Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 33

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, August 12 and Sunday, August 18.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

I am sure you are all so pleased to know that the weather has improved. Rain has finally stopped, wind has dropped and it has warmed up a little. So Tuesday morning saw the camera get thawed out and put to use. A few birds were about, one seemingly a visitor from far away.

A black winged stilt family

243405074_3stilts.thumb.jpg.9a36f2f5d05af17e5d38fa9d062d86bf.jpg

A white cheeked honeyeater

1194280910_Honeyeater.thumb.jpg.49eac2d1c0b16f8c1891af4a53fa7883.jpg

A female superb fairy wren

513414849_Femalefairy.thumb.jpg.a5ccdf9c84190ad8ece610c0bbcbb554.jpg

and a European goldfinch  ( this is Australia, not Austria you silly bird).

goldenfinch.thumb.jpg.4e67a984d410f4998836ddb2b5487206.jpg

• Like 2

Another outing while the weather was somewhat pleasant, which it is not now.

Visited Serendip Sanctuary near Geelong in Victoria.

Some yellow spoonbills having a chat

456063069_Yellowspoonbill1.thumb.jpg.8fd7e99a3b598670bd679b4715beabb4.jpg

Three whistling kites having a fly around

1628898215_kites3.thumb.jpg.ab32b92a9fa6a5869837023c7a8a5342.jpg

A whistling kit up close (ish)

1587427368_Kite2.thumb.jpg.ee679c0c72d5e3813b9f297bb2af7e05.jpg

Another week of non-photographic activity. The kitchen project is in its final laps and the weekends and evenings are filled with the sounds of saws and screwdrivers and the smell of sawdust and lacquer. Pictured here is a pull-out trash receptacle that is 2.5x larger than the ones easily available online. Why did I have to design and build a larger one? Because I love my wife and she wanted a larger trash can. Another reason is that a pull-out trash receptacle was not in the original design and the larger units online were too wide by far for the space available. Cutting down and framing an industrial container that was a bit too wide and tall was the answer and ended up looking pretty good.

Trash Talking

p3564111871-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 3:57 PM, boeckli said:

Enjoying spring-like weather in the middle of winter ...

RX015407.thumb.JPG.b44c755f5dd2b9e99900505ae7a7b20a.JPG

RX015411.thumb.JPG.a6551ee1c03544d3fcb597d760172956.JPG

RX015451.thumb.JPG.2a575add69677012232dbbba4d84d7ba.JPG

Is this along the Bondi to Coogee walk, or elsewhere?

For those visiting Sydney, Bondi to Coogee it is a great clifftop and waters edge walk for a couple of hours. Around October, there are sculptures installed along the way.

10 hours ago, pierces said:

Another week of non-photographic activity. The kitchen project is in its final laps and the weekends and evenings are filled with the sounds of saws and screwdrivers and the smell of sawdust and lacquer. Pictured here is a pull-out trash receptacle that is 2.5x larger than the ones easily available online. Why did I have to design and build a larger one? Because I love my wife and she wanted a larger trash can. Another reason is that a pull-out trash receptacle was not in the original design and the larger units online were too wide by far for the space available. Cutting down and framing an industrial container that was a bit too wide and tall was the answer and ended up looking pretty good.

Trash Talking

p3564111871-5.jpg

Dave

Great craftmanship!

If you are in Honolulu, and you take side jobs ...

4 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Is this along the Bondi to Coogee walk, or elsewhere?

For those visiting Sydney, Bondi to Coogee it is a great clifftop and waters edge walk for a couple of hours. Around October, there are sculptures installed along the way.

No - this is along the Curl Curl Boardwalk, on Sydney's beautiful Northern Beaches 😎

Edited by boeckli

Catching up on two weekends worth of photos, I had an overcast day in the wetlands on Sunday, which isn't all bad as it cuts back on the heat index a little bit - with an actual temp of 96, during overcast skies and after a rainshower, the 'feels like' temp was only 108.  When the direct sun is beaming down, the heat index jumps to 118-120.

Here are some of the wetlands critters:

A juvenile yellow-crowned night heron...attempting to take a nap in the afternoon to stay true to his name...but opening one eye to make sure the dude with the camera wasn't a threat:

original.jpg

A glossy ibis down in the water, showing off some of his iridescence:

original.jpg

The sun was managing to break through some of the gauzy clouds - when I heard a red-shouldered hawk calling and coming my way, I got ready to shoot, but he came at me almost directly in the sun - so he was massively backlit as he approached:

original.jpg

A juvenile red-winged blackbird, crawling up out of its nest to look out for mom or dad, who was supposed to be returning with some food:

original.jpg

This is a skipper - a smaller moth-like bug, with giant eyes relative to his size:

original.jpg

This banded water snake was crossing the sidewalk where I was approaching - but had decided to just stop and have a rest - despite me being just a few feet away and getting down on my knees to shoot him low, he didn't bother to move:

original.jpg

• Like 1

I also had the chance to wash my car for the first time since I bought it on July 10th.  It has rained literally every day since I bought it, and actually did rain later in the day after the wash, but I was able to tuck it in the garage.  Next day, I had to make a Goodwill drop off, and it hadn't started raining yet, so I got to snap a few shots:

original.jpg

original.jpg

And I couldn't help but buy my car his very own Mini-me...a 1:18 scale version of it, in the very same color:

B37964F576BA4DDB9E9D2972DFD12497.jpg

A151E480AD434BAEB722AFB97395C118.jpg