Silversea TRYING to attract KIDS

descartes1

2 hours ago, beaujolais said:

Can nothing please you

I actually first contacted Mark Conroy on Aug 22nd., so a reasonable response

Bully for you, some of us have been on the case for a lot longer than that, and had been given assurances that were not kept.

Edited by Silver Spectre

Just finished an excellent cruise on our favourite Silver Wind.Food and service first class thanks to Head Chef Ross and his team.The children issue raised its head on the Pool Deck every afternoon when a group of young children aged approx 4 to 12 dominated the pool to the exclusion of normal paying guests from swimming .Sadly the rules of no diving were ignored .The matter was reported by numerous established Silversea clients of 20+ years sailing with SS.Unfortunately no action was taken throughout the 13 day cruise possibly because some of the children involved belonged to the Captain whose wife was at Poolside daily and did nothing about the noisy and unruly behaviour of the children who stayed in the pool for up to two hours dive bombing and having fun.Appreciate pool deck staff,reception staff, to whom complaints were made to were placed in an invidious position of raising the matter with the parents of the children when some of the offenders were children of their boss!

All makes me think the Saga policy of NO Children introduced on Silversea would be a welcome sign of progress in this area for A LUXURY cruise line .Very sad and sorry to come to this conclusion after 21 years of sailing with Silversea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brimary said:

Unfortunately no action was taken throughout the 13 day cruise possibly because some of the children involved belonged to the Captain whose wife was at Poolside daily and did nothing about the noisy and unruly behaviour of the children who stayed in the pool for up to two hours dive bombing and having fun.

This is IMHO outrageous.  Unfortunately, it corresponds with my experience several years ago when I stopped by the HD's office to register my unhappiness with the ways in which two very young children were allowed to carry on in various dining venues, without action by the maitre d'.  (Well, there was action in at least one case: I was encouraged to move to a different table mid-meal to put some distance between myself and the kids.)  The HD (whom I knew) confessed that there wasn't much he or anyone else on the ship could do, because the family was related to the owners of the line.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Observer said:

The HD (whom I knew) confessed that there wasn't much he or anyone else on the ship could do, because the family was related to the owners of the line.

Funnily enough, pretty much our only encounter on any sailing where we were unhappy with other guests, were 2 separate families on the same cruise, but travelling independently but both were friends of the owner. They were with kids, but it wasn't the kids who were the problem and you could tell staff were not happy with things but powerless to act and a little embarrassed. Every meal we saw either group, the head chief attended their tables to recommend and prepare. No one else got this special attention.

I'm still waiting to hear back with finalised details for my Moon alterations and have requested clarity on the status of the new  approach to encourage kids with discounted bookings.

I've been fortunate to have not seen unruly kids on any sailing, but I suspect that would change if large numbers of kids roaming the ship in gangs having fun but at the detriment of others. It's a slippery slope I think. A few kids is one thing. I just hope SS are not trying to compete with Disney.

Having read back through the thread and the website "error" I'm relieved to see both my Moon sailings are no longer showing the 50% off promotion.

I wonder if the fares are 50% off still for kids, regardless of the removal of the promotion?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, les37b said:

I wonder if the fares are 50% off still for kids, regardless of the removal of the promotion?

I have wondered this as well.  That is, what is the charge for a third person/child in a suite.  The best I can find is the following from Terms and Conditions:

A limited number of suites are available for purchase on a single- or third-guest occupancy basis. The supplement for single occupancy in a Vista, Terrace, Veranda or Midship Veranda Suite ranges from 10% – 100% above the double occupancy fare, depending upon the sailing and suite selected. Single supplement for a Silver or Medallion Suite, Grand, Royal or Owner’s Suites are 100% above the double occupancy fare. Suites for single and third guests are capacity controlled. Fares and supplements are subject to change without notice based on availability.

So this would seem to imply that the third person/child fare is tied to the applicable single supplement, that varies from cruise to cruise and can be be changed as cruise sells.

It would be good to have some information from a TA or other knowledgable person on Silversea policy/practice regarding fares for children on non-promoted cruises.

I understand the concerns and would also be unhappy with unruly small children.
On this months Silversea Alaska there were families with small children, starting with stroller age up to parents and/or grandparents with late teens 20ish children.  Fortunately for all, there were no issues. I believe that summer & Alaska would have far more families than most other Silversea cruises.
I now see why Viking decided to distinguish themselves with their age 18 minimum.  It's good business for them to be different and attract folks concerned about brat misbehavior.
Ironically, earlier in the summer I took my daughter's family including 14 & 16 yr old daughters on Viking River Paris to Normandy.  There were a couple other families with teens aboard.  All of us had paid for the cruise before Viking raised River age from 12 to 18.  All that age group loved the cruise and were unobtrusive. Viking Ocean was always 18 although they used to make exceptions.
I admit I'm looking at Silversea for a family cruise in 2021.

Edited by philw1776

6 hours ago, les37b said:

3 hours ago, Observer said:

It would be good to have some information from a TA or other knowledgable person on Silversea policy/practice regarding fares for children on non-promoted cruises.

Just call your TA.  Pricing for a third guest is readily available for any voyage.

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I don’t think you’re being serious, but just in case you’re not, I think you can rest easy as the Disney product is extremely differentiated versus SS.

Image result for mickey mouse ok

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Just call your TA.  Pricing for a third guest is readily available for any voyage.

I don't need to. I did email my concerns in an add on to the ongoing moon change saga and I'd had a bit of a mixed reply. As was mentioned before "it was an accident" but it was also stated this promotion has always been there and existed and still running. So yes, kids are 50% off. The exception seems to be on the World cruise where it was advertised but now withdrawn.

12 minutes ago, les37b said:

As was mentioned before "it was an accident" but it was also stated this promotion has always been there and existed and still running. So yes, kids are 50% off. The exception seems to be on the World cruise where it was advertised but now withdrawn.

And has a 75% discount for sub-2 year olds also been a longstanding practice -- to be continued?  I hope not.

I wish they would treat Grand Voyages like WCs.  Perhaps they will.  If people are spending tens of thousands of dollars per person and multiple months on a ship, they shouldn't have to deal with kids -- and especially very young, disruptive kids -- whose parents purchased a segment or two.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Observer said:

And has a 75% discount for sub-2 year olds also been a longstanding practice -- to be continued?

I’m not sure, but I just don’t believe the age range has been so defined in the past.  Like I’ve noted before, we have certainly received 75% off when Silver Princess was a teenager.

For those who are interested, the Moon inaugural has the kids promotion still advertised, and that will not change.

Going forward the rule seems to be that any sailings over summer and holidays will have the kids promotion, unless it is a voyage that is not port intensive.

Regent also promotes a family savings promotion, BUT Seabourn does not. (That is, a family savings promotion does not seem to be advertised on its Website like on Silversea and Regent ).  Sea Dream also does not have a kids promotion.

There are other options....

15 minutes ago, descartes1 said:

For those who are interested, the Moon inaugural has the kids promotion still advertised, and that will not change.

Going forward the rule seems to be that any sailings over summer and holidays will have the kids promotion, unless it is a voyage that is not port intensive.

Regent also promotes a family savings promotion, BUT Seabourn does not. (That is, a family savings promotion does not seem to be advertised on its Website like on Silversea and Regent ).  Sea Dream also does not have a kids promotion.

There are other options....

I'm fine with Silversea promoting special fares for kids on selected cruises (e.g. holiday periods) as long as I have other non-kid promoted sailings from which to choose. I will simply avoid the kid fare promotion sailings on Silversea and other cruise lines.  

Has anyone tried the new small Saga luxury all inclusive ship launched earlier this year?

999 passengers on Spirit of Discovery as opposed to our favourite Wind 290 guests.

Advantages ........minimum age 50. Hence NO KIDS.Private transfers to and from ship in UK included.( our recent transfer by taxi to and from Wind at Tower Bridge £480).Any views would be welcome as we consider leaving SS after 22 years on nothing else.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, brimary said:

Has anyone tried the new small Saga luxury all inclusive ship launched earlier this year?

999 passengers on Spirit of Discovery as opposed to our favourite Wind 290 guests.

Advantages ........minimum age 50. Hence NO KIDS.Private transfers to and from ship in UK included.( our recent transfer by taxi to and from Wind at Tower Bridge £480).Any views would be welcome as we consider leaving SS after 22 years on nothing else.

I have heard good things about Saga and this balcony-intensive ship makes it attractive.  Unfortunately, the itineraries are very UK centric, with few if any US departures.  Because it is not all-inclusive, I think Saga could be better classified as ultra-premium rather than luxury.  Another line with no kids is Viking.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, commodoredave said:

I'm fine with Silversea promoting special fares for kids on selected cruises (e.g. holiday periods) as long as I have other non-kid promoted sailings from which to choose. I will simply avoid the kid fare promotion sailings on Silversea and other cruise lines.  

As I understand it (perhaps incorrectly), the significantly reduced fare for kids will remain available on nearly all classic cruises.  Good TAs will surely know about these discounts.  However, SS will not broadly advertise/promote the discounts on cruises other than those during summer/holidays.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Observer said:

As I understand it (perhaps incorrectly), the significantly reduced fare for kids will remain available on nearly all classic cruises.  Good TAs will surely know about these discounts.  However, SS will not broadly advertise/promote the discounts on cruises other than those during summer/holidays.  

Which is how it’s been recently and IMHO how it should be in the future.

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, brimary said:

Advantages ........minimum age 50. Hence NO KIDS.

Don't assume a minimum age of 50 means no kids.  Many of my generation (X) started their families in their late 30's or early 40's.  We have lots of friends in their 50's who have children in middle school and high school.

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Don't assume a minimum age of 50 means no kids.  Many of my generation (X) started their families in their late 30's or early 40's.  We have lots of friends in their 50's who have children in middle school and high school.

Not sure what your point is Stumblefoot, SAGA cruises are for over 50’s only!

We had more kids on each of our 2 Seabourn cruises than I have had in total on our Silversea cruises and they include 2 festive ones.

They were also running a kids club in the games room for our July cruise as Miss W was 18 and they asked if she wished to go 

Brimary -  have a look at the Saga forum; some good reports.  Obviously mainly for those in the UK, but the minimum age is indeed 50 unless you are over 40 accompanying an over 50 (Usually elderly mums and daughters!)  The ships will shortly be all-inclusive drinks wise, although the spirits etc. are not as top drawer as on Silversea, Seabourn etc.

We have cruised Silversea, Regent, and our favourite, Seabourn, and no longer wish to fly, and have had several very good cruises on the older Saga ships.  The new ones look very much on a par with the 'luxury' lines, in terms of space (all balcony cabins, though they are not as large as Seabourn etc.)  Three attractive alternative restaurants, no extra charge, and of course door to door transport within 250 miles, max. two parties in each vehicle.  Included  insurance, and tips.  The atmosphere is fairly  'British' and you will find Brit. things like an excellent cheese board on board.   To an older Brit, like me, it is a no-brainer, especially for those sick of airports and flights and transfers.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Observer said:

I have heard good things about Saga and this balcony-intensive ship makes it attractive.  Unfortunately, the itineraries are very UK centric, with few if any US departures.  Because it is not all-inclusive, I think Saga could be better classified as ultra-premium rather than luxury.  Another line with no kids is Viking.  

Just received upcoming voyage confirmations and contrary to what you say it is total all inclusive including the taxi from home to ship and return and there are no premium restaurants like LaDame on SS.We approach this new venture with an open mind and will try and compare with our experiences on SS in a fair manner.

Edited by brimary
Addition to make