Silversea TRYING to attract KIDS

descartes1

I noticed a "special offer" being advertised on the Silversea website for the cruise on the Moon we have booked for next summer--  50% off for KIDS under 18 years old. 75% off for kids under 2 years old.  It is billed as a "Family Cruise Savings" offer.

What the hell is up with this?  I just can't believe it! SIlversea is now trying to attract kids on what has historically been an adults vacation experience.

This could be the end of the line for us with Silversea.  And, clearly this smacks of RC's influence.

PS- If you want to see if this offer applies to your cruise simply scroll through the special offers on the link to your cruise's page.  It applies to many of them as far as I can tell, and I suspect it's par for the course going forward.

Edited by descartes1
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, descartes1 said:

I noticed a "special offer" being advertised on the Silversea website for the cruise on the Moon we have booked for next summer--  50% off for KIDS under 18 years old. 75% off for kids under 2 years old.  It is billed as a "Family Cruise Savings" offer.    What the hell is up with this?  I just can't believe it! SIlversea is now trying to attract kids on what has historically been an adults vacation experience.  This could be the end of the line for us with Silversea.  And, clearly this smacks of RC's influence.

During our recent Silver Muse sailing from Vancouver to Seward, there was a decent mix of younger and older passengers on this seven-day cruise.  This included a fair number of children and teens.  Silversea had a staffer focused on some programs and options for those younger.  Overall, this mix of passengers, including those children, did not create any problems or challenges for us.  All worked well.  Given it was a summer cruise of a shorter nature, I kind of expected this wider mix of passengers compared to being on longer cruises during the school year.  Not sure it is an "influence" that can be blamed on RCCL.  It's just Business 101!!  For Silversea to grow and fund their newer, nicer ships, they need to be attracting and building future cruising audiences.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on the Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details!!  That live/blog is at: 

www.boards.cruiseccritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

During our recent Silver Muse sailing from Vancouver to Seward, there was a decent mix of younger and older passengers on this seven-day cruise.  This included a fair number of children and teens.  Silversea had a staffer focused on some programs and options for those younger.  Overall, this mix of passengers, including those children, did not create any problems or challenges for us.  All worked well.  Given it was a summer cruise of a shorter nature, I kind of expected this wider mix of passengers compared to being on longer cruises during the school year.  Not sure it is an "influence" that can be blamed on RCCL.  It's just Business 101!!  For Silversea to grow and fund their newer, nicer ships, they need to be attracting and building future cruising audiences.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on the Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details!!  That live/blog is at: 

www.boards.cruiseccritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Well, I view this to be a pretty significant  "sea change" (no pun intended) in what Silver Sea is all about.

I really have no interest in being in a restaurant on board seated next to a crying two year old who has been brought on board at a 75% discount.  Also, if you check out the recent reviews, it's pretty evident that there are people unhappy about the pool/pool deck being monopolized by kids.

This reminds me of the family chain restaurants that advertise "kids eat free", or at a discount.  I avoid those now that my kids are in their early 20-s, and I'll avoid Silversea if this is how its going to be.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, descartes1 said:

Well, I view this to be a pretty significant  "sea change" (no pun intended) in what Silver Sea is all about.

I really have no interest in being in a restaurant on board seated next to a crying two year old who has been brought on board at a 75% discount.  Also, if you check out the recent reviews, it's pretty evident that there are people unhappy about the pool/pool deck being monopolized by kids.

This reminds me of the family chain restaurants that advertise "kids eat free", or at a discount.  I avoid those now that my kids are in their early 20-s, and I'll avoid Silversea if this is how its going to be.

Agree with you totally, looking at the website pulls up 311 voyages with this offer, including most segments of next year’s World Cruise and our maiden Moon crossing.

IMHO this will kill SS for many long term Venetians.

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Like 4

This offer has been discussed in another thread, and one CCer posted that these discounts are in fact less generous than those previously offered.

Viking seems to be doing very nicely by banning all children (sub 16 or so, I don't recall).  Virgin is said to plan a similar policy.

My primary issue has been with infants and toddlers, who can substantially disrupt dining, sitting quietly in Panorama, etc., with their shouting, crying and acting out.  Older kids can be unruly, but at least in public areas (dining areas, etc.) they can be effectively distracted with video games on tablets, etc.

I really wish that Silversea would ban kids younger than, say, five years old.  I am told this will not happen because officers want to bring their young kids.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Agree with you totally, looking at the website pulls up 311 voyages with this offer, including most segments of next year’s World Cruise and our maiden Moon crossing.

IMHO this will kill SS for many long term Venetians.

Definitely not a pleasant prospect.  Our Spirit cruises this autumn, Venice to Dubai, also show the 50% and 75% children discounts.  Shouldn't many of these families be occupied by school at that time of year?  And the large discount for babies is really ominous.  At least our  maiden Moon crossing does not mention the 75% baby discount - yet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wellseasoned said:

At least our  maiden Moon crossing does not mention the 75% baby discount - yet.

If you look carefully, you will see that the 75% off for babies does apply to the Moon's maiden crossing.  They don't show it on the long voyage, but if you look at the segments you will see it: Barcelona > San Juan and Barcelona > fort Lauderdale.

Edited by descartes1

Children and especially babies the new demographic of Silversea? And I am paying those prices, among the highest per day in the luxury segment, with 2 future cruise on Silversea. If this is its future, its future, with me in it is... NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Message to Silversea’s marketing department: Don’t start something you can’t stop. This is very foolish, for obvious reasons, unless these babies are very wealthy, very very numerous and have supremely  engaged nannies to keep the dining rooms and deck areas calm and maintain a sophisticated ambience on the ships. Which, we all know, is NOT GONNA HAPPEN either.

The message to the Silversea faithful: SPEAK UP. The world is crazy enough without someone messing around with what works well enough already!

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, markham said:

Children and especially babies the new demographic of Silversea?

This is, unfortunately, not new.  Children (including babies/toddlers) have been welcome on Silversea for a long time.  And I understand they have received discounts if staying in same suite as adults.  

I have endured the crying and shouting and acting out of toddlers in dining areas.  They can disrupt a dinner even in The Grill.  The staff are helpless.  The guests (inc. toddlers) have to eat somewhere.

I really wish that Silversea set a minimum age -- an age where a kid can hold and entertain him/herself with a tablet computer.

I know of two couples who were Silversea veterans and who have migrated to Viking because of risk of encountering children on Silversea.  I love Silversea, but I am growing increasingly frustrated with meals (and not a few!) ruined by the deafening crying/shouting/throwing/table banging of toddlers. I would follow my friends to Viking in a heartbeat if Viking offered decent single supplements.

Edited by Observer
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Observer said:

This is, unfortunately, not new.  Children (including babies/toddlers) have been welcome on Silversea for a long time.  And I understand they have received discounts if staying in same suite as adults.  

Do you mean "permitted"?  As opposed to being "welcome"?  There's a big difference.

This is the first time I have ever seen Silversea actually promoting to this demographic by offering discounts side-by-side with the airfare supplement and early booking discount on its website and in promotional materials. 

It makes total sense for Silversea from an economic standpoint-- It's basically free money to collect another 25% for a baby who won't eat much if anything, or 50% for a kid who will consume food having a cost of far less than that.  The additional revenue dollars outweigh the passenger experience.

Let's face it, Silversea is not what it used to be....

20 minutes ago, descartes1 said:

Do you mean "permitted"?  As opposed to being "welcome"?  There's a big difference.

This is the first time I have ever seen Silversea actually promoting to this demographic by offering discounts side-by-side with the airfare supplement and early booking discount on its website and in promotional materials. 

It makes total sense for Silversea from an economic standpoint-- It's basically free money to collect another 25% for a baby who won't eat much if anything, or 50% for a kid who will consume food having a cost of far less than that.  The additional revenue dollars outweigh the passenger experience.

Let's face it, Silversea is not what it used to be....

I take your point about the difference between permitted and welcome.  However, once they permit infants/toddlers (and their family members!!) they have to make them welcome.  For example, cribs are available.  And I have seen crew race from one deck to another to get a highchair for a toddler who had shown up at a dining facility.

I have no reason to doubt your suggestion that this is the first time Silversea has promoted discounted child fares.

I wonder, however, if it makes economic sense.  I imagine there are others who have avoided Silversea or cruising or moved to Viking because of the possibility that their cruise would graced with a number of infants/toddlers who were acting in age appropriate -- but certainly not luxury cruise appropriate -- ways.  Having a couple of infants/toddlers on board may well produce their modest incremental revenue and the revenue from the parents.  But it can also significantly impact the enjoyment of dozens of other guests who are in hearing range of the kids' tantrums.

My enjoyment of several cruises has been compromised by the presence of toddlers in the dining areas.  I have raised this issue with HDs and Restaurant Managers, etc.  I think they are being honest in saying that they share my unhappiness with this situation -- over which they have no control.

Please understand: Mine is not a plea for a wholesale prohibition of children on Silversea.  Instead, it is a plea for the establishment of a minimum age (five?) to ensure that such children as are on board can be expected to be able to demonstrate the kind of self control (and parental control) that cannot be expected from infants/toddlers.

Edited by Observer
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, descartes1 said:

I think 13 would be an appropriate age cut-off for a the product Silversea purports to be.

I would be quite happy with this.  But my more modest proposal was offered in the spirit of incrementalism.  I imagined that five might be more palatable than 13.

In any case, I wish that Silversea would immediately change its pricing to remove the incentive for bringing under 2's.  Why not make the fare for all children (staying with adults) 50% of the adult fare, rather than an attractive 25% of the adult fare for under 2's?  Are they trying to increase the numbers of under 2's and incentivizing parents to bring their infants/toddlers?

TLCOhio,

With all due respect... The Business101 text you mentiom hopefully has a section about the realities of risk management after the opening chapter on seeking out new business. You don’t surprise, annoy, fool or otherwise turn off your current main customer segment with a Royal Caribbean Line stack ‘em high and sell ‘em cheap, which is what they do to fill their kids club, skating rink, climbing wall and mega wave pool attractions ships all year ‘round. 

This smacks of foolishness. Does Silversea know or care about their current demographic? Who would risk their hard earned cash on a future cruise booking when you won’t know what you’re in for. When cruise lines sell lots of cabins to corporate incentive groups the vibe on the ship can change for the worse. It’s a group mentality thing where their numbers “entitle” them to crowd out others and monopolize facilities. Same with children as far as the older more sedate crowd is concerned. And on a ship without a kid’s club with pool, we have nothing at risk. Please!

I will be wary of Silversea cruises going forward and trust other luxury lines with my money. I have never heard of its Seabourn, Crystal or Regent doing anything as reckless. It’s counterintuitive when you recall that Silversea has the most laissez-faire smoking policy and most formal, traditional dress code among the three which I would not think is conducive to family cruising. But if Silversea wants to become a Royal Caribbean for very wealthy young families who smoke and dress up, well, then it makes sense.

Too crazy!

19 minutes ago, zigtraveller said:

I will have to remain on the expedition cruises as there is a minimum age limit on those who are allowed in the zodiacs. 

I might have to retract my comment above.  I have just checked and can no longer see the reference to a minimum age in the zodiacs and also see that the family special rate is being promoted on Galapagos and Antarctica voyages.

2 hours ago, markham said:

I have never heard of its Seabourn, Crystal or Regent doing anything as reckless.

On selected, publicized sailings, Regent and Crystal both have Kids Sail Free or greatly reduced fares for kids.  I think there is a minimum age of five on Regent.  It's been a while since I sailed on Seabourn and I am not aware of their position on this matter.  

Silver Spectre said above that they found 311 cruises for kids on the Silversea website. Does any other luxury line choose to make such a grab for children? That’s my point.

At first I was imagining and expecting a few Silversea cruises to be discounted so that their ships might get booked earlier during school holidays or summers when parents who want to cruise might want to bring kids. But 311? That’s a Royal Caribbean scope of a number. And I don’t know what the rationale might be for the babies offer...

I tend to avoid cruises during summers and school holidays generally as I abhor ship pool areas being commandeered by children whose parents could care less about the impact on adults. Maybe on Royal Caribbean the kids mix works. But not for me at Silversea prices, and not if I had mistakenly or inadvertently  and consequently foolishly booked one of those 311. It’s caveat emptor, public! Ridiculous.

39 minutes ago, markham said:

Silver Spectre said above that they found 311 cruises for kids on the Silversea website. Does any other luxury line choose to make such a grab for children? That’s my point.

At first I was imagining and expecting a few Silversea cruises to be discounted so that their ships might get booked earlier during school holidays or summers when parents who want to cruise might want to bring kids. But 311? That’s a Royal Caribbean scope of a number. And I don’t know what the rationale might be for the babies offer...

I tend to avoid cruises during summers and school holidays generally as I abhor ship pool areas being commandeered by children whose parents could care less about the impact on adults. Maybe on Royal Caribbean the kids mix works. But not for me at Silversea prices, and not if I had mistakenly or inadvertently  and consequently foolishly booked one of those 311. It’s caveat emptor, public! Ridiculous.

An open search on the SS website pulls up 485 possible voyages and today 308 are available for the Kids offer.

Like you we tend to avoid school holidays, and the odd, well behaved child on a voyage doesn’t detract from our enjoyment. What I cannot understand is applying this to World Cruises, Expedition voyages, transoceanic voyages and many others where having children on the ship is completely inappropriate.

Having once had to share a long voyage with a ‘delightful’, screaming 2 year old and his oblivious parents, we have no wish for a repeat experience.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

An open search on the SS website pulls up 485 possible voyages and today 308 are available for the Kids offer.

I just did the same search at Regent Seven Seas, 469 cruises with special savings for children.  In their policies, the minimum age for children is 1 year old, although cruises 3 nights or less allow 6 months.

1 hour ago, markham said:

Does any other luxury line choose to make such a grab for children?

Sadly, at least one does.

1 hour ago, Observer said:

On selected, publicized sailings, Regent and Crystal both have Kids Sail Free or greatly reduced fares for kids.  I think there is a minimum age of five on Regent.  It's been a while since I sailed on Seabourn and I am not aware of their position on this matter.  

I have seen a 18 month old on Regent, as well as many others under age 5.  I think their minimum age is something like 6 months