Cruise Critic Community
young_k92

Info and Opinions on Playa Pena

Playa Pena--Walkability from pier? Safety? Info and opinions appreciated. TYIA

Can you give a little more info or check the name of this beach? I am local but I don't seem to recognize the name. Closest thing I can mention is Peña Blanca and that is literally on the other side of the island, about a two hour drive away.

17 minutes ago, Stinger-pr said:

Can you give a little more info or check the name of this beach? I am local but I don't seem to recognize the name. Closest thing I can mention is Peña Blanca and that is literally on the other side of the island, about a two hour drive away.

It's the small beach right in front of the capitol building.  We've only been there once, briefly.  It's very walkable from the cruise ports, but it's a pretty small beach.  No real opinion of it....

41 minutes ago, Stinger-pr said:

To back up alfaeric, it is the small beach down a steep set of stairs behind El capitolio.

23 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

It's the small beach right in front of the capitol building.  We've only been there once, briefly.  It's very walkable from the cruise ports, but it's a pretty small beach.  No real opinion of it....

I'm glad to hear it's walkable from the pier. Can you speak to safety? It seems a little hidden.

Yeah, now I remember! Not really a beach a lot of locals frequent due to safety issues. It's been said to be great for those who are into looking for sea glass, though. How enjoyable the "beach" is is very dependent on how good or bad the surf is that day. Yes, there is some sandy area but most of the bottom is rocky. About safety... The beach sits at a much lower level than the street alongside it. Visibility to persons above is almost none unless you're near at the edge of the small cliff looking down and there's no lifeguards or police at the beach and sometimes there are folks up to no good roaming around so if you decide to go there, be very aware of your surroundings. If you want some advise, walk a bit further to Escambron beach. Much better beach and safer.

2 hours ago, Stinger-pr said:

Yeah, now I remember! Not really a beach a lot of locals frequent due to safety issues. It's been said to be great for those who are into looking for sea glass, though. How enjoyable the "beach" is is very dependent on how good or bad the surf is that day. Yes, there is some sandy area but most of the bottom is rocky. About safety... The beach sits at a much lower level than the street alongside it. Visibility to persons above is almost none unless you're near at the edge of the small cliff looking down and there's no lifeguards or police at the beach and sometimes there are folks up to no good roaming around so if you decide to go there, be very aware of your surroundings. If you want some advise, walk a bit further to Escambron beach. Much better beach and safer.

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you so much. We'll continue on to escambron.