ... hasn't released our confirmed seat assignments to dozens already on standby, waiting to clear.  Suffice to say, we made it & got onboard, had to gate checked our bags on the jet bridge - and heard/watch the cabin door closing behind us as we made our way down to find our seats.  

On our return flight to EWR, we made it mostly without hassle, until we landed & sat at the taxiway for 20+ minutes waiting for an available gate for the bird to pull in ... ground traffic delayed from earlier ATC / flight management holds.  Our adventure could've been far worst ... another time, we're on an international flight & somehow, United routed our back on a domestic to IAD (Washington Dulles) and we checked in using the First Class counter.   Well, IMHO - I wouldn't do it but feel free to take your chances & play the odds. 

There is to much that can go wrong, landing 15 minutes from 1st boarding on your connection. I won't do DFW under 1 1/2 hours. One flight through DFW, due to a gate change and my phone's battery going low and no workable charger,  I missed the notification and didn't check the overhead screen. My error. I was put on a flight connecting in PHX for PSP out of T C, I arrived and 30 minutes later they are telling everyone to go to A, plane issues. I had just left A for C LOL. Once in PHX I received a hotel voucher and with meal. . I got to the PHX INTL early bought new charger cable and waited. The whole trip was traumatic as my DH had suffered a heart attack on cruise and trying to get home where he was medivac  to Sat. I left Sunday to arrive on Monday at 11 AM. i was already an emotional and physical wreck.